Author Topic: Double 10 improvement questions...  (Read 9560 times)

Offline Intheshed

Re: Double 10 improvement questions...
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2016, 08:32:31 PM »
Well, as required I found this picture of the engine in as bought condition.

Martin

Offline Johno

• South West, UK
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 05:42:23 PM »
Hi Martin,

For comparison a photo of my recently completed D10.

Cheers

Ian

Offline Intheshed

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 02:12:56 PM »
Very nice, Johno.  I started off painting mine a similar colour, but then decided I don't really like green for engines, so am now painting it in good old Rover Teal Blue. I have a 1/4 litre of cellulose in that colour, so the bed plate and one standard are already painted.
But the main thing is to get the two sets of reversing gear made.  Not because I want to go backuds with a boat, but because it looks so nice, all waggling about and makes the engne worth as much as possible.  All my stuff is potentially pension pot, I'm afraid.

Martin

Offline Johno

• South West, UK
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
I also liked the idea of adding the extra interest of reversing gear to my D10. However, that desire is now being met by my next project in the shape of a Compound Twin that comes with reversing gear. Nevertheless, I am sure I will return to the D10 and add reversing gear one day.

What materials are you using? I am aware the Stuart's do; drawings, individual bits and bobs to full kits at £60+.

Cheers

Ian

Offline Intheshed

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 11:16:26 AM »
Johno,
I have materials, some I already had, some I've bought recently quite cheaply.  I found drawings on the net and what I can't find I can interpolate.  £60 a set is not an option!
I'm hoping to use 3mm brass for the eccentric straps as I have some already.  That will necessitate that the rods end in a T that can be fixed to the strap with 10 BA bolts.

Martin

Offline Johno

• South West, UK
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 11:21:54 AM »
Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Ian

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 02:39:34 PM »
Martin, back on April 7th there was mentioned the hex on the cylinder cover, on the one in my photo this is drilled and tapped, and has a drain cock fitted, along with two in the normal position.
Ian S C

Offline Intheshed

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 10:53:41 PM »
Ian,
is there really a need for three drain cocks per cylinder?  I can't shift the one I've tried to move, so it's probably better left.

I finished painting the bedplate and sanded the paint off the flat surfaces, but the damned paint came off for half a mil all round.  No way I'd repaint it all, so it's a good job I bought those 4 fine sable brushes tother day.

Now polishing the crankshaft, which, I must say does not have a great finish on any of its journals, so probably best left alone as I don't have the gear to make new.  The centre bearing isn't great either, but I have no idea how it runs and won't do till all is finished and timed.  I've taken the eccentrics off now to get the bearings off and next time any go on they'll be for the reversing gear.  Heaven knows how we find out where they go relative to each other then!  I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. In the mean time the crank webs look a good deal smarter than they did as do the bearing tops and oiler cups.

Cheers,
Martin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal