Author Topic: Third Annual Junior Design Contest  (Read 1511 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Third Annual Junior Design Contest
« on: April 27, 2016, 07:57:41 PM »
For the third year now, the junior mechanical engineering technology students built and tested their 2X versions of Elmer's "H-twin" engine. Today was test day for all seven teams, after working on their designs and then building the engines throughout the semester. This year was no exception to the creativity exhibited by the teams since they are allowed to "vary" the design so long as the keep the same bore and stroke of the original. Last year the hot tip used by the winning team was adding ball bearings to their design, but of course this year that cat was out of the bag and they all used bearings as far as I know. Its a blast to see the results of their hard work and the spirit of friendly competition between the teams also. I asked one of the teams after testing who was going to get to keep the engine and they said later this afternoon they will have a "custody" hearing  :lolb:

A few random pictures of the even are posted below.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Third Annual Junior Design Contest
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 10:35:40 PM »
Very cool Bill.

I always enjoyed teaching and tutoring. Very satisfying.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 11:16:53 PM »
Very nice Bill.  Congratulations to you and your students.  Their work looks top notch.  Any videos to share?  Their engines look cool. :ThumbsUp:

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 11:22:38 PM »
Phil, no I didn't take any videos, though I know the students took some. These are no longer my students though I did see some of them as freshmen in another course. They are aware of my hobby interests though and will sometimes find me to ask questions about design and how to do things, etc. I am more than happy to help but the credit doesn't belong to me...I just enjoy getting back downstairs to the shos whenever I can and this is a great excuse :)

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 11:41:08 PM »
I bet those guys were all pumped up Bill..........

8) Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 11:46:52 PM »
OH yeah Don, for sure, and one young lady on one team also.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal