Author Topic: Air supply for model steam engines  (Read 5748 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Air supply for model steam engines
« on: February 20, 2016, 03:24:43 AM »
I'm looking downstream to when I get my first engine (wobbler) completed and want to run it. I have a couple of larger compressors, but would like something to use in the house when I want to impress my family and friends!  :whoohoo: I envision a small, quiet compressor with a regulator that can fine tune the low air pressures that these engines work with.

I'm curious as to what others are using? 

Thanks,  Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline bruedney

• Wellington, New Zealand
Re: Air supply for model steam engines
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 03:36:10 AM »
An old fridge compressor - haven't got one but that is what a friend uses for displays
‘Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won’t work.’ — Thomas Alva Edison

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 03:39:38 AM »
I have a small unit made by Senco, the power nail/stapler people, that's so quiet I can hardly hear it a few feet away. It's big
enough to power brad nailer, staplers and finish nailers. Got it on sale at the woodworking store for about $90 US. I use it
anywhere it's not convenient to get the hose from the big compressor in the shop. Small and light too! Let me know and I can
go get model number, etc.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 03:44:58 AM »
I used to have a small pancake compressor from air nailer but it was very loud. Now use a California Air Tools model 1650A, nice and quiet, plenty of air for small engines.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 04:32:04 AM »
You could just use canned air "dust buster" and make a hoe attachment for the can. I seen some can attachments for the air in a cans somewhere just not sure.

Offline Thor

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 05:53:19 AM »
I use a small compressor for an airbrush to run my small wobblers.

Thor

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 10:56:33 AM »
For a quite small outlay a length of 4mm OD nylon air line to reach from your large compressor to the lounge room with just a restricting valve in the 4mm line will give all the control you need.
Bob
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 11:36:29 AM »
I was in a similar situation to yourself wanting to power small engines from a small compressor and bought one of these :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0054Q384A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

It works great for small models and was a bargain for £60 - I really only bought it for the compressor but have since used the airbrush with pleasing results so I'm well pleased with it.

It's quiet enough to use indoors without annoying the neighbours but I'd say it was a bit too loud if you wanted to run display engines for hours on end indoors.

Peter.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 12:25:33 PM »
I will second what crueby said. The California Air tools line is very quiet but powerful enough ever for larger engines later on,  and portable enough to easily take to shows. Also ideal for air brushing, and other household chores. They are available from Amazon as well. There is a product review  in that section of the forum.

Bill
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 12:37:21 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 12:43:59 PM »
I got a Devilbiss medical compressor, it runs up to 30 psi at fairly low volume, but adequate for small engines.  Being a diaphragm type, it does make a small amount of noise, but not too bad.
Ian S C

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 01:37:06 PM »
Or, something like this. Absolutely silent.

http://t.harborfreight.com/11-gallon-portable-air-tank-65595.html
Best,
Stan

Offline kev

• Portsmouth UK
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 02:47:30 PM »
that portable is a great price, nothing like that at a similar price available in the UK that I can find :(

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 02:59:44 PM »
That's because you don't have Horrible Fright stores. May be a plus for you :ROFL:
Best,
Stan

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2016, 04:01:11 PM »
The air pig Stan showed is also useful for outdoor shows where an electricity supply is unavailable.  Just don't expect to use it for a full day, even with very small engines.  When I lectured on prime mover technology at the local school I used one to demonstrate engines and it would last through an hour of lecture running a variety of engines including multi-cylinder, double-acting examples but by the end of the talk it would be just about empty.

I use an airbrush compressor in the house and the aforementioned California Air Tools compressor in the shop.  The latter is quiet enough that one can have a conversation at normal voice levels while standing next to it.

CPAP 'compressors' generally only produce about ten inches of water pressure  (~0.36 psi) so are useless for most engines.  My breath-powered engines will run on them but nothing bigger.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2016, 04:17:59 PM »
Thank you all for the informative replies. Lots of options for sure.

I see one of those California Air Tools model 1650A compressors replacing the noisy compressor in my garage. I have a larger quieter one in my hanger where my shop is located.

For a small compressor to use in the house, or pack with me, I think one of the small airbrush compressors will work great! This one interests me: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004KNBVOM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3MHOKPM8HMPQH&coliid=I3DUCLFO7RAMHV
Also Harbor Freight has some, as do others.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline coulsea

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 11:57:30 PM »
I use a weed sprayer, the type that you pump up by hand. a 5L one will run a stuart 10v but you need to keep slowly pumping.
keeps the grandchildren amused.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal