Author Topic: Etched Brass Name Plates.. design software?  (Read 11371 times)

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
Re: Etched Brass Name Plates.. design software?
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2016, 04:40:20 AM »
Hi Pete,
 Just had ago go at importing a picture into Draftsight, worked a treat! Only problem is it's not a very hi res picture........have to see if I can get somebody to hopefully get me better ones. That the problem when you want to build something that 1/2 way round the world!

Ok back to the picture, I used  poly lines, I wasn't sure how but blundered ahead! Right I had Esnap on...turn it OFF! You need as many points as you think you need to go round the curves, suggest you use LOTS, .....question for Dave, is this what you did?....the other thing is make the picture as big as you can, I see why Dave did this, it makes it easier. The down side is you NEED  a hi res picture so mine was a bit fuzzy......or was it  :old:? Probably a combo of both. Hope this helps.

Cheers Kerrin

PS Dave are you going to give us a master class in etching plates?
Get excited and make something!

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2016, 01:08:26 PM »
If you are referring to Draftsight by Dassault, yes it is free, and on a Mac, it is worth just that! Full of unexplained glitches. I deleted it after many tries. It may be better now, as it's been a few years since.
Just saying.
Mosey

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2016, 04:22:31 PM »
Thank you Don!

Kerrin; Yes I used Poly Lines or Splines, not sure if there is a difference. I did this on most of the curved geometry that was traced. For the letters I would use horizontal and vertical lines to define the letters then go back and trace the curves in with the Spline, then trim everything up. I has been awhile but I seem to remember a command that will smooth the spline after you finish it. If you put in enough control points (the more the better) by the time you zoom back out it all looks pretty smooth anyway. You can always go back and adjust the individual points to match your picture if you didn't get them placed in the correct spot the first time.  A good sharp high resolution photo is a must; also some time is well spent getting the photo sized correctly and square. this makes it easier when placing the horizontal and vertical lines.

Yes keep the Esnap and Ortho turned off when tracing, and I do use Ortho when placing the orthogonal lines.

I would like to see what you are working on Kerrin.

Mosey; I can comment on the Mac version but I haven't had any trouble with the windows version. Hopefully they have fixed the bugs.

I'm just a novice tag maker but I would be happy to share what I have learned.
Dave

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2016, 04:26:03 AM »
hi Dave,
 Thanks for the info. Would agree the more points on the curve the better!

Mosey, as to the pro & cons of Draftsight...well I've got it running on windoz....the recent issue was my graphics card died & it didnt like that! I hooked into the Soildworks web site, they release Draftsight, & was going to go along to a presentation that was going to be here, the guy rang me up & we had a chat about what I was using it for etc...he would of been VERY happy to sell me a copy but at $10000 I figured I could use Draftsight AND have change for more TOOLS! Eldest son tells me Draftsite is c@@p & I should upgrade to AutoCad...but he's not paying!!

Dave attached is what I'm looking at making...plates for K1, just one of those things you think about when you have a bit of quite time. The first is from the front tank & is 1' 4 3/4" between the bolts, the 2nd is from the hind tank & is 11 1/2" between the bolts. Incase you dont know K1 picture 3 is here! Any hints tip & or tricks on making the plates would be most welcome. Just read about a guy 300 k's away whos into wax printing...hmmmmm could be worth looking into....
I'll contact the preservation group & see if it would be possible for them to send me a nice square on hi res picture, & if possible what font. Or if anybody on the group lives near by were K1 is please let me know! My wife & I made it to Caernarfon in September 2013 when we were on a tour of the UK, got to spend all of 10 minutes at the station with no trains, when we left one was going round the carrages but it wasnt K1!!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal