Author Topic: Really Small Hardware  (Read 10747 times)

Offline sssfox

• Rest In Peace
Really Small Hardware
« on: March 11, 2016, 07:57:07 PM »
As I have said other places, I'm preparing to build an engine based on the MEM Corliss.
I really haven't used really small hardware before and was wondering if anyone has a source for small samples of nuts and bolts below 4-40 and the equivalent metric sizes?  I don't mind buying a bag of 25 when I'm planning on using them, but not just to see how big they are.

I have the taps and dies for everything, but the determining factor as to size is usually the head of the bolt and the size of the nut.  I can find those dimensions, but nothing really beats seeing them in person, so to speak.

Thanks,
Steve Fox

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Really Small Hardware
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 08:10:20 PM »
Steve, try your local fastener supply house or a really good old fashioned hardware store. Places like Fastenal or similar would likely give you a sample or two.

Bill

Offline sssfox

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 08:36:51 PM »
I already tried.  We only have one old-style hardware store left in town (two closed and one burned down) and they only go down to #2-56 and not a large selection of those.  My fastener store (Fastenal), has had a box minimum for the last five years at least.  I didn't ask for samples since they don't break a box any longer, but I don't believe they go below #10 anyway.  Last time I went, I was looking for #4-40 and they didn't carry them.

I have tried calling several other fastener companies in the last week and they all sell by the box.  After that, I didn't even ask their smallest size.  Times have changes.

A box of #0-90 must be really small.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 08:48:51 PM »
http://www.americanmodeleng.com/id42.html

Don't know if they will do samples but they use a smaller than standard hex which looks more liek the old style fasteners

Likewise if you are going for metric than don't use standard ISO size hex, there are a few european makers of more scale looking fixings

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 08:50:03 PM »
:headscratch: 4-40 is bigger than what I normally use. For the triples I am making my own  ;) they are equivalent to your 3-56's. The smallest bolts I have made were 16BA which is the same sort of size as your 000-120. What is nice about making your own is you get a nice unthreaded shank with just the right amount of thread  8)

There must be an on line model engineer supplier in your country that will do you what you need. In the UK I would point you to EKP  :-\.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline ICEpeter

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 09:02:17 PM »
Hello Steve,
I purchase my small fastener hardware from typically two places. Both suppliers can be found on the internet. The first one is Micro Fastener, the other is Fastener express (www.fastener-express.com) Don't have the Micro Fastener web address handy right now but can be found when you google the name. Both companies sell the fasteners in imperial and metric down to M 1.5 in steel / ss / aluminum. Hope my info helps.

Peter J.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline sssfox

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 09:11:01 PM »
:headscratch: 4-40 is bigger than what I normally use. For the triples I am making my own  ;) they are equivalent to your 3-56's. The smallest bolts I have made were 16BA which is the same sort of size as your 000-120. What is nice about making your own is you get a nice unthreaded shank with just the right amount of thread  8)

There must be an on line model engineer supplier in your country that will do you what you need. In the UK I would point you to EKP  :-\.

Jo

I've never heard of 000-120.  I know watchmakers use very small threads, but I don't know what they are.  Do you thread your 000-120 with a die or a threading plate?

I sent an email to Micro Fasteners asking if they can come up with a sample set.  I've purchased from them before and have been satisfied.  I'll try these other places.

Thanks all.

Offline sssfox

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 09:18:41 PM »

Jo

That is always an option, I've done it before.  I would like to at least have an example so I know I am making the correctly.

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 11:15:47 PM »
Most of the best US sources were listed but here is a thread I started on this subject:
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,628.msg5766.html#msg5766

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 11:35:25 PM »

Or modelfixings

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 07:33:16 AM »
I've never heard of 000-120.  I know watchmakers use very small threads, but I don't know what they are.  Do you thread your 000-120 with a die or a threading plate?

I looked it up on my chart as I don't use American threads ::) The thread on a 16BA is a nice thick 0.8mm (0.031")

I always use a dies held in the tailstock. But Mr Silky reminded me that he is more than capable of threading down to 250 Tpi  :o

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 07:40:44 AM »
But Mr Silky reminded me that he is more than capable of threading down to 250 Tpi 
Mr scratchy also has 0.004" / rev feed :LittleDevil:

For scale looking metric fasteners in the UK Bruce is the only place I know that does machined small & tall hex, Model fixings are OK for barstock & aero engines but out of place on a Corliss.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 07:51:18 AM »
250 TPI is a threading rate not surfacing. I thought the Warco machines only went down to 80 Tpi  :noidea:.

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2016, 07:58:40 AM »
250 TPI is a threading rate not surfacing. Jo

That was the point I was making, its so fine that I could do the same using the feed screw. What would be the thread depth on something that fine?

56tpi on mine unless I use extra changewheels, (or 0.2mm metric)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal