Author Topic: 2-6-0 Mixed Trafic Tender Locomotive  (Read 27533 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
Re: 2-6-0 Mixed Trafic Tender Locomotive
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2017, 07:27:06 AM »
hi Stew, hope you're well. I was quite surprised when I found this thread! Sort of your 3rd loco build! What ever happened to Mabel? 3 1/2" gauge engines are hard work when you see everyone else zooming around with a heavy load lap after lap. Did you find it was low on power? This one certainly won't be, great start - it is going
To be something else this. Locos are great because you can't turn out this beast on relatively small equipment, something capable of pulling such a large load and having such a lot of fun. Keep up the good work Stew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Nick

Good to hear from you we are all well thank you I hope every one is well at your end are you still making full size trains.

As for Mable she's still under the bench waiting completion, I'd made a critical error when I made the boiler:- top of the fire box is far to close to the outside of the boiler so that there will insufficient water to keep the fire box covered: that and the fact that I realised that she wouldn't have the power to do what i wanted, hence I took on the Simplex.

This will be the third season I've had the Simplex in steam and she's doing real well I've had 10 adults behind here, I'm getting a great deal of pleasure driving it.

The Crab if I'm spared to finish her should be a bit of a beast, I'm making steady progress but I find Don Young's drawings/design a bit of a challenge that and I just can't help myself in to change things to suite my own way of working in trying to make everything I can from solid the  wheels, will be the only castings used.

Cheers
Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2017, 07:07:18 PM »
Hi Stew, yes all ok thanks - building full size trains is hard! Ah sorry to hear about Mabel boiler - I don't think the club would entertain mine now, new boiler inspector and a seems a bit more strict on what is / isn't allowed. Somebody I was speaking to had to join another society to get an older boiler through its test! I wish I had got a new one from that guy we found but didn't quite have the money at the time and no doubt he has doubled the price now!

The best bet for me would probably be to start on sweet pea as I have a professional boiler with fittings and a set of castings.

I am sure your mods will make it easier to make and use Stew. Some designs you see don't always seem to bear in mind the practicalities of making and running them!

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2018, 08:05:38 AM »
I think its about time I post an update of progress so far.

I've been slowly beavering away at the build except for a few small tooling projects just as a change. I've got the slide bars and cross head made and I'm making the valve linkage at the moments I did buy a set of laser cut linkages but I didn't like the way you have to fabricate the forked ends so I'm making them out of solid so that they can be case hardened.

The motion plate is made from a laser cut part with the edge fluting milled in the same as for the radius Link Bracket that's shown her clamp roughly in place as a trial fit it won't get fitted till I have the rest of the valve links fitted so that it can be correctly placed.

And I've recently taken delivery taken delivery of the Boiler from Western Steam and I must say they've made a lovely job of it with great service.

Any way her's a few photos.

Stew

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2018, 11:02:47 AM »
That looks fantastic Stew!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2018, 11:10:53 AM »
That looks fantastic Stew!
I will second that  :ThumbsUp:  :praise2:

Offline kvom

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2018, 03:06:49 PM »
you need to change the date in the camera.   :Director:

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2018, 06:18:02 PM »
Looking great Stew! I’ve recently bought a 5” Ajax loco, need to re-join the club and get it stripped and tested so the boys can have fun with it!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2018, 06:28:17 PM »
Amazing Stew, and great pictures to show off the current state of things also (even if the date is wrong)  ;)

Bill

Offline Stilldrillin

• Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2018, 07:54:10 PM »
Don't care about the date......

Top class, Stew! 
David.
Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!
Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Offline kvom

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2018, 09:56:28 PM »
Just didn't want people to think you'd stopped 6 years ago.   ;D :Lol:

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2018, 06:10:04 AM »
Thanks for your interest chaps: the reason I havn't posted sooner is that I got very P*****d off with photobucket and the bunch af greedies who have control of it now, so I stopped taking pictures. I've swapped to another hosting provider (imgur) i'm still trying to get to grips with there system but so far they seem ok.

you need to change the date in the camera.   :Director:

Sorry about that but it doesn't bother me I just don't look at it, but I will try and remember to change it.

Looking great Stew! I’ve recently bought a 5” Ajax loco, need to re-join the club and get it stripped and tested so the boys can have fun with it!

Hi Nick good to her you've got yourself another engine Ajax's are good usfull engines you'll get some fun out of it.

Don't care about the date......

Top class, Stew! 

Hi Dave good to her from you I hope you and yours are all well

Cheers All

Stew

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2018, 07:51:13 AM »
Just to give you some idea of the work involved in making the valve linkage.

This is the radius link

Square up a length of mild steel, and drill the holes and corner position and then chew out the material not wanted

And these are the finished links you can see where they go on the full size picture

Stew

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2018, 08:40:33 AM »
Looking good Stew  :ThumbsUp:

Its a lot of work goes into each of those links

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2018, 10:42:27 AM »
Magnificent work here, this loco looks great, she's gaining weight picture after picture ! I hope your bench will survive.

this is the difficult point with large gauge, i'm doomed to gauge 1...

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2018, 06:45:23 AM »
My last post was in February so its about time I did another update:- progress has been slow through the busy summer months lots of other things to do but I have made progress:- as you can see the motion is more or less complete I have one or two issues I need to tidy up before I start to set the valve events and I have one more link to make but I need to determine the hole centres before I do that and then I'll be ready to try it out on air.

Stew 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal