Author Topic: Help with Corliss Engine  (Read 7950 times)

Offline bytewise

• Dutchess Co. NY USA
Re: Help with Corliss Engine
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2016, 12:51:21 PM »
I have not seen any ref to Corliss type engines on ships. Marine engines used simple slide valves. I have not seen any use of early cut off control. They used double or triple expansion to increase efficiency.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 01:29:54 PM by bytewise »

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2016, 01:56:42 AM »
I have not seen any ref to Corliss type engines on ships. Marine engines used simple slide valves. I have not seen any use of early cut off control. They used double or triple expansion to increase efficiency.

Propulsion Marine Engines used a variety of valve mechanisms, (Poppet, Cam, Joy, eccentric etc), and most controlled cut off , (normally in the ahead direction only, with full admission astern). The predominant valve system being Stephensons link with two eccentrics and a combination of piston and slide/Cameron valves. Non of my Marine Engineering manuals have any reference to Corliss engines.

Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2016, 11:37:28 PM »
Hi Steve found these drawings from a book dated 1897. Hope they are of interest
Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2016, 11:54:34 PM »
Willy, great drawings! What is the name of the book?

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2016, 12:47:07 AM »
Willy, great drawings! What is the name of the book?

This is the book and it is full of really good drawings of all manner of engines and machinery from the 1880's including one of the crank bearing with the more secure cap............

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2016, 06:00:36 AM »
Hi Willy, I have found the book in a UK online second hand book Shop for  7 or 8 GBP. It is a pleasure to see the drawings. Thanks for the tip.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2016, 12:55:03 AM »

Propulsion Marine Engines used a variety of valve mechanisms, (Poppet, Cam, Joy, eccentric etc), and most controlled cut off , (normally in the ahead direction only, with full admission astern). The predominant valve system being Stephensons link with two eccentrics and a combination of piston and slide/Cameron valves. Non of my Marine Engineering manuals have any reference to Corliss engines.

Regards
Bob
[/quote]
Hi Bob , i have found this reference from the Engineer   1868/07/03................you can find it on Graces Guide.........
regards
willy

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2016, 01:55:19 AM »
Thanks Willy,

The indicator diagram is interesting especially as the biggest problems appear to be at the exhaust on one stroke........................probably the opposite of what I would have expected.  :shrug:

Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal