Author Topic: Rolling Tool Cart  (Read 4620 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Rolling Tool Cart
« on: February 10, 2016, 12:55:26 AM »
I should say up front that yogi put me onto this over on his Duclos build thread. I ordered mine through Home Depot with free shipping to the local store for pickup. Cost was $169+tax. I had checked on Amazon and they wanted $331 for it with free shipping, but still not even close in price to Home Depot so I figured I would order it before they discovered their price might be too low :)

Finally got the time to assemble it this past Sunday afternoon and was really impressed with the packing it cam in...no dents, dings, or scratches. The top portion with the wood top and 3 drawers is all pre-assembled, so assembly required only attaching the 4 legs, the bottom tray and the 4 casters (2 swivel and 2 fixed). Everything lined up well and there are nice inserts in the base tray and drawer unit for the hardware to screw right into so no nuts to fiddle with. Same thing for attaching the casters. The legs and base tray are plenty heavy with the base tray reinforced in several placed with cross ribs, etc. so its very stable. The casters are 5" dia. x 2" wide and quite heavy duty as well. The casters alone would probably cost $60-70 if purchased separately. So far I am impressed with it for the price and the 3 drawers will be most welcome for storing some of the overflow from my Kennedy work bench. My other interest was the wood top which is very nicely finished and will be good for taking pictures of things in process, just as Yogi has done in his thread.  Thanks Yogi for the info on this!!

The pictures below are a little dark as there wasn't much direct light in the garage tonight, but the link to the home depot site will also give additional information. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-36-in-3-Drawer-Rolling-Tool-Cart-with-Wood-Top-Black-HOUC3603B1QWK/204856169

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Rolling Tool Cart
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 01:38:31 AM »
Nice addition Bill, but be careful; if it is like most of the horizontal surfaces in my shop it will soon be covered with stuff!  :lolb:

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 01:44:19 AM »
Yeah, I resemble that remark Dave, but am really going to try to make this surface only for engines in progress and photo shoots. I am hoping the three drawers will help take care of the need for extra storage space...that's the plan anyway :)

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 01:50:46 AM »
Nice score. The wood top is a plus.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 01:52:43 AM »
Nice score Bill. The wood top does make a great surface for pictures.  I definitely would resist the urge to cut gaskets on it  8)

Cletus

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 02:35:00 AM »
Nice Bill, Husky has always been a good brand as far as I know. But you know before long you'll be using it for assembly. The drawers are a plus for storage...... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 02:54:03 AM »
Very nice!   :cheers:
I'm glad you like it   :ThumbsUp:

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 03:39:08 AM »
My experience is the same as Bill's. I saw Yogi's post and ordered a Husky Tool Cart through Home Depot. Delivered to the store for $169 but our sales tax is $0. Went together the same as Bill described. I used it as a home for my Sherline Lathe.

I found it a little high for my purposes with the casters on. So, I replaced the casters with four wooden blocks. Now it doesn't roll around on me. Also, differing from Bill, I have no illusions that it will remain pristine either in collecting stray tools or keeping a nice finish on the surface. I know me.

But I agree it's a nice tool cart and I'd recommend it.

Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 05:58:11 AM »
That is a nice tool cart, and a good price. I found a nice Husky toolbox with drawers for just $30 on Craigs List, and bought it Monday evening:

I really need a large tool cabinet with lots of drawers, and they seem to be quite pricey, even from Harbor Freight. Sometimes Ace Hardware has this Craftsman tool chest on sale for under $100, but I missed the last two opportunities:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35692506

Craftsman 6 Drawer Standard Duty Tool Center (00932318) - Ace Hardware

I'm probably going to order this, for $119, from Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-24-in-10-Drawer-Tool-Chest-and-Rolling-Tool-Cabinet-Set-Grey-C-210B/204188454

HDX 24 in. 10-Drawer Tool Chest and Rolling Tool Cabinet Set, Grey
This one is also pretty nice, with 13 drawers, for $150:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-24-in-13-Drawer-Chest-and-Cabinet-Set-Black-C-308BS-C-305BS/205722657

Stanley 24 in. 13-Drawer Chest and Cabinet Set, Black

I found the same Husky tool box I bought is only $40 new, but I saved $10 and I like using Craigs List, so it's all good.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-Drawer-Portable-Tool-Chest-with-Tray-TB-303B/203206053

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 12:37:05 AM »
Hugh, nice to know your experience was similar to mine. I agree it might be a bit high with the casters on for machining, but you can always save them if you need to convert it back to a rolling cart.

Paul, nice find on the toolbox. As Don said, Husky seems to be a pretty good name even if not in the league with Kennedy which is now out of sight. If you are thinking of ordering one of those others you show from Home Depot, I would advise to goo and look at it in the store if they are a stocked item. At those prices I would want to see the gauge of the steel used and the quality of the drawer slides as my experience at school with lower cost rolling cabinets has not been great.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal