Author Topic: Motor rotation?  (Read 8173 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Motor rotation?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 05:00:09 PM »
Graham if blue is common then the start and run winding is common to this. The only way to be able to do this with three wires is to have the start winding common to the run wiring internal at mid point of the run winding or (both windings would have to be the same and by just moving the power line on either side of the start capacitor would reverse it). I have seen the later but only on small motors.

Don

Offline PJW

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 05:14:54 PM »
I was confused when I asked for help, I am still confused, but I will keep reading & I might catch up with you all soon :slap:
Old Guys Rule the Dark Side of the Shed!

Online sco

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 05:30:16 PM »
Peter,

Sketch out a rough circuit diagram of what you have in front of you and then post that - I'm sure that will make it easier for people to help you.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2016, 05:34:24 PM »
Hello All.

It's even simpler !!

I was close, but no Cigar !!

http://www.ourautomation.com/blog/reversing-single-phase-capacitor-start-motor-by-remote-controller/

However I must dig out my recipe for humble pie !!   :)

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2016, 05:41:20 PM »
Here is the Split phase motor reversing setup.

Don

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 06:04:47 PM »
Hello All.

It's even simpler !!

I was close, but no Cigar !!

http://www.ourautomation.com/blog/reversing-single-phase-capacitor-start-motor-by-remote-controller/

However I must dig out my recipe for humble pie !!   :)

Kind regards, Graham.

Graham
Hope you know what the humbles are :facepalm:

You need as been said both ends of both windings  , then you reverse either one with respect to the other

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 06:18:33 PM »
Hello Stuart.

Indeed I do, however.....

Did you check the link?

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2016, 06:38:12 PM »
Graham if blue is common then the start and run winding is common to this. The only way to be able to do this with three wires is to have the start winding common to the run wiring internal at mid point of the run winding or (both windings would have to be the same and by just moving the power line on either side of the start capacitor would reverse it). I have seen the later but only on small motors.

Don
Graham Your drawings shows a main winding and secondary winding. On this type motor there is no main winding only winding A and B.
P.S. This is a Split phase motor not a Single Phase motor.

Don
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 06:41:53 PM by Don1966 »

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2016, 06:56:19 PM »
Hello Don.

I just copied and combined / pasted the drawings from the link here. http://www.ourautomation.com/blog/reversing-single-phase-capacitor-start-motor-by-remote-controller/

This is a small motor as Peter has already stated. Two out of three colours match, Blue ( N ) common Red.  And Yellow instead of white.

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline PJW

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2016, 07:04:36 PM »
from the diagram it looks to me like you just have to reverse the wires to the capacitor, am I right?
Old Guys Rule the Dark Side of the Shed!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2016, 07:20:36 PM »
from the diagram it looks to me like you just have to reverse the wires to the capacitor, am I right?
Yes if it is a Split phase motor. But make sure you amp check it when running just in case. If you don't have an amp meter be careful not to let it run long until you know it will not run hot. Precaution to keep from burning it should this be a different setup.

Don

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2016, 07:29:38 PM »
Save a bit of pie for me ...  :facepalm2: should have been a 3P2W switch. Will find one ..

Anyway, now fed & watered .. well Grolsh-ed ..  :DrinkPint:

I have found the circuit I did for a 3/4 HP, Single Phase, Cap. run motor I did some time ago. I've tried to make it a bit like Peter wants to do. The stuff to the left of the red line is supposition of what's in the 'relay' thing.

Would some kind soul please run an eye over it. The original did work but I've done some bits to make it resemble the original post.

Off to find switch ... back in a mo.

http://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/mcr13-432d1-01/switch-toggle-3pdt-on-off-on-sq/dp/2128058
Dave
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 08:01:39 PM by Bluechip »

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2016, 07:42:50 PM »
Don, thanks for finding those links.  The wiring code is fairly standard for these types of motor.  Three wires, red, blue and white or yellow.  I pick up many small motors, upto 3/4 Hp that use the same wiring code.  A simple three terminal center off switch will do the trick of reversing them.  Bearing in mind the caveats that I mentioned in my first post about wire size. 

Dave, the Myford 3/4 Hp motor has a centrifugal switch and does require the ends of the start winding swapping over to reverse it.  The centrifugal switch completely disconnecting the start winding.  Indeed if you completely disconnect the start winding, a simple flick of the motor pulley in the direction you want it to run will start it up and it will run as normal.

I'm just about to use a tumble dryer motor to drive a tool grinder that is capacitor start and run.  It also has the same wiring colours.

Best Regards:  Baron.

I don’t regret the things I’ve done, I regret the things I didn’t do when I had the chance.

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2016, 08:11:49 PM »

Dave, the Myford 3/4 Hp motor has a centrifugal switch and does require the ends of the start winding swapping over to reverse it.  The centrifugal switch completely disconnecting the start winding.  Indeed if you completely disconnect the start winding, a simple flick of the motor pulley in the direction you want it to run will start it up and it will run as normal.

Not if it's 3Phase ...  ;D   Well, sort of. My S7's got a Transwave Box on it. NOT one of those posh VFD's though  :'(

Know the symptoms though, my ML7/T of blessed memory ingested swarf into it's motor and I did the 'bump start' trick for some months until I got a new one.

Dave

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2016, 08:15:57 PM »
Now, now Dave,  throwing 3 phase in there, that's cheating.  :whoohoo:

Seriously though mine is still single phase, though I've had a 1.5Hp three phase motor in the garage, like forever...

Best Regards:  Baron.

I don’t regret the things I’ve done, I regret the things I didn’t do when I had the chance.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal