Author Topic: 1925 Steam Powered Machine Shop  (Read 4270 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
1925 Steam Powered Machine Shop
« on: February 28, 2016, 11:46:06 PM »
I found this YouTube video series this morning and thought everyone here would probably enjoy it as much as I am.  I believe it is in New York state,  USA. I really recommend watching #3 1/2, he gives an excellent presentation on his engine.  Y'all enjoy.

Cletus
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WXHNBMLZZM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WXHNBMLZZM</a>

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: 1925 Steam Powered Machine Shop
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 12:40:36 AM »
Neat shop setup, thanks for the video.  He is in Newark Valley NY, middle of the state a bit above Pennsylvania.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 01:09:36 AM »
That raised a couple of thoughts...

1) Seeing all the valves reminds me of the WWI and WWII subs. Can you imagine the skill it took for those poor fellows to know what every valve was for and how/when to use it?
2) There's been a lot of talk in the past about how this hobby or skill is dying and how to get younger people more involved. Yet it's interesting how many of us seem to have caught the bug when young and only when we're older can try to fulfill our dreams. I suspect many of our children and kids we come across are bitten and don't know it yet. (I am so glad for today's technology where I can converse across the world and learn...and make friends.)
3) The rise of maker shops. Like what Phil has done. However much technology evolves...you still need the people to create the tools so others can use them.

Too many stinking hoppies?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 02:47:28 AM »
Carl,
I think you're right on track with your thinking. I've harbored my ME passions most of my life but only when I retired did I have
the time to pursue them. Now I wonder if I'll have enough time...

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 03:06:46 AM »
Carl I agree with you. Explains your 1hr shop time I guess. When we're young we have the interest but not the cash to indulge our passion and once we start having spare cash its when we're getting close to retirement. I have young blokes saying they would love my shop but  rent/wife and family/social life gets in the way but when they retire etc. etc. I guess it will continue as a hobby for a long time yet but only as they get older. We should encourage them so they keep the flame alive.
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 01:22:37 PM »
These are very well done Cletus!  I have watched 3 in the series so far and will watch the others as time permits. Thanks so much for sharing them.

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 12:18:33 AM »
Bill,  I'm hooked.  I think I've worked in 8 of the 9 that I know he's posted.  I love the way he indicates a four jaw chuck.  I had said sometime right after I began this hobby  and before I came down with "Amex Points  Tooling  Syndrome " ,  we were taking to an extreme in modeling what used to be very,  shall we say,  crudely precision . Yet again,  if you scale the tolerances  :thinking:. Well,  you know what I'm saying,  or do you.  Geez,  I'm sounding like Zee  :Doh: :Doh: :lolb:.  His explanations on his engine are  a good primer for any of us newbies to steam.  And, thanks to his explanation on timing and lead , may just explain why Stan's and my 1/4 hp engines are such air hogs  (Vern, we'll confer ) .  I think #9 in his video series has a beautiful working big Snow engine shown running near the end of the it. 

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 12:35:54 AM »
Haven't gotten that far yet, I have to at least pretend to be working sometimes   :lolb:

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 01:35:46 AM »
Well,  you know what I'm saying,  or do you.  Geez,  I'm sounding like Zee  :Doh: :Doh: :lolb:.

:cussing:

Hey c'mon. I made at least two decisions today.
I got up. And I'll be going to bed.  ;D
That first decision is a tough one.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 02:38:50 AM »
Just caught the video Eric and that's awesome. Looks like a third generation machine shop. This guy knows all the ins and outs of his shop and 1800 century technology. I'll be watching more of this guy........ :ThumbsUp:

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal