Author Topic: My design for an opposing piston engine  (Read 10046 times)

Offline Camerart

My design for an opposing piston engine
« on: February 04, 2016, 07:58:27 PM »
Hi
I have spent many hours over my life time, trying to design a novel engine.  I've had a number of different type designs, and the latest is for charging electric vehicles, without any drive to the wheels.

I'm looking for someone who is interested enough to make one to try out.  I'm not sure if it coud be a commercal venture, or if this forum is for such a thing, but if anyone is interested, pease contact me.  I would like to keep this private until it's viability has been accessed.

I live in the UK. Looking forward to any replies.

Camerart.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:06:44 PM by Camerart »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: My design for an opposing piston engine
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 08:33:48 PM »
Camerart, the forum is intended for the sharing of model engine projects, and not really for the design or development of commercial applications. We also encourage some level of participation prior to asking for things other than perhaps questions about a certain build or known design, etc. Members are certainly free to respond should someone have an interest in your proposal, but aside from that this is not the kind of project that would typically be documented within the pages of MEM. Good luck in your endeavor however.

Bill

Offline Camerart

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 10:39:44 PM »
Hi Bill,

I completely understand that my request isn't really in the spirit of your forum, but if I explain a bit of my story, as illustration of my intent it may help someone to be interested: 
Having learned how the internal compustion engine works, and being inventive, I designed a rotary engine in my teens, but my dad said " If Ford's can't do it, you can't"  I trusted his judgement and let time pass.  5ish years later the NSU Wankel engined car came out, and although my engine wasn't quite the same, it had similarities.   This prompted me to re-visit my ideas. 

The latest one, is completely different, and could be really interesting for someone to have a go at.  I have a lathe and milling machine also the skills to make one, but a better engineer with engine manufacturing skills and experience would make a better candidate. 

C.

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester UK (where the lathes were made)
    • Bill's website
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 11:56:41 PM »
have you considered a virtual model? i.e. 3d 

I have made such models under NDAs for a few 'inventors' . it can be instructive , i have pointed out a few wrinkles as well;-)

BTW what you described initially, put me in mine of the Marshall Tri-dyne engine :

http://wktodd.webspace.virginmedia.com/animations/Tridyne%20colourised.gif

Offline bytewise

• Dutchess Co. NY USA
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 12:08:55 AM »
If you have not already seen  it, check out the Doxford opposed piston marine engines. There is a museum and a web site with history and pictures.
Hugh

Offline Brian

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 08:09:21 AM »
Also take a look at Napier Deltic ---Commer T S 3--- Junkers Diesel aircraft.-- Free piston engines.
it May help.

Brian

Offline Camerart

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 08:50:41 AM »
have you considered a virtual model? i.e. 3d 

I have made such models under NDAs for a few 'inventors' . it can be instructive , i have pointed out a few wrinkles as well;-)

BTW what you described initially, put me in mine of the Marshall Tri-dyne engine :

http://wktodd.webspace.virginmedia.com/animations/Tridyne%20colourised.gif

Hi Bill,

I have a 2D animation, which any motor engineer would be able to 'read'. As for 3D, as an aside! My son has just bought a computer for animation, which need it's own power meter as it can use 750W.

The Tridyne engine looks interesting.  The one I thought of at school (From memory) had one inner and one outer 'piston' and 'cylinder' the 'piston'  was offset from the 'cylinder' with the piston spinning inside the also spinning cylinder.  I remember getting stuck with sealing, as the 'piston ring' needed to be split at the 'corners' so that the centre ones could centrifuge outwards while the side ones were pushed sideways.

C.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:04:12 AM by Camerart »

Offline Camerart

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 08:52:44 AM »
If you have not already seen  it, check out the Doxford opposed piston marine engines. There is a museum and a web site with history and pictures.
Hugh

Hi B,

When carrying out a patent search, I came across the Doxford engine. mines much different, but thanks.

C.

Offline Camerart

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 08:58:54 AM »
Also take a look at Napier Deltic ---Commer T S 3--- Junkers Diesel aircraft.-- Free piston engines.
it May help.

Brian

Hi B,

All similar, and what what a good engineer would come up with for fast high compression, but again, nothing like mine.

C.

Offline BillTodd

• Bill's website
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 10:00:26 AM »

The one I thought of at school (From memory) had one inner and one outer 'piston' and 'cylinder' the 'piston'  was offset from the 'cylinder' with the piston spinning inside the also spinning cylinder.  I remember getting stuck with sealing, as the 'piston ring' needed to be split at the 'corners' so that the centre ones could centrifuge outwards while the side ones were pushed sideways.

C.

Sounds like the Cooley design (pre cursor to the wankel which used the same basic mechanism)   

www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/POWER/rotaryengines/rotaryeng6.htm#cool

Not wishing to sound too cynical, but I doubt you will have come up with any basic layout that would be patentable , the are a finite number of cylinder and piston arrangements and they've all been tried before, often many times.  Most new engine patents these days seem to have been devised only to circumvent previous pantents , there's just not a whole lot of originality left.

Bill

[edit] Added Cooley - Wankel  comparison
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 11:15:59 AM by BillTodd »

Offline Camerart

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 10:28:12 AM »
The one I thought of at school (From memory) had one inner and one outer 'piston' and 'cylinder' the 'piston'  was offset from the 'cylinder' with the piston spinning inside the also spinning cylinder.  I remember getting stuck with sealing, as the 'piston ring' needed to be split at the 'corners' so that the centre ones could centrifuge outwards while the side ones were pushed sideways.

C.

Sounds like the Cooley design (pre cursor to the wankel which used the same basic mechanism)   

www.douglas-self.com/MUSEUM/POWER/rotaryengines/rotaryeng6.htm#cool

Not wishing to sound too cynical, but I doubt you will have come up with any basic layout that would be patentable , the are a finite number of cylinder and piston arrangements and they've all been tried before, often many times.  Most new engine patents these days seem to have been devised only to circumvent previous patents , there's just not a whole lot of originality left.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Yes, the one I thought of at school was very like the Cooley engine.  Once the Wankel came out, I realised that I had the ability, but not a patent, as it had been invented before my thoughts, but it gave me confidence.

The one I'm talking about now (Not rotary), is not like anything I've researched, but it will take a better searcher than me, to fully check.  I'm offering it, to see if it works, as it may prove to have some part that is patentable, or perhaps just an interesting exercise.   

Mine doesn't have a crankshaft or output shaft, and only delivers electric current.  Let me know if you come up with anything similar.

C.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 10:38:01 AM by Camerart »

Offline BillTodd

• Bill's website
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 10:48:40 AM »
  Mine doesn't have a crankshaft or output shaft, and only delivers electric current.

So we are talking about a free-piston oscillator or a cam engine ?  :naughty:

Bouncing pistons off springs , gas or magnetic fields ?  (NASA played with this for an in space generator and there's at least one company selling a Stirling cycle free-piston generator for the home)

Cams ( :facepalm:) lots of promise , lots of designs , few have solved the piston-cam interface problem and had any commercial success.

Here's one I animated, just out of NDA - http://www.5cycleengine.com/

Offline Camerart

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 11:39:00 AM »
  Mine doesn't have a crankshaft or output shaft, and only delivers electric current.

So we are talking about a free-piston oscillator or a cam engine ?  :naughty:

Bouncing pistons off springs , gas or magnetic fields ?  (NASA played with this for an in space generator and there's at least one company selling a Stirling cycle free-piston generator for the home)

Cams ( :facepalm:) lots of promise , lots of designs , few have solved the piston-cam interface problem and had any commercial success.

Here's one I animated, just out of NDA - http://www.5cycleengine.com/

I agree, cams for power take off are not good design.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 11:40:53 AM »
Are you thinking of something like this?

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013/02/dlr-20120220.html

Best regards

Roger

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 12:56:26 PM »
     In amongst my collection of hot air engines, there is a free piston motor that drives a linear alternator, as it is an atmospheric motor, it is quite inefficient.
     One place an IC motor of this type was used was in the compacting hammer machine that was used on road building, it stood about 4ft high, and one man held the handles on each side while it went bang, bang------, a museum piece now, but some will remember them.
Ian S C

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal