Author Topic: 1867 Otto and Langen Free Piston Engine  (Read 43045 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: 1867 Otto and Langen Free Piston Engine
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2016, 07:49:54 PM »
Always nice to see a new update on this one...beautiful, inspirational, artistic...can't say enough!!!  That is a shame about the GEARS show. I hope maybe a venue can be found to keep the show going more permanently.

Bill

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2016, 08:52:38 PM »
Many old pieces of machinery can be considered art forms and this is certainly one of them  :praise2:  :praise2:
Best regards

Roger

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2016, 01:49:21 AM »
Many old pieces of machinery can be considered art forms and this is certainly one of them  :praise2:  :praise2:

:ThumbsUp: Indeed.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2016, 07:05:19 AM »
Always a great pleasure to see a new posting in this thread with new pictures of this masterpiece. Dave, Max thanks for showing it.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline jwcnc1911

« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2016, 02:16:45 AM »
Hey all, haven't been in in a while.  I've had a little time in my shop myself so I wanted to check in here.

Not disappointed at all!  This build is fantastic!
----------
JW

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2016, 02:25:26 AM »
That is true art in metal Dave and Max.............I...........like......... :Love:

:popcorn:
Don

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2016, 02:34:04 AM »
Thanks for all the very nice comments guys; we appreciate your support and that you are taking the time to follow along with the Otto & Langen project.

I got busy and neglected to acknowledge all your nice comments; we do appreciate them.

Max is continuing to make great progress on the engine; or is he?

Here is the shop helper; she is most likely responsible for all the nice work that we have been seeing.
He just keeps her around because she works for peanuts. :lolb:

Here is a shot of the exhaust reed valve that was being drilled a few pictures back; it lives under the domed cover that contains the exhaust hand cock which meters the engine speed.

Work has started on the entablature and here it has been milled to size, the holes drilled and now the final details are being added.

The entablature is pretty much done and sitting on the column.

Now it is time to start working on all the parts that mount to the entablature

To keep from having to machine the long slender guide rods they will be machined in two parts; the decorative base section which will be drilled and reamed to accept the guide section that will slip into the base. The rods can be made from drill rod or some other nice TG&P stock; they will only need the top turned and threaded. A good friend built one of these engines a number of years back and that is how he made his. It makes it nice because you can easily remove the upper guide section for transport or storage.

The lower section of the guides have been completed and now hold the entablature in place on top of the column. A word of caution on the Lenaz prints; the prints say to drill and tap the top of the column 10-32 but the threaded portion on the guide is ¼-28. The clearance holes in the entablature are also called out as ¼".

Thanks for checking in,
Dave & Max

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2016, 02:26:40 PM »
Another fine update guys. I love the shop helper too, as long as she knows the difference between peanuts and small parts :) Beautiful work as always.

Bill

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2016, 07:58:19 PM »
Nice update and just beautiful work. Next year at NAMES?
Best,
Stan

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2016, 08:49:36 PM »
Lovely work guys and your setting the scale high for us on this one........ :praise2:

Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2016, 11:13:23 PM »
Hm. Shop helper likes your nuts too.

I enjoy seeing squirrels and rabbits. But T is a gardener and sees them as garden pests taking food from our mouths.
She won't kill though. Not any wildlife (bees, toads, voles, mice, etc.). She just sees it as a challenge to work with or around.

Her view on life could change if she ever met some of you.  :lolb:

Sorry about the banter Dave. Although we work with metal...it's good to see the soft stuff.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2016, 12:21:24 AM »
Hi everyone,

Well I did it again; I got busy and neglected to acknowledge all your nice comments; we do appreciate them.

Bill, Stan, Don, & Zee thanks of checking in guys.

Max is continuing to make good steady progress on his engine; the guide rods were made form drill rod and added to the assembly. I was mistaken when I said that they were going to be a slip fit on the lower portion. Max threaded the parts and they screw together.

The beginning stages of the upper tie bar.

The bar is profiled and the center bead has been turned.

After the lathe work was finished the ends are rounded and the nuts machined and added to the assembly.

Here are the bearing support blocks; no in process pictures but they are pretty straight forwards parts to make.

After the lower supports were completed the brass bearings were then machined. Max decided not to split the bearings as there was not much to be gained except a bunch of extra work.

They do look pretty nice sitting in their respective positions. Interesting thing to note is the two shafts are not on the same plane one is about .06” different from the other. Not sure why Mr. Lenaz designed it this way; maybe we will understand as more of the parts are machined and added

I don’t have a picture but I’m pretty sure the studs and nuts for the bearing assemblies have been completed.

The eccentrics which are pressed onto a common bushing and also pined together have also been completed. I’m not sure what Max is working on right at the moment; I will probably find out at breakfast Saturday morning.

Thanks again for checking in and following along.

Dave & Max

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2016, 12:33:23 AM »
Good to see more progress Dave & Max. The new parts are as beautiful as those that have come before!! Just a masterpiece!!

Bill

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2016, 12:57:21 AM »
Great work!!!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
I'm always happy to see an update on the project. Very inspiring work!  :popcorn:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2016, 12:59:40 AM »
Just down right great machining guys and ......I.........like........... :Love:

:cheers: Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal