Author Topic: Home Brew ER16 Collet Chuck  (Read 9340 times)

Offline PJW

Home Brew ER16 Collet Chuck
« on: January 31, 2016, 05:20:24 PM »
I started with a piece of mild steel  25mm x 35mm in my Prazimat lathe, I drilled, tapped& counter bored it to suit the thread on my spindle, I made two of these, one 14 x 1.5mm to suit the Cowells & one to suite the Perris I will be selling. I drilled through both pieces 31/64” then screwed the on to their nose threads making sure that they are tight against the shoulder.
Old Guys Rule the Dark Side of the Shed!

Offline PJW

Re: Home Brew ER16 Collet Chuck
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 05:22:49 PM »
I next turned them true to the machines they would be used on, then turned the dia for the m19 x 1 thread with a run off for my single point threading. The 19 x 1mm is to match the nut I purchased! The threading was a simple job & was done in no time.

Offline PJW

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 05:53:18 PM »
I then returned prazimat to make a mandrel for one of the collets to slide on snugly. I left .5 mm on screwed it on to the lathe nose thread & finished it off on the machine it was to be used on.
I next clocked up the top slide to the angle of the collet side, I double checked this angle to make sure it would be right.

Offline PJW

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 06:00:34 PM »
Next stage was to put the partly made chuck back on and start to bore out the internal angle, I have an er16 chuck so I placed a collet in it to see how far it goes in, marked it & used this for a gauge. I bored the angle out to a fine finish & job almost done, the last job was to mill some spanner flats on.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 06:25:17 PM »
I am a tickler for tools and always interested in what others make. That turned out great and very useful............ :ThumbsUp:

Don

Online sco

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 06:33:20 PM »
Nice job Peter!

Simon.

Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline PJW

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 06:36:24 PM »
Thanks Don, I mentioned that i was going to make the chuck to sco (Simon) and he suggested I shared the build as it might be of interest. I was pleased with the finished product & it runs true so will get plenty of use if it is like my ER25's.'

Peter

Offline Holt

• Denmark
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 06:46:24 PM »
I love it, I bet it will be used a lot.

Holt

Offline steve-de24

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 09:32:32 PM »
Peter,
Thanks for the pics of your build, I've been thinking about kitting out my Cowells with ER16 collets and your posts make it look doable although I'll first have to get in a bit of practice with (new to me) internal threading. There is a series of videos on youtube of a guy making an ER32 collet chuck for his Boxford lathe which are worth a look although watch out for a mistake in part 2 which he corrects in part 3.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SV7lDiSXto" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SV7lDiSXto</a>

Steve

Offline PJW

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 10:07:41 PM »
internal threading?? I have never tried this yet myself, I purchased a nut of a well known auction site, the rest was done with a tap, have a go, if I can do it anyone can, nothing to loose is there!

Peter

Offline steve-de24

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 10:23:39 PM »
Peter,
I was thinking about cutting the internal 14x1 thread to attach the collet chuck to the spindle, I see you used taps for this. 
I'd be buying the collet closing nut.  Where did you get your collets and closing nut from? - I was looking at Arceuro which seem good value.
Steve

Offline PJW

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 11:54:37 PM »
My nut & collets are from china, I had a set ER25's from there two years ago and I have been pleased with them you have to wait a couple of weeks but I wasn't in a rush, they are so cheep you could throw them away if you have any trouble with them £10 a set, if I was making swiss watches I may need a little bit better quality,

Peter

Offline Thor

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 05:31:10 AM »
Nice work Peter, I made a similar chuck for my Emco Compact 8, only I made it for ER-32 collets since I use that on my milling machine. Very handy when turning round stock.

Thor

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 06:17:15 AM »
Peter:

Great idea. I have some ER-20 collets for milling machine tooling. It would be nice to have a collet chuck for my Sherline lathe. I'll add this to the list of things to make.

Thanks for posting.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 08:22:39 AM »
out of interest - how did you establish the true 8-degree taper? Most people who do this seem to spend a long time blueing and checking, then tweaking and re-cutting that tapered cone.

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal