Author Topic: My design for an opposing piston engine  (Read 9894 times)

Online Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Re: My design for an opposing piston engine
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2016, 06:24:41 PM »
I've decided to release my engine design.  Here is a 2D animation showing the general idea, I hope someone will enjoy looking at it and maybe make a model. 

If anyone does want to make one, I am able to help with the coils and magnets for the generator side.

Any questions welcome, best wishes.

Camerart.

Hello Camerart.

It looks a very nice design however  " prior art " might just be a problem. The Körting Engine was essentially a single cylinder version, there's a nice picture of one in Rankin Kennedy's Modern engines and power generators of 1905.

I also see some problems arising in the animation. As the compressed air is admitted it will have a tendency to go straight out of the exhaust ports, not a problem if you're going to use Diesel fuel directly injected but the complete opposite for fuel/air mix. I also notice that during the air compression stroke the ports are open, so some practical means would be needed to keep them shut until the required time.

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline Camerart

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2016, 07:46:51 PM »
Hi A,

The idea was to simplify things and try to lower friction and moving parts by using a linear design, also the compression can be changed at will in mine.

C.

Offline Camerart

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2016, 07:54:39 PM »
interesting idea, is it IC or steam ? Also 2 problems with stuff 1, the oil companies will buy up the patents then sit on them so they can still sell oil products for inefficient 19 century infernal combustion engines..........2, the chinese will copy it and make them without due regards to the inventor.....Hope this is not too negative sounding. What about lubrication as there will be no splash as with con rods....how is it started........ Good luck however.!!

Hi S,
It is IC, Patents are no problem and anyone can copy it now it's open.  Not too negative, thanks.

Lubrication will be added as it is developed.

It is started, by putting current into the coils, as in a solenoid.

C.

Offline Camerart

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2016, 08:08:37 PM »

Hello Camerart.

It looks a very nice design however  " prior art " might just be a problem. The Körting Engine was essentially a single cylinder version, there's a nice picture of one in Rankin Kennedy's Modern engines and power generators of 1905.

I also see some problems arising in the animation. As the compressed air is admitted it will have a tendency to go straight out of the exhaust ports, not a problem if you're going to use Diesel fuel directly injected but the complete opposite for fuel/air mix. I also notice that during the air compression stroke the ports are open, so some practical means would be needed to keep them shut until the required time.

Kind regards, Graham.

Hi G,

Regarding the exhaust ports: Don't you think it will work as a two stroke if timed correctly where the incoming gas blows out the exhaust?

EDIT: After a re-think, due to it's supercharged nature, the exhaust would indeed need some sort of timed restrictor mechanism.

EDIT EDIT: Another re-think!  What would happen if the main cylinder inputs were only the outer ones and the exhaust was the inner ones, would this give enough time to clear most of the burnt gas out of the cylinder, leaving most of the fresh charge inside?

The piston skirts should be longer to cover the main cylinder input ports till the correct time, during air compression.

Thanks.

C.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 12:13:01 PM by Camerart »

Online sco

Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Camerart

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2016, 10:33:53 AM »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:11:23 PM by Camerart »

Offline Camerart

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2016, 01:58:01 PM »
I'm puzzled!  Since I posted my idea, there appears to be no interest in making a model based on it.  Is it too difficult, or is it not clear how it works?  I would love someone to have a go.

Camerart.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2016, 02:04:30 PM »
Making models takes time so people normally make models of what they want to make and they start by looking at the drawings.

If you want someone to make a model for you of a specific design there are people who will do so but they require payment by the hour.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Camerart

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2016, 10:59:36 AM »
Making models takes time so people normally make models of what they want to make and they start by looking at the drawings.

If you want someone to make a model for you of a specific design there are people who will do so but they require payment by the hour.

Jo

Hi Jo,
I quite understand just how long it would take to make a model, and please make some allowances for the time the inventor takes to come up with a design.  Much of the time is spent simplifying the design. 

I was hoping for a more pioneering person, who wants to make something different, instead of making one from existing plans.   

I don't want someone to make it for me, but for themselves, as an adventure, with possibly a unique engine/generator to be proud of.

I notice there have been many views of my design, and I bet there is someone making one in secret ;)

C.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 11:44:52 AM by Camerart »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2016, 12:12:41 PM »
Camerart,

While the animated concept picture is interesting, for someone to make this (and assuming that some of the issues raised could be overcome), they would still have to start from scratch and produce working drawings on their own. For most of us, not only is this a hobby, but shop time is also limited by work commitments, families, and other responsibilities. While I admire your optimism, I would have to re-itterate that this is not the most likely venue for that happening, and we don't tend to be a "secretive" bunch.

Bill

Offline Camerart

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2016, 04:08:48 PM »
Hi Bill,
I understand about lack of time, as I have less now I'm retired, than I did at work, how does that work?

Regarding drawings, I would be happy to work with anybody who would like to develop it, and draw the drawings for them, also help with the magnet/coil side of things.  Having said that, I would need to be able to talk it over, so it would need to be someone I could meet personally.  Perhaps you are right, that this isn't the best place to try, thanks for your reply.

C.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2016, 06:39:33 PM »
Camerart

I have been following your thread but not commenting, but to me what you are really looking for is a collaborator to help you work out the problems with you idea , looking at your concept I can foresee that there will be many .

I totally agree with Bill I doubt if any forum member would have the time let alone the inclination for such an undertaking , evan a simple engine to known principles to envisage draw up and bring to a completion would take a few years to do

However I wish you luck with your endeavour , I hope you succeed and we have a new highly efficient prime mover to look forward to , if you get near to 80% eff you will do very well indeed

These are my thoughts and are not intended to insult you in anyway

Good luck Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Camerart

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2016, 09:41:12 AM »
Hi Stuart,

Sad to say, it looks as though it will probably fade away then!  It does need someone to dedicate their time and trouble, which is unlikely, as it's a bit of a gamble, unless there are engineers already thinking about something similar, and seeing this may help them, hopefully.

Cheers, thanks for looking, C.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal