Author Topic: my bolt hole  (Read 4185 times)

Offline JR72

my bolt hole
« on: May 02, 2016, 04:08:05 PM »
Here are a few pictures of my workshop, it is quite small as it was never intended to have machines in it when it was built, that said even with the machines it is adequate for the model engineering I do. The Myford super 7 is the second one I`ve had, a lovely machine to work with bought reconditioned at the factory when it was in Nottingham. I fitted the Dro which I find useful especially when changing to metric from imperial. My earlier Super 7 did not have the gearbox so I often got tangled up in messy change wheels.

The Warco milling machine is for the price great machine, very sturdy and stable, I also fitted a Dro to it, and that has been a great asset as I don`t have to worry about back lash on the lead screws and many other advantages like drilling a number of holes on a Pcd, in fact it s more useful on this machine than on the Myford. I also have (not shown in photos) a rotary table which again is must for a milling machine.

As I said the workshop may be on the small side but cheap to heat in the winter and is plenty big enough for me. I have a Warco band saw, for the price a very useful tool when cutting large bar stock but because of lack of room it lives the garage.

One draw back with my workshop is that it gets really hot in summer, which my wife likes so that I can help her in the garden.

All in all I`m very happy with my fairly well equipped bolt hole. I get a lot of pleasure working there.

John

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: my bolt hole
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 04:32:27 PM »
 8) Nice little Bolt hole John.

Yes I find having a DRO's on my Lathes very handy especially to over come the old imperialists in the collection who seem to like some sort of standard measuring system based on the length of a thumb :facepalm: rather than something sensible like the length of a seconds pendulum  :).

I must buy myself one of those bandsaws but I am not sure where I would put it ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 04:33:42 PM »
Nice! Looks well organized and nicely packed.

And ohhhh windows. It may get hot in there but having windows is wonderful (or would be if I had any).
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 05:35:20 PM »
That is quite a cozy space John. I like the windows too. Now you just need to convince the wife to let you convert the machines to CNC so you can pop over to the laundry room while the machines are doing their thing on their own :)  She would love that!!

BIll

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 11:31:06 PM »
Hi John, having been personally lucky enough to have enjoyed much hospitality and many a cup of coffee in your sunny and inviting workshop, I can attest to it being a most pleasant place to spend time in.  You have done all sorts of interesting and skillful work in there, and it's always a pleasure to take a look around.
 On a practical note, I'm pleased to have these photographs available to me, as I may spot a few things that I will need to borrow soon ...

Cheers, Dave

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 12:03:02 AM »
John,  the shop looks wonderful.  I think if it is well organized,  as yours is,  a smaller shop usually produces a higher grade of work.  I think it has to do with the mindset and work habits of the resident machinist.

Cletus

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 01:09:23 AM »
Nice cozy shop John; well laid out and organized.

I agree with Eric (Cletus) If my shop was a big as his I would just rattle around and not know what to do.  :LittleDevil:

Dave

toolznthings

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 02:34:52 AM »
Nice shop setup, John. Never enough room for us tool addicts ! ;D

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 08:39:26 AM »
Very nice setup  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: Do you have problems with moisture from the washroom causing rusting?
Best regards

Roger

Offline JR72

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 02:41:06 PM »
Hi Guys
Many thanks for your kind comments , always encouraging. I hope to spent a few more years at this great hobby in my cosy little workshop.
cheers

John

Offline JR72

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 02:49:30 PM »
Hi Roger
Fortunately I have very little problems with rust, maybe a little slight surface rust which most times a wipe off with an oily rag is sufficient to get rid of it. I can only put it down to ventilation. Where the roof panels meet the walls not being air tight must cause air circulation, the only time I heat the shop up is when I going to work in there. I have made things out of bms and they have been left without WD40 or the like and there is no sign of rusting. (only oily hands)
Regards
John

Offline JR72

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 02:56:08 PM »
Hi Dave
Great to hear from you again especially with your kind comments, it is always a pleasure sitting in the workshop with you and chatting over a cuppa, I always look forward to it.
I only wish that I might have something you might like to borrow and you would always be welcome but it is more likely to be the other way round, your workshop being far more equipped than mine. But you never know.
Many thanks for your comments.
See you soon
John

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 04:15:28 PM »
That seems a very cosy place! I would for sure like more widows and less mess in my shop.. That Myford looks awesome!

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 08:41:29 AM »
Hi John, thanks for comment, and generous offer of loan ( which I'm very happy to reciprocate, as you know..)
 My list of items to borrow from you is very short right at this moment, all it is, is that absolutely lovely, big light green thing that's at the left hand end of the workshop, ! and I only want it for a few years...

All the best, Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal