Author Topic: New Boiler System  (Read 7307 times)

Offline Grant Jones

New Boiler System
« on: March 21, 2016, 05:50:13 PM »
Here are some pictures that may be of interest for a new full-size boiler system that I recently designed. It produces 100,000 lbs. per hour and operates at 150 PSIG.
Pictures are of the construction phase showing the mud drum and tube installation, then the draft fan being hoisted into the site.
Hey "Tangler", not bad for a little "troll".
Grant

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: New Boiler System
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 08:18:12 PM »
Nice!

What will it be supplying, manufacturing or heating? Or both?

Dont suppose you can run a small steam hose cross country to my house?   :)

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 09:12:36 PM »
That is a REALLY big model grant.
Bob
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Offline Grant Jones

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 09:33:00 PM »
This is one of six boilers housed in a central plant that supply the entire campus of the University of Saskatchewan via an underground network of tunnels. All lines/joints are fully xray'd, as even a pinhole in the line at these pressures will potentially scald anyone walking by.
Grant

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 11:13:52 PM »
Very interesting. I would like to see some photos of how that boiler got from where it was assembled to where it will be used. I would have thought something that big would have to be assembled in place.

And how did the tubes get connected in to that lower drum?

I have been working on a real boiler for a narrow gauge locomotive, but our main drum is only about 24" diameter.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 03:55:14 AM »
Hi Grant,
 Very nice "D" shaped boilers. We had 2 at the last place I worked, running at 2400kpa producing if memory serves somewhere about 60 tonne per hour. One is now 33 years old & still going strong! A couple of years before I left it had some tubes removed & replaced. The guys doing the job cut them off about 1/2" above the drum & then they air arc'd the finial piece of swaged tube out of the drum! They really knew what they were doing as there was no marks on the drum!
We also had a waste heat boiler running at 100 bar producing 160 tonne per hour....now that is something you DONT want to get out of the pipe work!

Ron,
 The boilers were all delivered as a whole from the makers. As above the tubes were all swaged into the drum.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 11:17:38 AM »
Does that mean someone had to work from inside the drum to put a swedging tool into the tube? I have done tubes in a locomotive boiler and I am familiar with the roller tool we use, but each end is, somewhat, easy to reach.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 12:00:00 PM »
Hi Ron,
 Yep, when the tubes were cut out it was done on site. Our drums were big enough to crawl thru, you don't want to be too big round the middle as getting thru the doors was the hard bit....you don't see many big boiler inspectors! It must be a bit of a jigsaw to get the tubes all fitted up..... oh then you have to weld the fins together between the tubes to give you the right gas flow path!
 I had some pictures of the bits that were cut out if anybody is interested....& I can find them  :headscratch:

Maybe Grant has got some pictures of it being done

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Grant Jones

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 08:12:10 PM »
Here are a few more pictures, this shows the boiler on the transport truck and then rigged into the plant. I have never been involved in replacing tubes in a D type boiler, but it is my understanding that if the tube stub ends that are welded into the drums are sound, they swage the new tube to fit over the stubs and then weld it at the joint.

Offline Grant Jones

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 08:17:59 PM »
The last pics showed the completed burner section as well as a guy "sucking" the boiler into its final position with a portable hydraulic unit. The boiler was skidded on nothing more than 1"x6" planks under the boiler. The planks were greased up with household lard, which surprisingly worked very well. Here is the picture of the boiler in transport.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 11:02:46 PM »
That's an impressive project! It's always interesting to see how people deal with really big and heavy things. 

The boat yard, where I used to have my salmon troller hauled out to do the bottom work, had 3 ways. One of them was a wood carriage sliding on wood beams. There were boats up to about 50' hauled out on that one.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 01:48:51 AM »
That's an impressive piece of work and a very nice installation.
Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Offline Sackett

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2016, 01:21:46 PM »
My last real job was boiler operator for a sawmill in NC. We dried a milloin + board feet of lumber a week, using sawdust n bark as fuel. Fed the boiler with a "cat" frontend loader. If both kilms were pulling hadr was a cvhore to keep fuel on the chains even with that.The unit was installed in 1973, n every year, the boiler inspector commented on how good the insife of it looked. We had automatic chem injectors for the feedwater, n had to do water tests 4 times / shift

Kinda a different creature than what we run into here huh

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2016, 02:05:33 PM »
I noticed one of the Photos had a label saying   Saskatoon    Is that the place where saskatoons come from ??  i have a few of these growing on my allotment here in Norwich UK  !!!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2016, 03:31:24 PM »
So are the tubes expanded into the holes by a small boy inside the main large tubes or are they welded ??  Good stuff.......glad to see this still happens
Willy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal