Author Topic: 1867 Otto and Langen Free Piston Engine  (Read 42899 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: 1867 Otto and Langen Free Piston Engine
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2016, 02:15:19 AM »
Hi everyone,

The new Y axis power feed has been installed and is working great. The column/cylinder has been picked up from the automotive machine shop and some fixturing made.

Here is the cylinder sitting on my mill table; check out the finish in the bore! The taper has been removed and a very nice finish for the ringless piston to run in; has been created by a guy with many years experience running a hone. The reflection is from my 5C collet fixture sitting behind the cylinder.

Using his shop made tool Max made sure the mill was properly tramed.

And then the rotary table hoisted onto the mill table.

Here is the indexing setup; a small 3 jaw chuck mounted onto the rotary table which grips the counter bore in the end of the cylinder. A spud was turned for a nice fit in the top end of the cylinder with a center for the tail stock. A piece of all thread screwed into the spud and passed through the cylinder and the rotary table holds it all tight. An Idea pinched from Phil_L; thanks Phil

The first (easy) octagon is machined for a reality check; all seems good!

The next octagon is machined where eventually the raised panels will be added. Starting out with a 1” end mill and then finishing up with a fly cutter for a nice surface finish.

Jim you had asked about Max’s machinery; he has an import 12”x36” Tida lathe and a Birmingham clone mill which is also an import. Then the various assorted other tools; band saw, grinders, sanders, etc.

More to follow.

Thanks for checking in,
Dave and Max

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2016, 03:34:28 AM »
 :o :o Wow, that bore is slicker than a ....... hey, that mill is sure clean!  :embarassed:

Super nice and gettin' better!  :cartwheel:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2016, 03:47:39 AM »
Thanks for the machinery info Dave.

Max the column/cylinder looks great!

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2016, 07:18:47 PM »
WOWx10, you two are just something.  It does appear the old boy can run a Sunnen hone. The best I remember,  that's one machine,  that in a fair amount of time,  produces an excellent part or can ruin one in half that amount of time.  I knew the y feed wouldn't be a problem for you two,  and he's gonna love it.  Thanks for the shot of the "wild game hoist ". I have one that has never been used and now I think I have a great place to use it  8). Dave,  I hope to get the drawbar in situ this weekend and I'll report.  Max, keep an eye on Dave and y'all keep it up.

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2016, 08:01:01 PM »
Incredible work! Great thread - watching with jaw on floor...   :popcorn:

You know you are having fun when you need a crane to lift your tools.... That rotary table weighs more than my mill.  :o

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2016, 08:38:58 PM »
Well while your at it just as well make the column for mine. While it is still fresh in your mind..... :lolb:
That's is looking great Max and I can see the bar is going to get raised a notch high on this forum with you guys.
Yup! Got one of those hoist to, got mine from Harbor Freight. Good for lifting around the shop. I had to increase the size of the start capacitor on mine because it couldn't start to pick up on some heavier loads. Works a treat now.
Keep the photos coming guy and by the way great photos....  ;D

8)
Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2016, 09:06:13 PM »
Awesome!

Remind me what the size of this thing is.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2016, 12:22:09 AM »
Thanks for all the nice comments guys, and the support; it is much appreciated.

Zee the column is right around 9 3/8" tall or 238.125mm for Jo.  :lolb: Yea I know her's going to be bigger but what can I say?  :shrug:

Interesting that you guys recognize the hoist; you must all shop at that same store with the funny smell; what did Marv call it?

Max quit procrastinating and decided to tackle the the raised panels today; I have proof! I will try to get the pictures posted this evening or tomorrow after work.

Thanks for checking in,
Dave

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2016, 11:37:17 PM »
Hi Guys

As promised here are some update shots of the O&L cylinder.

All the raised panels have been machined; Max said that it wasn’t as much of a pain that he thought it would be.

An operation to finish out the day; was to machine the clearance for the slide valve rod in the top flange of the cylinder.

Today was spent cutting the octagons and details just above the raised panels. Max says that he is getting tired of cutting octagons and there still is more to go! The slide valve rod clearance was also machined in the area.

The next operation will most likely be, to machine the seat for the fixed valve plate. Then onto the fluting and then finish up the octagons on the lower end. The mill head will need to be rotated and he wants to finish as much work as possible before doing this.

Thanks for checking in,
Dave & Max

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2016, 11:48:49 PM »
The work is awesome, the pictures are fantastic, but, there was a little swarf in that next to last picture  :facepalm:  Beautiful fellows

Cletus

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2016, 12:18:18 AM »
The work is awesome, the pictures are fantastic, but, there was a little swarf in that next to last picture  :facepalm:  Beautiful fellows

Cletus
Oh no! We can't have swarf in the photos my god what were you thinking...... :lolb: :lolb:
Max what an awesome display of work and like dog said pictures are fantastic....... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2016, 12:51:16 AM »
Don't know what to say other than truly exceptional work!!!

Bill

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2016, 06:55:18 AM »
 Hi Dave, Max, I am watching and get shown a fantastic job.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2016, 12:21:27 AM »
Hi Guys

Eric, Don, Bill & Achim, thanks again for the nice comments and the great support; Max said that he will try to do a better job cleaning up between cuts.  :lolb:
Work has been continuing on the cylinder and good progress is being made.

The next task was to machine the cavity where the slide valve body will be mounted; this took several cups of coffee and lengthy discussion at Saturday breakfast for Max to be able to wrap his head around what was needed here. The Lenaz prints aren’t always easy to understand; but as usual this part of the cylinder turned out great.

With all the work being completed with the head tramed; it was time to tilt it over and cut the angles.

After the angles were finished the head was tramed back in and the rotary table and its tailstock were shimmed to allow the flutes in the tapered column to be machined. Max said the print called for .04” deep but he stopped at .03” because the lands between them were starting to look pretty narrow.

I’m not sure what’s for dinner but here is a shot of the completed cylinder/column. I’m thinking that the slide valve body may be next we will have to wait and see.

Thanks for checking in and the continued support; I think Max is breathing a huge sigh of relief about now, having all this behind him.

Dave & Max

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 12:45:03 AM by Dave Otto »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2016, 12:40:07 AM »
This is just some jaw dropping setups and work guys.  :o  That columkn is total awesome........I ............like.......... :Love:

:popcorn:
don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal