Author Topic: Help request for LTD Sterling Engine  (Read 6456 times)

Offline AOG

Re: Help request for LTD Sterling Engine
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 05:17:50 PM »
I would like to recommend Elmer's number 25 as a good starting place. My build log can be found here:

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,3945.0/all.html

It will give you an idea of what your up against

Tony

Online MMan

• Hampshire, UK.
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 05:25:24 PM »
Hi Prasad,

I did an Elmers 25 as my first. The written article that describes making it is worth following too. The way it is structured, each new part involves learning a new skill. Very enjoyable.

Do not give up on Stirlings for the future, just not as a first engine.

Mman.

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 05:48:36 PM »
Hi Prasad, most people start with an oscillating steam engine. They have few parts, simple, quick to build and forgiving in their design. That's not to say you should but I would consider it first. There are lots of designs freely available on the internet.

Offline Bertie_Bassett

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 07:47:00 PM »
my first (and so far only) engine was a LTD stirling roughly built around one of jan ridders plans. mostly made out of what I had to hand and most ppl thought it wouldn't run!

although I had a few hiccups making the crank and getting a good seal on the displacer shaft it actually ran second time around and was actually easier then I thought it would be.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 07:50:56 PM by Bertie_Bassett »
one day ill finish a project before starting another!
suffolk - uk

fcheslop

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 07:52:58 PM »
Hi Prasad, have another look around Jans site as he has a very good write up about designing Stirling engines may save buying the book.
My first Stirling was Moriya by Mr Senfit the drawings are on the web for free and can thoroughly recommend it as is fairly forgiving for a simple rag hand like me.
On Huib Vissors site I think there is some links to simpler Stirling builds also on the BloOOo forum there is a nice design for free
As others have said a Stirling may not be the wisest choice for a first build but you know youre own capabilities.

cheers

Offline prasad

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 11:46:42 AM »
my first (and so far only) engine was a LTD stirling roughly built around one of jan ridders plans. mostly made out of what I had to hand and most ppl thought it wouldn't run!

although I had a few hiccups making the crank and getting a good seal on the displacer shaft it actually ran second time around and was actually easier then I thought it would be.

Thanks Bertie, that is very encouraging. I viewed your photobucket video. Looks great. I am still lost on materials I need to gather before jumping to a model.

Regards
Prasad

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016, 04:19:06 PM »
With a LTD engine you need to be very mindful of fits and clearances they are a pain to get working correctly. If this is your first build I would suggest taking your time and make sure you have the fits and sizes correct. I myself did not start with a LTD I built several steam engines and a atmosphere engine (called a flame licker) before I did an LTD. Of all my engines I've built I would say the most finicky and hardest to get running was the LTD. But don't let that discourage you just  as I say take your time.
  Here is a video of one of mine running on some ice placed on the top plate I did that with some dry ice too but it seemed to run about the same as just plain old ice. It will run on a cup off anything hot too this vid was I was just playing around with it. I think they have sat on the self since and have not been run I made 3 of them.
  <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBly6VJSRzQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBly6VJSRzQ</a>

Offline Bertie_Bassett

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2016, 05:31:56 PM »
like I said, I used what I had to hand.

main plates were about 11mm thick, I recessed the base so it was only about 2mm thick to aid heat transfer.

the power cylinder was a glass test tube, with the piston made from an old motor brush. displacer cylinder was made from balsa wood sheet and  is hollow. The rest of the bits were the gears and shafts from an old valve actuator.

oh and the displacer shaft seal was made with a small bit of black delrin, pvc should also work well there. I did  a build log over on madmodder if you want any more details.

if your carefull the bearings in an old hard drive are perfect for these engines, as they have so little resistance
one day ill finish a project before starting another!
suffolk - uk

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2016, 05:54:33 PM »
I tried to use Delrin  but found it to be problematic it would work for a while then not I think the Delrin takes on moisture and then drags a little too much. I changed it out for graphite  and it solved the problem.

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2016, 06:30:45 PM »
Yes, graphite or PTFE for the glands would be ideal.

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2016, 08:02:45 PM »
If you have not played already with an engine, buy a cheap one, as easily found on eBay. You will appreciate the goal to reach as regards freedom of movement, and airtightness. It is a point hard to feel without testing it, and hard to describe in post...and building your own, that I suggest much larger than these commercial engines, would be certainly more straitforward knowing that.
Absolutely free movement and airtightness together, this is difficult to do for a first...

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2016, 05:02:24 PM »
Zephyrin, good advice, I did the same - then decided there was no way I could match the CNC accuracy (might have a go now after numerous steam engines a hot air engine and 3 flame lickers). I got the vast majority of my money back re-selling on eBay.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal