Author Topic: Chris' Built-up MEM-Corliss Build  (Read 197284 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris' Built-up MEM-Corliss Build
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2016, 09:14:23 PM »
Still waiting.  ;D

The shark is pretty cool. Got a name for it? Ever think about sticking a camera inside/on it?
Waiting? I just posted progress pictures.... See how that works?  O:-)

And anything with that many teeth gets called whatever it wants!

I havent put a camera in any of my subs yet, some of the other guys have - there are so many small portable camera systems out now from the train/plane/quadcopter worlds that the prices have really come down. For now, concentrating on some of the tweaks it needs to balance it properly, it worked, but was not too easy to control till its balanced just right. It barely fits in the tub, and the local pond is still too flippin cold to do it there.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2016, 09:18:44 PM »
Boy on a summer Saturday afternoon down at the redneck swimming hole,  after way too many Blue Ribbons,  I could sure have a ball with that sub and a few of them "good old boys " :lolb: :lolb: Nice sub and work  :ThumbsUp:. No cookies required  :lolb:

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2016, 02:31:34 PM »
Ah, the clarity of a fresh start in the morning to reveal the brain-farts of the day before...

When starting in on the next batch of mount holes in the edge of the end-plates, I realized that I was making way too much work for myself. I was drilling/tapping all the holes around the edge in the thick plates to hold the bolts for holding the thin plate for machining them together, then later was going to drill them out to clearance holes so the bolts could pass through into the top/bottom/side plates. Why do all that extra work, when I could start with the clearance size, and hold the plates together with nuts/bolts temporarily? Doh!!   :wallbang:

So, with that simple thing figured out, went back, drilled out the tap-sized holes already done and drilled the rest of the side holes at a close clearance size (photo 1), and ran in all the nuts/bolts in the plates to get ready for boring out the center for going over the ends of the cylinders. (photo 2). Much quicker, same result. Sigh.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2016, 04:54:24 PM »
Clarity is a wonderful thing eh Chris? There is probably a Yogi-ism about that somewhere but it does bring to mind an article I read years ago written by a major league umpire who was describing an episode in response to a batter who asked him if he needed glasses to call balls and strikes....the umpire responded, nope....on a clear day I can see the sun and it's 93,000,000 miles away, and then promptly ejected the batter from the game  :lolb:

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2016, 09:16:35 PM »
Sigh.

A familiar term (word?) in my world. I don't expect I'll see it much here.

Anything interesting yet?  :Lol:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2016, 09:38:54 PM »
Sigh.

A familiar term (word?) in my world. I don't expect I'll see it much here.

Anything interesting yet?  :Lol:

Interesting that you ask...   ummm.... Nope!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2016, 05:52:03 PM »
Something interesting for the ZeeCarl...

Got a start on boring out the centers of the end plates to fit over the cylinders. Started out by centering up the first plate set in the four-jaw using the dial indicator (photo 1).

Then drilled a starter hole, and began boring out the middle the rest of the way (photos 2/3). With the boring bar not extended as far as was needed on the cylinder, did not have any of the chatter issues, got a very nice smooth surface all the way. Still had to stop every pass or two to clear the clumps of curly shavings that built up (they look like the furball that a robot cat would cough up!).

When I got close to final size, did a few very light cuts and spring passes (think that is the right term, extra pass without moving the cutter out?) until the cylinder was just able to slide in (last photo). The measurements on the step cut on the cylinder were good, the end came out flush on the far side.

While it is still centered up, I am going to move the chuck over to the rotary table on the mill and drill the end cap bolt holes through the outer thin plate, and then remove the plate to through-tap the holes. Then, on to the other sets of plates....

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2016, 06:37:16 PM »
Nice setups Chris and I enjoyed the shark sub. I wander how well that would work around here. We have very muddy waters and gators. Thanks for sharing it....... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2016, 07:56:29 PM »
Nice setups Chris and I enjoyed the shark sub. I wander how well that would work around here. We have very muddy waters and gators. Thanks for sharing it....... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Thanks!

Its great to build/test new subs in winter since we are in at the local pool every month, nice clear water, plus lifeguards to go retrieve any that only submerge. In the summer, the ponds here are a bit murky, but can see down at least a couple feet usually. With gators around, substitute Kevlar cloth for the fiberglass cloth, and install real teeth (plus really fast motor to get away!).

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2016, 08:12:56 PM »
Got a bit more shop time this afternoon after lunch with some ex-coworkers, got the holes spot drilled (photo 1), drilled (photo 2), removed the thin plate and tapped, and then put the plates put back together.

For the rotary table setup, I screwed down the 4-jaw chuck with the center screw adapter (which centers the chuck on the table), then found the setting on the rotary table that aligned the table to the mill, rough setting by eye, then fine tuned by running the table along till the edge had same distance to mill head. With that reading known, offset the table to the desired distance from the bore center, and cranked the table around 22.5 degrees to the first hole, then 45 degrees at a time for each subsequent hole. I'll leave the mill table locked down at that position for the rest of the plates. For each plate I'll make sure the plate is square to the table still, since the 4-jaw might stop in a slightly different angle each time.

In the last two shots you get a better idea of where I am going with the built-up block - the holes around the edge will allow bolting in the top/bottom/side plates, and the cover plate will bolt into the new circle of holes at the end.

Tomorrow on to the next set of plates - this first one was at the outer end, so has smaller bolt holes, the other end will use the same bolt circle but larger holes for the bolts that hold the bottom plate and cross slide tube on. In the plans, the cover plate would be a narrower pattern, but due to the cylinder core coming through, I am going to use the larger circle at both ends. It was handy being able to remove the thin plate to tap through, easy to clear chips and also get good threads all the way to the bottom of the hole.

Don, you may be happy about the cover plates, have not decided yet but they might be brass rather than steel, since I have some proper diameter brass bar already. If I make them out of steel, it will either be from flat plate turned round, or I have to go up to a much larger diameter and turn them down, since the next size up I have in steel round is 2-3/8". May be easier to make them brass since I already have the right diameter, and the material wont matter for strength, and the paint will hide the difference anyway... Not sure yet.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2016, 09:21:32 PM »
Don't we have a 'yawning' emoticon?  :shrug:

Can't use it here anyway. Belongs over on the 'food channel'.

Spent some time on your monitor thread last night figuring out how to do my next part.

Always something to learn in your stuff.  :ThumbsUp:

"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2016, 09:55:59 PM »
Don't we have a 'yawning' emoticon?  :shrug:

Can't use it here anyway. Belongs over on the 'food channel'.

Spent some time on your monitor thread last night figuring out how to do my next part.

Always something to learn in your stuff.  :ThumbsUp:

Sorry, not as exciting as the ZeeChannel on ze tv...!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2016, 10:43:41 PM »

Nah. More interesting here. Consider how much time I spend here rather than adding to my own thread.   :Lol:
Consider also the 'people' I must contend with.  :lolb: :lolb:

The 'zeechannel' is more like the 'dumpchannel'.  :lolb:

(Just to be clear...no complaints on my side. I'm having a blast. Hope you are too.)
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2016, 12:05:01 AM »

Nah. More interesting here. Consider how much time I spend here rather than adding to my own thread.   :Lol:
Consider also the 'people' I must contend with.  :lolb: :lolb:

The 'zeechannel' is more like the 'dumpchannel'.  :lolb:

(Just to be clear...no complaints on my side. I'm having a blast. Hope you are too.)

Maybe you were Jerry Springer in another life... Ick!   :ROFL:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2016, 12:41:44 AM »
Ick indeed.

If I had a choice in another life...it might be Sean Connery. T loves him.  ;D
Otherwise it would be Paula Prentiss' hubby...but I never cared for him.
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal