Author Topic: Proxxon KG50 cutoff for shortning screws  (Read 3347 times)

Offline geoff5269

Proxxon KG50 cutoff for shortning screws
« on: March 08, 2016, 04:35:36 PM »
I bought this small cut off machine recently to use on delicate items such as when you want to trim a piston rod or valve rod to length without damage, and then thought it might be good for trimming small screws to length, so I made an adaptor to hold them and them made a backstop so as to get a repeatable size, I wanted an easy way to set the stop so I use a drill as a gauge to set the backstop. For cutting other materials it is just ok as long as you don't rush it. Have a look at my video.<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4iV0cWi580" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4iV0cWi580</a>
Geoff

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Re: Proxxon KG50 cutoff for shortning screws
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 04:50:07 PM »
I've been looking at that saw for quite a while. Your screw shortening fixture is excellent! That may have pushed me over the edge.
Best,
Stan

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 05:13:24 PM »
Stan I don't know about the Proxxon but the one from Micro mark looks like it. It's good for cutting wood and plastic but steel it takes forever to cut. This is Micro Marks http://www.micromark.com/microlux-mini-miter-and-cut-off-saw,9639.html

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 05:14:13 PM »
That is a nice little rig Geoff and should work well with small screws. My only issue with the Proxxon tools is that they seem underpowered. That won't be an issue for this application or things like brass tubing but I am thinking it would strain to cut through solid stock more than 3/16" OD.

Bill

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 05:45:51 PM »
I have a similar saw from Harbor Freight.  It's primary use is cutting wood for some of my wife's projects.  I've never tried cutting screws with it since I have other jigs for that purpose.

Nevertheless, I made one improvement to it that's worth passing along.  Maybe it will trigger a stroke of genius in one of you clever monkeys.  In order to measure depth of cut I glued a thin strip of wood to the fixed jaw of the vise and then cut it off with the saw.  This means the end of the strip exactly defines where the saw will cut.  If the workpiece has a cutoff mark it's easy to visually align it with the end of the strip.  For multiple cutoffs of a desired length I simply set a depth gauge to the correct length, butt the gauge rod against the strip and push the workpiece against the depth gauge base.  This forces the right amount of stock to stick out beyond the end of the strip and be cut off.

I'm afraid I would find Geoff's screw-holder rather tedious if I had to do more than a few screws. Having to thread the entire screw into the holder each time would exceed my already very slim patience.  Also how is the screw secured if you only want to take a short bit off the end of a longish screw?

For making longish screws into short ones I would make a tiny V-block that traps the screw against the vise fixed-jaw with its head sticking out to the right.  A locator pin/stop/ledge/whatever would ensure that it always sat in the same place in the vise and another yet-to-be-designed stop would control the screw projection.

For cutting small bits off longish screws, a similar system to two V-blocks holding the screw with its head inside the vise jaws might work.

I'm sure those design ideas are far from optimal but they may make you think about ways to eliminate the task of screwing each screw into a holder.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 05:54:07 PM »
Don
The Micro-mark is not as hefty as the Proxxon, albeit less than 1/3 the price. The Proxxon is a very nicely made, German-designed (and, I believe German-built.)
A friend has one and, with a cut-off wheel, has no problem with CRS or tool steel. Not fast, but reasonable cutting speed.
Best,
Stan

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 06:01:45 PM »
 Are you using the standard blade or the abrasive wheel?
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Online sco

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 06:05:11 PM »
The Proxxon also has a bigger brother that I've wondered about buying in the past;

http://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/27160.php?search

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 10:35:40 PM »
Thanks geoff.

I think it's an interesting tool and usable in lots of areas.
If anything, it gets one thinking about the many ways there might be for trimming/shortening screws.
I can use something like that.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal