Author Topic: 'Maybe' of interest to some.  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Nick_G

'Maybe' of interest to some.
« on: April 06, 2016, 03:48:30 PM »
I have posted this upon another forum. But I know there are many on here that are not upon both. I particular the last image where some help is required as I know this site has a high percentage of American users. (and that is where the machine came from)

Visited my mates workshop to enable me to broach a keyway into a flywheel hub.

While I was there I took a few snaps of some of his more unusual machines that were once a fixture of every jobbing engineering works in addition to the usual lathes, capstans and mills he has.

But most of the pics are from a corner where he has stashed a collection of old static engines. - He plans someday (he has been saying someday for the last 25 years) to restore them. - I thought they may be of some general interest especially to those builders of model static engines.

Slotter

Scrap. ......... Lots of this EVERYWHERE.!!!

Drill bank of drill, chamfer and tapping head.

Engines :-

Lastly. He has recently purchased this mill. Looks a very sturdy and well made machine that had not had a hard life. But has no technical information upon it. He really needs to know what grade of oil the gearboxs require. I said I would ask here if anyone had access to such information.

Hope these are if interest so some of the members here.

Nick

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: 'Maybe' of interest to some.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 04:03:38 PM »
Great pictures, thanks for posting them! I always loved taking tours of manufacturing areas - early in my career at Kodak's main equipment factory, some of us computer geeks would grab clipboards, look like we were there on business, and wander around the manufacturing areas just for the fun of seeing all the machinery. The plant had buildings full of general machining areas that were in-house job-shops for the other production lines (which made everything from cameras, projectors, printers, copiers, etc). Sigh, all gone now, miles of buildings turned to rubble.  :facepalm:

Sorry, can't help with the lube question, but thanks for the pics!   :ThumbsUp:

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 05:07:08 PM »
Great pictures and thanks for sharing.  I hope he eventually restores those engines.  I see some reaL GEMS there

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 05:29:58 PM »
I am imagining that Jo will be devastated about that drill bank. Presumably I am guessing because she ain't got one.!  :o

But she will soon fix that though.  ;)

Nick  ;)

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 07:36:25 PM »
I have just remembered that a while ago I took some video in that workshop.

Years ago there were dozens of machine shops like this in every town. ......... Sadly no more.  :(

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRp7F9ObeLA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRp7F9ObeLA</a>

Nick

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 08:11:43 PM »
I am imagining that Jo will be devastated about that drill bank. Presumably I am guessing because she ain't got one.!  :o

But she will soon fix that though.  ;)

Nick  ;)

Hello Nick_G

I have one that's stood idle for a few years needs some really extensive TLC !!   ;)

Kind regards, Graham.

It, like you, came from Warrington!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal