Author Topic: Hoglet (first IC engine)  (Read 50162 times)

Offline PJW

Re: Hoglet (first IC engine)
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2016, 11:49:09 AM »
Hi following the sizes on my drawings my electrode just just pokes out of the head, as shown,
Peter
Old Guys Rule the Dark Side of the Shed!

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2016, 01:32:49 PM »

Just looks like you and Jo are the Perfect match as I can only think of 2 engines from her :Love:

I best check the address she sent me to send her those No.9 parts to. - Perhaps I am really sending then here.?  ;)

Nick.  ;D

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2016, 02:07:55 PM »
Nick,

That is not Jo's house but her next door neighbour  :censored:

Mike
"Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place"

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2016, 06:51:28 PM »
Bless her heart,  least she's staying busy  :stir: :lolb:

Big E

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2016, 02:15:49 PM »

Pressing on with the cylinder heads. The jig was placed back into the lathe 4 jaw and dialed in with the heads mounted onto it. This was to enable the cooling fins to be cut with a modified parting tool having ground a rounded tip.

Nick

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2016, 05:14:05 PM »
Very nice looking Nick!  Good pictures too  :ThumbsUp:
Kim

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2016, 08:40:30 PM »
Thanks Kim.  :)

Bit more progress.

Made the 4 valves a bit too long so that the recess made for the live centre could be tuned away.

The supports for the rocker arms have also been made. It's the little bits like this that I find take far more time than you would think.

I also made the valve springs on the lathe out of music wire.

I have to yet still shorten the valves and cut a groove in them that will allow an 'E' clip to be pressed on and hold the valve keeper and it's spring into position.

Starting to 'look' like an IC engine. ............. Although knowing eyes will be aware that the time consuming and tricky bits are yet to be made.

The valves still need to be lapped. Although I have done one of them which took about 2 hours while watching TV

Nick

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2016, 09:38:15 PM »
Great progress Nick.  At this rate you will finish it in no time.

Vince

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2016, 10:13:59 PM »
Great progress Nick.  At this rate you will finish it in no time.

Vince

Not 100% sure about that Vince.  :D

I am planning to make some deviations from the drawing to make this as  Jason termed it a 'Nicklet' - i.e. make it basically the important bits as per drawing and then some deviation to make it my own.

This (as planned) is as follows :-

Make a 'proper' crank with 2 split bearings and dogleged  con rods to bring them back into line with the bores. I am not a fan of the Harley big end layout. I know that to an American that is equal to insulting 'Moms apple pie' and all things wholesome. If I was  American I would be shot for being unpatriotic.!  ;) - Especially if I was in Texas.  :embarassed:
I will then make a larger dia and wider fly wheel and thus place it outboard of the skeleton crankcase. Hopefully this will make for a nice slow tickover.
The crankshaft mains will run in 3 possibly 4 ballraces.

I am sure that I will not be the first to alter the iconic V layout. After all the classic Harley engine was designed (I have been told) in 1936 as a water pump engine. So it was probably originally adapted as a utility engine in many applications before it was made infamous famous  ;) by Harley Davidson.

Anyway. I am really enjoying the build and am very appreciative of the vital assistance I am getting.  :ThumbsUp:  :)

Nick

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2016, 10:35:49 PM »
A very nice build, attention to details and finish are impressive, and crisp pictures too, a first class thread.

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2016, 05:41:58 PM »
Very nice build !! I wish my mini version went this quick !!

"I am sure that I will not be the first to alter the iconic V layout. After all the classic Harley engine was designed (I have been told) in 1936 as a water pump engine. So it was probably originally adapted as a utility engine in many applications before it was made infamous famous  ;) by Harley Davidson. "

Okay...yes I'm a Harley aficionado... Harley Davidson was first built in 1903 !! A purposely built motor bike.

Keep it up with your build...it's diffidently turning out very nice !!
Never assume the implied task has been completed !!

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2016, 08:17:07 PM »

Just to let you know I have not been slacking. ........................ (totally)

I have been carving out larger bits and stacking them unfinished on the build so far so that I can get a feel of how it is going to lay out. This is so I can mill holes, drill and tap the aluminium plate base. I am needing to do this as I am deviating prom the plan quite a bit. - It's gaining size and weight.

I will post pics etc. of the machining of the various sections as I step to the finishing stage of each one.

Nick

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2016, 12:47:12 AM »
Very cool Nick! Great work!  :ThumbsUp:
I'm very curious of how your version of this engine will turned out.
Thanks for sharing.  :cheers:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2016, 12:48:37 AM »
I am following along too Nick though quietly. As has been said already,  first class workmanship and excellent pictures too!! 

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2016, 02:16:16 AM »
Those are some gorgeous photos Nick and the engine is a real beauty....... :praise2:

:cheers:
Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal