Author Topic: Two cycle Engine from Bar stock  (Read 11358 times)

Offline Stillyriver

Re: Two cycle Engine from Bar stock
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2016, 07:06:16 AM »
 Understand the frustration with Westbury's dimensioning but sorry you're abandoning this. From my own experiences with drafting & drafting checking in the paper & pencil days & Westbury drawings I think there is just a simple drafting error on the liner. That the 5/8 & 11/16 dim's are reversed since we know the exhaust port opens first. So lets assume the exhaust is 5/8 below top of liner for a moment. On the block you are given a 21/32 to middle of port - 3/32 to top of port + 1/16 to top of liner = 5/8. So the exhaust ports will line up that way.
 Now the transfer ports are really dimensioned poorly on the block. It would have been simpler to locate  the ports with one dimension from top of block to top of port but instead you have a daisy chain of extra math relating to the boss and indirectly to the transfer ports: 1/2 + 1/2 - 1/4 - 3/16 + 1/16 liner lip = 5/8. Tilt! So at this point I'd lean towards using the 11/16 dimension & tweaking the less important boss to match the port location.
 On the other hand the 9/16 & 5/8 dimensions Jason provided from Westbury's book might be another choice. Either way it seems clear to me he intended the transfer port to be 1/16 below exhaust. It occurs to me that the lower port position could be raised with a file if the higher position turns out to be the right one.
 Anyway, thanks guys for providing me with enough drawings to spend an afternoon solid modeling another Westbury engine.
  Jeff

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal