Author Topic: Center Drill  (Read 2027 times)

Offline sssfox

• Rest In Peace
Center Drill
« on: March 15, 2016, 03:51:33 PM »
A couple of years ago, I bit the bullet and shortened the tapers on all of the drill chucks I use in my 7x lathe.  After I was done, I had several tapers left.  Since, like everyone else, I use a center drill quite often, I decided to drill one of the tapers out to hold my most often used center drill.  I posted a picture of the result.  The only caveat is you need to verify that the taper isn't hardened.

What made me think of this now is I saw a video of a guy with his mini-lathe and necessary accessories this week.  He had two chucks he used for different sized drill bits and two he used exclusively for his center drills.

I buy what I need, but I'm not known to spend more than absolutely necessary.  To me, tying up a couple of drill chucks just didn't seem like a good use of funds when there is such a cheap alternative.  Not only that, a drill chuck takes up more space and is longer.

Of all the videos I have watched and all of the forum entries I have read, I have never seen this before, so I thought I would pass it along.  I know that an item similar to this can be purchased, but it cost almost as much a a drill chuck.

Steve Fox

Offline Holt

• Denmark
Re: Center Drill
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 04:41:07 PM »
very nice idea, especially if the space is limited. On my Colchester, I would be afraid the centre drill wouldn't reach the workpiece in some cases.

Holt

Offline sssfox

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 04:44:23 PM »
When I made this, I had a 7x10 lathe.  Shortly after, I converted it to a 7x16, so space isn't as much of an issue as it once was.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 04:51:13 PM »
You're right.  Dedicating chucks to a single drill is silly.  After buying my lathe in '82, one of the first things I did was make a taper and mount a center drill.  Since buying an Albrecht chuck for the tailstock, I don't use it very much but it remains a good idea.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline kvom

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 08:02:08 PM »
One place I use a dedicated tool holder on the mill is the edge finder.

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 08:21:54 PM »
Wouldn't a collet be even better (shorter)?

Offline sssfox

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 09:10:29 PM »
Wouldn't a collet be even better (shorter)?

Might be the same, but I don't believe it would be shorter, but I don't have one for my tailstock.
I wasn't particularly trying to make it as short as I could, I was trying to make it shorter than the drill chuck and cheaper.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal