Author Topic: Help with Corliss Engine  (Read 7954 times)

Offline sssfox

• Rest In Peace
Re: Help with Corliss Engine
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 05:03:19 PM »
Willy,
I sent you an email.

Online steam guy willy

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 06:12:36 PM »
Here is a short Utube video of Forncet <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkMztPRO2NE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkMztPRO2NE</a> Hope this useful, thanks for email........willy

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2016, 09:27:47 PM »
Thanks for the video Willy! Looks like a great museum, wish I was closer!

Offline sssfox

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2016, 01:05:01 AM »
I like that red Corliss.  It has yet another type of release mechanism that I can't figure out how it works.

Thanks, Willy.

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 12:52:15 AM »
Below is a list of books which I found invaluable when drawing up the MEM Corliss.

Handbook of Corliss Steam Engines - F.W. Shillito Jr
Handbook on the Steam Engine - Haeder & Powles
The Layout of Corliss Valve Gears - Sanford A. Moss
New Catechism of the Steam Engine - N. Hawkins
The Relative Proportions of the Steam Engine - William D. Marks

These are available for download as pdfs from Google Books and/or Archive.org.

HTH

Regards
Bob

PS - If you cannot access them let me know and I will do a big file transfer to your email.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 01:03:17 AM by Maryak »
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline sssfox

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 01:26:49 AM »
Thanks Bob,

I had the first one from a search I did for everything I could find with Corliss in the title.  I think it's about 15 books.  I probably have the one on Layout of the Corliss Valve Gears, but couldn't find it right now.   I downloaded the rest of your list.  Looks like a have a lot more reading to do.

Thanks,
Steve Fox

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 01:45:19 AM »
Thanks much Bob! Going to look them up....

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 05:38:35 PM »
Bob - found the books, looks like some great info there, starting to read...   :happyreader:
Thanks!!!

Steve - the Layout one is up on the Google Books search, go to Google, click on the Books tab, and search there.

Offline sssfox

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 06:22:34 PM »
crueby, thanks for your help, but I meant I couldn't find it on my computer.  I found it on Google Books.  Matter of fact, I'm reading it right now.

I have approximately 20 terabytes of books across 12 drives, so it's not unusual that I lose one occasionally.  Sometimes, the name a book is saved under isn't the official title of the book.  I try to fix that when I save it, but sometimes I forget.

Steve Fox

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 08:14:49 PM »

I have approximately 20 terabytes of books across 12 drives, so it's not unusual that I lose one occasionally.  Sometimes, the name a book is saved under isn't the official title of the book.  I try to fix that when I save it, but sometimes I forget.

Steve Fox

I thought I was up there with 1.5TB of videos but now I can see I'm a rank amateur in the storage arena ;D

Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline sssfox

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2016, 02:00:03 AM »
I'm going through the books that Bob told me about.  I'm currently on the New Catechism of the Steam Engine.  I found these entries:

On page 206:
This engine is built by the Frick Company, Waynesboro, Franklin Co., in works established 1853 and incorporated 1885.  They make the Corliss Engine in Horizontal or vertical form, condensing or non-condensing, single or in pairs.  "compound" engines, Tandem, cross, triple or quadruple.

On page 207:
Figure 152 represents a "right hand" rear view of a non-condensing Corliss engine, arranged for another engine to be added if desired.  It will be noticed that the end of the shaft projects beyond the pillow-block already provided with a key.  The shaft is made strong enough and the band wheel of sufficient size to take care of double the power of one engine.

Do these entries sound like both of these companies built two cylinder, non-condensing, non-compound engines?  I'm not 100% sure of the terminology, but it sounds to me like they did, once upon a time.  Now, whether anyone ordered one is a different matter, I guess.

Steve Fox

Online steam guy willy

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 01:52:51 PM »
There is a Utube video showing a cordless engine running called   Historic Waterworks Museum Goulburn NSW Australia      Hope this is of interest
Willbert

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2016, 01:59:17 PM »
Interesting detail on that engine, I like the looks of the engine block, how it curves in around the cylinder till it gets to the valves rather than being one vertical wall.

Offline bytewise

• Dutchess Co. NY USA
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2016, 12:02:36 AM »
Mill and pumping stations only had to run in one direction and usually ran a long time before being shut down. The only reason for multiple cylinders was for compounding.
Marine engines on the other hand had to run equally well in either direction. They also had to start and stop frequently during maneuvering. Therefor they usually had two or more cylinders for easy starting.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2016, 12:43:58 AM »
Were corliss style engines common on ships?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal