Author Topic: My design for an opposing piston engine  (Read 10058 times)

Offline Camerart

Re: My design for an opposing piston engine
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 01:26:12 PM »
Are you thinking of something like this?

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013/02/dlr-20120220.html

Hi R,

Yes, it's this type of thing, but in my opinion, taken to the next phase of development.

C.

Offline Camerart

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 08:09:06 PM »
Is there no one interested in my design?

C.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 09:03:07 PM »
The design is interesting, but I will admit that most members here are more inspired if they see someone else building it first ....

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester UK (where the lathes were made)
    • Bill's website
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 09:07:45 PM »
Unless you're prepared to outline the actual design , I cannot see anyone wanting to commit the time - The people here want to show their work not hide it away so someone else might benefit. :shrug:

Offline Niels Abildgaard

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 06:47:00 AM »
Is there no one interested in my design?

C.

It will be fun to look at and discuss.
Inventor problem (am one myself) is wanting to get rich on something without patent protection.
Give up getting rich and show us what You have or get a patent.

Offline Camerart

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 10:02:35 AM »
While I consider sharing my ideas, please consider the many many hours I've spent thinking about it, and after you have built an engine which also takes many careful hours, would you give it away? 

If my idea has legs, and does go on to be adopted by a manufacturer, I would have watch as it come to fruition with only a mild pain as reward, so spare the poor inventor ;)

C.

Offline BillTodd

• Bill's website
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 11:15:38 AM »
Before you are accused of being a troll, because it's taken umpteen posts just to establish the thing is a free piston engine!...

You should focus on the smallest part that makes your design idea unique (in your view)  then think of as many words and ways to describe it as possible, jump on google patents and start searching for anything close. Make a list of the ones that vaguely cover your invention (there will be many)  . If you still believe it unique, then you have to put your money where your mouth is, and approach a patent agent or lawyer. It will not be cheap.

My thoughts are: that if your new idea is so  simple, a home model maker can construct it (i.e. it is just a mechanism) , then it has probably been tried before.

And, if it involves 'powerful' magnets .... just look on YouTube!

Best of luck,

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 11:25:49 AM »
If you are looking to lodge a Patent: I recall a fellow model engineer lodged one over 20 years ago in the UK and it cost over £2K  :o back then.

A Patent agent will carry out the checks for you (at your cost  :disappointed:).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 11:45:27 AM »
While I consider sharing my ideas,

If you haven't, you should think about NDAs (non-disclosure agreements).
As soon as you share an idea on the forum (any forum), it will become public.
As soon as you share an idea with someone else, they may become eligible as a co-inventor.

I don't know where you are located...some governments have agencies that provide help in areas like this.
Small Business in the USA is one.
Do you have friends who work for companies and who have friends in their IP (intellectual property) department?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Camerart

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 12:20:04 PM »
To Bill,

I'm not a troll Bill, and I didn't even know it was called a 'Free piston engine' I did call it an opposing piston engine in the title, though.

Jo,  We used to have a patents office in London, where one could search, and I learned how to do it, and I took a patent out for 'Thin film etching conveyor' for very thin circuit boards.  Then I designed this: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgROBScFUfc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgROBScFUfc</a> so far I've never profited from thinking apart from at work or personal toys.

Z, I was hoping for a uk engineer would like to look at it, using an NDA.  I accept it is something that may scare people off, as it takes commitment etc from both parties, without any guarantee of what path things will take. 

As this will take a lot of development it may be a good idea for me to give it away, which I'm still considering.  Unless someone comes forward with a sense of adventure.  Who knows, it may be worthless especially as electric vehicles may be favourable over fossil fuel ones.
C.

Offline BillTodd

• Bill's website
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2016, 02:31:40 PM »
didn't even know it was called a 'Free piston engine' I did call it an opposing piston engine in the title, though.

That is your problem in a nutshell :-) 

if you didn't know it was called a free piston engine, then you really have not done your research, so how can you know your idea is unique?

I don't want to sound too negative but, everybody, their next-door neighbours and their friends, have designed engines, there must be millions of designs and as many pantents (maybe more)  .  Coming up with something new and making money outof it , is akin to winning the lottery.  The lottery is a whole lot easier :-)

Offline Camerart

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2016, 09:46:18 PM »
Bill,
[[[That is your problem in a nutshell :-)

if you didn't know it was called a free piston engine, then you really have not done your research, so how can you know your idea is unique?]]]

I wouldn't generally carry out a search using terms like 'free piston engine' as it could narrow the search.  I generally search using wider tems, in case the unique part of the invention, is in another section.  A quick search of free piston engine patents, didn't show my design.  Of course this doesn't prove it's not there somewhere.  I think it's better to develop this idea a bit more , before having a detailed search, which has already been mentioned to be quite expensive.

C.

Offline Camerart

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2016, 02:47:40 PM »
I've decided to release my engine design.  Here is a 2D animation showing the general idea, I hope someone will enjoy looking at it and maybe make a model. 

If anyone does want to make one, I am able to help with the coils and magnets for the generator side.

Any questions welcome, best wishes.

Camerart.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 03:52:01 PM by Camerart »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2016, 04:22:12 PM »
interesting idea, is it IC or steam ? Also 2 problems with stuff 1, the oil companies will buy up the patents then sit on them so they can still sell oil products for inefficient 19 century infernal combustion engines..........2, the chinese will copy it and make them without due regards to the inventor.....Hope this is not too negative sounding. What about lubrication as there will be no splash as with con rods....how is it started........ Good luck however.!!

Offline Niels Abildgaard

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2016, 05:04:56 PM »
I've decided to release my engine design.  Here is a 2D animation showing the general idea, I hope someone will enjoy looking at it and maybe make a model. 

If anyone does want to make one, I am able to help with the coils and magnets for the generator side.

Any questions welcome, best wishes.

Camerart.

Another solution to same problem and has existed on web 15 years at least.

http://chevy57.free.fr/FORUM/junkers_two-stroke_crosshead.gif

The working principle  was proven by  engine shown here

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=8&u=18152236

I have not earned a big fortune,but rather lost a small one trying to produce it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal