Author Topic: Rider-Ericsson  (Read 3846 times)

fcheslop

Rider-Ericsson
« on: February 27, 2016, 11:27:21 PM »
I have some pre machined :'( castings and the base casting is like a Swiss cheese just wondering how hot does this part become during running as I need to fill it on the underside and its also going to come out a wee bit thinner than it should
Many thanks
frazer

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Rider-Ericsson
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 11:44:08 PM »
Frazer, The base in the area of the firebox can get pretty hot and that heat will migrate out some but if I had to guess, I would say somewhere in the 150-170 degree F range. JB Weld is supposed to be good for well above that. What I can say is that I haven't lost any paint yet on the underside of the base casting and I used rattle can auto enamel. Are your casting aluminum?

Bill

fcheslop

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 12:04:20 AM »
Hi Bill, the castings are an early set for the 2inch scale model that have had a few previous owners and came from a swap deal from Mr Drilling (David)
They have been part machined  :'( some of it is near ish some of it just terrible and Im going to have to redesign a few bits along the way and come up with a few cunning plans yet to be formulated :Jester: one of them is to re machine the main bearing for ball bearings as the holes are already to large for the needle rollers and the bushes had been fitted with a ten pound lump hammer. The beam is a right off and will have to be machined from solid are there webs on it as this one is plain.
The base casting has loads of small gassing holes on the underside and Im just not sure if it may just be better to leave them or fill them
Iv brought the top face into a usable state but the underside is bowed about 1/32?? yet its milled the same applies to the main bearing mount as the pads are milled but again bowed ?? just dont understand how as the cutter marks go right across the face strange
I am planning on painting using rattle cans or an air brush so thanks its very helpful.
Please note David had nothing to do with any machining and Im still happy with the deal as in this neck of the woods the casting for me are expensive and I simply would not be in a position to build it otherwise
Yes the castings are alloy
thanks
frazer

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 12:29:17 AM »
Frazer, I doubt the gassing voids (unless they are quite large) would be that visible on the underside of the base so filling may not even be necessary. The bowing would be of more concern though. You might consider machining a whole new base plate from plate stock if that is an option. The only thing you would likely be missing is the cast in lettering on the top side of the base but that is only cosmetic anyway. Its a great engine and I am glad you will have the opportunity to build one, even if remaking a few parts is required. Hope you will do a long on it when the time comes.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 12:50:18 AM »
I would apologize for this...but then again...

:pics:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 12:54:33 AM »
Hmmmmmm....the pot calling the kettle black  :lolb:

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 12:56:09 AM »
Hmmmmmm....the pot calling the kettle black  :lolb:

Darn you Bill.

You know...this means war.  :lolb:
"To work. To work."

fcheslop

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 10:13:10 AM »
HMMMM pic, Il show you if you show me  :mischief:
Thanks Bill, the blow holes are small its just me trying to be Mr Perfect.
I think looking at the drawings that the thinner base canbe put right by altering the hot cap flange to make up the lost metal.
The main cylinder casting is wrong ie over size at the top and no recess for the liner and the bottom ID to large so IM thinking of making the liner the full length of the casting. The water jacket fitting has been tapped in the wrong place and will foul the flywheel  :censored: so Im going to use a banjo fitting to get round that little problem
I have to be careful as the holes for the main cylinder casting, legs and others has already been tapped so Im stuck with these positions and wonky threads although I think I may be able to re tap to M4 and M5
If I still had access  to TIG I would have welded them back up but thats one draw back of retiring :hammerbash: although I will suffer that :Jester:
Hope that makes some sense and thanks for the info as youve built her.
Carl the drawing for the boat are for the model one not the big un and I have a copy of the build artical but watch this space :naughty: two to build one with a stirling at about 30 inches
http://www.steamboating.de/steamboat/steamboat-reciproca.php
http://www.photoshow.com/watch/re2pV5Pb
cheers

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 11:58:17 AM »
HMMMM pic, Il show you if you show me  :mischief:

Fair enough I suppose. Not acceptable...but fair.  ;D

Thanks for the links.
"To work. To work."

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 01:31:32 PM »
Frazer
There are just a few parts that would be a challenge from plate and barstock. The rest are pretty straightforward.
Both Bill and I have posted build logs. They may help.
Best,
Stan

fcheslop

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 09:54:40 PM »
Thanks Stan, I will read and learn from youre and Bills thread.
So guess that makes me guilty for not thinking of doing one although I dont see any pics from you know who . May make a good thread on how not to make a Ryder and the final pic of the parts hitting the scrap bin :facepalm:
War heh dont think Bill will be worried some how :lolb:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 10:17:13 PM »
although I dont see any pics from you know who

:cussing:

You too?

Sigh
"To work. To work."

Offline Stilldrillin

• Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 10:29:47 PM »
Please note David had nothing to do with any machining and Im still happy with the deal as in this neck of the woods the casting for me are expensive and I simply would not be in a position to build it otherwise
frazer

Thanks for that, Frazer!  ;)

Here's the post, from when it arrived, over five years ago.
 Note the anticipation and enthusiasm, I had in those days......  http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,3881.0.html

Good luck, Marra! 

David.
David.
Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!
Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

fcheslop

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2016, 10:39:45 PM »
Hiya Duck no probs Im in Jo mode just fondling and thinking :lolb:
Thanks for the link at least it shows how good it looked
Iv now got a sort of boring head made from a bit of kit from an old auto so can make a start on the main bearing housing and Iv trued up the face for it on the main cylinder casting as it was a wee bit out of square :facepalm:
Nope just looked and still no piccies from Mr camera shy :lolb:
edit Zee has pics :embarassed:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 10:52:04 PM by fcheslop »

Offline Stilldrillin

• Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2016, 10:57:51 PM »

The water jacket fitting has been tapped in the wrong place and will foul the flywheel  :censored: so Im going to use a banjo fitting to get round that little problem

Here's me final pic..........

:cheers:

David.
David.
Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!
Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal