Author Topic: A few photos of Chipswitheverything's workshop  (Read 12350 times)

Offline Chipswitheverything

A few photos of Chipswitheverything's workshop
« on: March 10, 2016, 03:31:24 PM »
The American model engineers will look at these photos and wonder why on earth most UK modellers want to cram themselves away in spaces where they have a job finding room for a bench....!!   It's just all about the property and land prices, especially in the south of England where I am...

So, this is a workshop fitted into a single size garage. I might be better off with a machine or two fewer and a bit more bench, but I like my machines.  In particular, I'm fond of the older British machines, the sort that were always advertised in the Model Engineer magazine when I first started taking an interest in the hobby back in the 1960's.  Hence the Myford Super7, the Tom Senior "Junior" mill that can be used as a horizontal if required, the TS "Light Vertical", and a Cowell drill. ( I have got a little, more modern, Cowell 90 lathe also ). The "Flott" precision drill is German, 1960's. Recently I have raised it up on blocks to make it more comfortable to use. The Clarkson grinder that appears in a photo has gone now, but I have a Quorn tool grinder.
 The Westbury bench mill was designed by Edgar T. Westbury and written up in the early 60's ME magazines. Not many model engineers had a milling machine back in those days, and it was ETW's way of introducing a machine that might be buildable/affordable to modellers of that era.  I didn't make it though, I bought it in unused condition from the estate of a deceased local model engineer.  He had commissioned it from a local engineering company.

Cheers, Dave

Offline oil mac

Re: A few photos of Chipswitheverything's workshop
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 04:10:59 PM »
Lovely shop chips, most commendable, your cleanliness and good order is sadly not seen very often  in general engineering  (except for really high tech CNC establishments)  The modern "flame cut & grind  brigade" is all to often thought to be the norm by the T.V. news pundits, Nice to see a good model engineer showing how it should be done!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 04:11:26 PM »
Nice workshop there Dave!  You've got everything you need in close by.  And very tidy!
I like it!
Kim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 04:25:57 PM »
Very well equipped and neat shop Dave, thanks for sharing it.

Don

Online mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 04:29:57 PM »
Given the cleanliness of the shop I presume that your nom de plume describes your fascination with junk food rather than a reference to your work habits.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 04:33:11 PM »
Looks like a nice cozy shed to me Dave. Both well equipped and well organized....bravo!!

Bill

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 05:11:40 PM »
Actually it's a little bigger than my shop but then again I don't have as many machines. Looks nice and tidy. Thanks for sharing.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Online Chipmaster

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 07:40:50 PM »
Dave that puts me to shame, I have ladders, shelves loaded with tins of paint, household maintenance gear and tools etc etc plus all my models - they're not allowed in the house  :'(
One day I might summon up the courage to show pictures of my  workshop which is at the other extreme.
Andy
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:52:48 AM by Chipmaster »

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 07:47:46 PM »
Lovely workshop Dave,        I love the light. Mine has no windows  :'(    what a cracking set of machines.........Enjoy.                     Terry

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 10:18:15 PM »
Nice shop!
And yes...windows too!
Oh how I'd love to have some.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 11:35:59 PM »
Very nice cozy shop and some beautiful equipment.

Thanks for sharing,
Dave

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 10:13:47 AM »
Good grief, how do you keep everything so clean? You've got a nice selection of mahines there. Mind you I can see the floor so it can't be that crowded, I reckon you could fit at least another three machine tools in there.  :ThumbsUp:

Andrew

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 01:27:29 PM »
Thanks once again for the interest and friendly comments, guys.
 If you took a peek in there right at this moment, you'd not be so struck on it.   It has been a bit damp and chilly here for a while, and during the winter I chuck plastic sheets and blankets over the bigger lumps and mostly keep the place shut up so that if a load of warm and wet air arrives on a weather front, it doesn't suddenly dump condensation over the machines while they are cold.
 I do stick a dehumidifier in there if conditions are poor, but generally I don't keep heat going. I built some insulation in under the wall boarding, 2" polystyrene sheet, but it would be a bit too costly for me to keep the temperature constantly up to comfortable.  I've got a lot of layers of old clothing to put on me -  but on the whole I go and do something else when it gets pretty cold!
 Marv - the chips really are the ones that come off the lathe tools and milling cutters!, if you look in the waste bin they are in there...  French fries - can't remember the last time I had any actually, I'm not a big fry-up fan!

Cheers, Dave

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2016, 01:32:09 PM »
I like the looks of the mill next to the Myford. It looks a good size for what we do but robust enough to do some fine work. Not only do we tend to use more square footage here in the U.S. but we tend to think in terms of machines like Bridgeports.

Thanks for posting.

ShopShoe

Online sco

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 02:00:35 PM »
I like the looks of the mill next to the Myford. It looks a good size for what we do but robust enough to do some fine work. Not only do we tend to use more square footage here in the U.S. but we tend to think in terms of machines like Bridgeports.

Thanks for posting.

ShopShoe

The Tom Senior kit is really nice - made with care and attention to detail - one day maybe I'll have one....

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 06:39:01 PM »
Nice, very nice. I do confess for having an addiction to the "old school way" of things. Job proper that is!

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 07:58:08 PM »
Nice shop!
And yes...windows too!
Oh how I'd love to have some.
      And now I have! .........posted a couple of days ago on "garden workshop"        Terry

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 08:02:56 PM »
What a superb workshop! I love how clean and tidy it is, you obviously take great care of your machines! Very impressive.  :ThumbsUp:
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 11:06:08 PM »
A man after my own heart.........With a workshop full of good quality British machine tools.

What do you make with them ?

Phil

Offline jeff l

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 03:24:21 AM »
very nice

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2016, 08:26:47 AM »
Hi Guys, thanks for the new comments.   I saw your window pictures, Terry, just wondered if you had taken the plunge after seeing mine! Does make a lot of difference.
Phil, pgp,  have a look at my posts in the Engines section for pictures of what I have made in this and my previous workshop.  I'm doing bits and pieces for a near complete Stuart Turner steam hammer just now, made the little brass oil box yesterday.   When I have a bit of time, in a while,  I'll do a little piece about the steam hammer build.  Also want to continue the beam engine write up before too long...

Cheers, Dave

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2016, 11:34:36 AM »
Nice Shop!     I like that Senior mill..

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2016, 03:09:33 PM »
Nice shop and filled with beautiful machinery :Love:.  Thanks for sharing it

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline JR72

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2016, 07:34:20 AM »
Hi David
Great photos, having visited you on several occasions I know your workshop is always as neat and tidy as the pics show, I was wondering if the next time you are at mine you could show me how to make my workshop as tidy. Always a great pleasure in seeing your photos and the parts you make and our little chats.
Best wishes
John.
p.s Thanks for introducing me to this forum it`s great

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2016, 07:49:34 AM »
Hi John, thanks for the compliment!  Nothing at all wrong with your own attractive and busy workshop, as members will see when your photos go up later on.  ( They won't get the coffee though...!)
Cheers, Dave

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2016, 05:13:53 PM »
Dave,  Apologies for the belated responce,  but yes I was influenced by your pictures (and Capt. Jerrys)     As you say, it DOES make a difference.          Regards        Terry

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2016, 10:38:11 PM »
Thanks Terry.  Glad you are enjoying all that lovely light coming in!  I had 16 years in my previous w/shop with daylight only coming through a door ( but while I was working, I was mostly in there of an evening ).  I was determined to see a bit of sunshine when I set up this existing shop.  One of my brothers was / is, a builder, and he made the windows for me in the previously blank wall.     Dave

Offline mechman48

• Retired maint.Eng.
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2016, 03:18:47 PM »
Nice man cave Chips; & tidy too, mine is a converted single garage that I've insulated & boarded out, with recycled desks & shelving for my work space, will pop a pic on site when I next get chance.

George.
George.

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2016, 02:07:44 AM »
Hello Dave, nice workshop you have there. :)

I have a single car sized shed down the back, which I thought would be too small to house anything, but your workshop shows my concern is unfounded.
(This signature intentionally left blank)

Offline mechman48

• Retired maint.Eng.
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2016, 10:42:16 AM »
As promised... my man cave... :happyreader: All securely alarmed by the way as some low life turd got in back in 2014, fortunately we managed to disturb him before too much was 'relocated'  :Mad:

George.

George.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2016, 12:09:32 PM »
Looks nice George,  do those floor mats cope with swarf ok?                    Terry

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2016, 01:58:04 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for your comments re. my workshop.  That's a very nice workshop space that you have created, George, very well ordered and equipped, and inviting to spend your leisure time in.
  Brendon, glad that my photos have been encouraging for your own plans for a modest sized shop.   I'd be pleased to have additional room, as most of us would be, but there is a great deal that can be done with the average garage sized space. Certainly it's room enough to make the sort of relatively small engine projects that this forum mostly showcases an excellent proposition. They don't need massive equipment or big working room like a large traction engine or hefty loco might do.
Cheers, Dave

Offline mechman48

• Retired maint.Eng.
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2016, 12:01:55 AM »
Looks nice George,  do those floor mats cope with swarf ok?                    Terry

Surprisingly well considering; that was my first concern when I bought them, but as I have never produced 'blue chips' I can't vouch for heat resistance, mind you I have had a few 'hot' pieces go down the front of my shirt off the mill,  :embarassed:   I brush / hoover up every couple of sessions & swarf sweeps / hoovers up easily enough, apart from some small bits that have been 'trodden in', they have been laid for about 3 yrs now so I can't complain really.

George.
George.

Offline Ridjobradi

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2016, 03:59:11 PM »
Chris,  That is a fantastic looking shop.  It would be nice if we could get some of those machines here.  We can find them occasionally, but the prices get rather extreme.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2016, 04:38:25 PM »
NICE!!!!!!

.....too neat though.....  8-)
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal