Author Topic: 'Tiny' air cooled hit and miss engine.  (Read 9939 times)

Online gbritnell

'Tiny' air cooled hit and miss engine.
« on: April 01, 2016, 03:30:00 AM »
 As the name implies this is a tiny engine. Designed and drawn by a fellow named Arv, alias PutPutman, on another forum it had a tremendous following and quite a few versions were built.
Another gentleman named Gail added his own variations to the design and came up with a mechanism for making it a hit and miss engine rather than just a constant speed engine.
I really enjoy making miniature engines and models so I jumped into the fray and built my own engine with a few modifications to improve things that other builders found troublesome along the way.
 This was a couple of years ago and while I'm waiting for some decent weather to try out the flathead engine I decided I needed to build my own variation of the original. This would be an air cooled version.
I made some changes to the original basic design like threading the cylinder into the base, 1/2-40 thread. Next was to lengthen the base to allow more room for the filler spout at the rear. On this engine I used ball bearings to support the crankshaft rather than plain bearings. I wanted to make it a true hit and miss engine so using a couple of the parts that were donated to me during the first build I came up with my own variation on Gail's design. This one uses more of the traditional link setup found on larger hit and miss engines. To accommodate all the bits and pieces the gears, bolts and brackets needed to be modified to fit into the allotted space.
The engine has a Hall trigger for the ignition. The Hall transistor sits in a small bracket mounted on the side of the base. The 1/8 magnet is pressed into and aluminum disc.
The base and fuel tank are aluminum. The cylinder, head and flywheels are cast iron. The crank is 1144 steel turned from one piece. The rod is aluminum with split bearing inserts.
The spark plug has an 8-36 thread and uses Corian for the insulator.
I only have the fuel line to finish but have to wait on some 1/16 brass tubing for that.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: 'Tiny' air cooled hit and miss engine.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 03:53:50 AM »
Although I know it's small, I still need to see it next to a reference.  ;D  Beautiful work George but you know I have to ask.   :shrug: Are we going to see some plans for download?    :stickpoke:

Don

toolznthings

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 04:00:55 AM »
Hi George,

Always amazing work !

Brian

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 07:47:56 AM »
Very nice indeed  :praise2: I eagerly await the first pops  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 02:56:57 PM »
Beautiful as always George. I do remember that one from the other forum too and it was most impressive!

Bill

Online gbritnell

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 05:18:14 PM »
Thanks fellows,
Don, here's a shot with a quarter sitting next to it for a size comparison.
gbritnell

Offline putputman

• PUTPUTMAN
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 05:57:41 PM »
George, thanks for introducing Tiny A C to this forum. I have followed your build on the other forum and am just fascinated at the way you & Gail are able to cram all the governor mechanism into that small area. Looking forward to see this Tiny running.
For anyone wanting to build a Tiny, the original prints are on my web site. They are in a PDF form & can easily be downloaded. I hope to see more builds and more modifications on this site.
Arv

www.putputman.com
Regards
Arv

Think twice -- cut once -- www.putputman.com

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 06:57:37 PM »
Now just why do you want to go and tempt me with this kinda build,  dammit man  :lolb: :lolb:,We'll just have to sip this over at NAMES.

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 09:13:18 PM »
Thanks fellows,
Don, here's a shot with a quarter sitting next to it for a size comparison.
gbritnell

Wow! Lot smaller than I thought, should have known seeing that its your build. Very nice!!

After working on the tiny engines, does your brain explode when you open the hood on your car and see that monster big engine?!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 09:18:14 PM »
George, thanks for introducing Tiny A C to this forum. I have followed your build on the other forum and am just fascinated at the way you & Gail are able to cram all the governor mechanism into that small area. Looking forward to see this Tiny running.
For anyone wanting to build a Tiny, the original prints are on my web site. They are in a PDF form & can easily be downloaded. I hope to see more builds and more modifications on this site.
Arv

www.putputman.com

Just over checking out your site, some great stuff! Thanks for the link!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 09:21:40 PM »
George is my kinda fellow,  now,  the ladies might not agree,  but,  George says size don't matter  :lolb: :lolb: I'm just shickled titless that in a few weeks I get to shake his hand  :NotWorthy:

Cletus

Already got his autograph  8)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 12:07:45 AM »
Arv, good to see you over here in MEM. Hope you will decide to be an active member. Very nice website by the way!!

Bill

Online gbritnell

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 01:10:21 AM »
Cletus,
I'll certainly be looking forward to it.
I'm working on a set of drawings showing all the changes, and only the changes that I did in making this engine. You would still need Arv's drawings for the basics. I'm also including the bits and pieces for the governor mechanism.
gbritnell

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 01:29:00 AM »
Beautiful George!

I too am looking forward to being able to see this and all your other spectacular engines later this month at NAMES.
If I can push Eric out of the way I might even be able to shake your hand too. :lolb:

Dave

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 01:53:59 AM »
Always a fan George.  Impressive work as usual.

Regards,
Rudy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal