Author Topic: Wyvern or Centaur Engine (which one ?)  (Read 3815 times)

Offline Nick_G

Wyvern or Centaur Engine (which one ?)
« on: February 18, 2016, 04:04:44 PM »
I am considering my next project and am torn upon ideas as to what it shall be.

On the possible list is an IC engine, either a Wyvern or a Centaur. ............. But which one.?

What are the considerations, pit falls and merits of each please.

Regards,  Nick

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Wyvern or Centaur Engine (which one ?)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 04:18:16 PM »
Both said to be hard to get running

Centaur is bigger so its a no brainer which to do ;)

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 04:50:32 PM »
Both said to be hard to get running

Cheers Jason.

Is there perhaps an equivalent (4 stroke) design that I also should be considering.?

Nick

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 05:02:03 PM »
If you want a difficult one to get running then the R&B costs about the same and you won't need a magnifying glass for it :mischief:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline RayW

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 05:22:38 PM »
Hi Nick,

Don't believe all that you read! I am not an experienced engine builder and my Wyvern started for the first time ever on only the second spin of the flywheel. It now starts easily just by pulling the flywheels over compression by hand.
I found it a bit of a pain to get the valves to seal well initially, but even so, it started easily and the compression is now such that if you spin the flywheels against compression there is a really strong kick back.
If you decide to go with the Wyvern please feel free to ask if you have any questions.I found it a really enjoyable build.

Ray
Ray

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 05:59:23 PM »
Hello Nick.

I have to agree with Ray on this one. I have never had an IC engine defeat me. My avatar, for example, The Penultimate gas engine took six weeks of fine tinkering before it finally ran properly. This was my first own design engine with some really badly thought out ideas all rolled into one !! On another occasion I spent a whole weekend with a customers Robinson " X " type at a 1000 engine rally. I pulled it over so many times I ended up with tennis elbow. In fact the constant pulling had freed it up a little, free enough to run and run it did.

The moral, pick something you like the look of then spend your time carefully building it. Engineering is a matter of both precision and fit remember you can't fit a 5/8" peg in a 5/8" hole.... Well not without a hammer!!   ;)

Best of luck with your project of choice.

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 01:56:20 AM »
If you want a difficult one to get running then the R&B costs about the same and you won't need a magnifying glass for it :mischief:

Jo

I have read your build thread on that Jo. ........... Golly what a saga.!

Did you ever get the miscreant rascal to run.?

Nick

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 01:39:37 PM »
If you mean Jason  :mischief: yes having trapped his thumb under the crankshaft I would swear I saw panic on his face when he thought what might happen next :ROFL:

As for the engine: Eric Offen took it away to get it running for me, made friends with it and was clearly reluctant to return it :facepalm:. I had to recover it by entering it into the Guildford show and getting Eric to take it to the show for me then I sneaked it into the back of my car and home before he realised  ;) I now have a viller's carb that I will be making a mounting for.... The saga might yet end.

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 03:06:12 PM »
If you mean Jason  :mischief: yes having trapped his thumb under the crankshaft I would swear I saw panic on his face when he thought what might happen next :ROFL:

Yes I was worried that nurse Jo may offer to give me the kiss of life so made a hurried exit :paranoia:

But it does make a substantial paperweight :mischief:

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 04:07:54 PM »
It sounds like it needs a little holiday in North Wales!! Oh and don't worry about any " fatal attraction " it's not my type. ;)

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 05:52:47 PM »
It sounds like it needs a little holiday in North Wales!!

Kind regards, Graham.

Do you still produce casting kits Graham.?

Nick

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 06:23:13 PM »
It sounds like it needs a little holiday in North Wales!!

Kind regards, Graham.

Do you still produce casting kits Graham.?

Nick

Hello Nick.

Sadly, no. We suffered a serious setback when our local Iron foundry closed, partly the closure but also the theft of several of our Aluminium master pattern plates. They were insured but because the foundry had closed we couldn't receive compensation.

The Anson engine museum is doing the Gardner again but I think their stocks are low at this moment.

I do have a number of spares for each of the kits we produced but nothing in complete form.

Kind regards, Graham.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal