Author Topic: Steam Engine/Cane Mill Drawings  (Read 5197 times)

Offline steve-de24

Steam Engine/Cane Mill Drawings
« on: January 27, 2016, 04:27:08 PM »
I came across this link which may be of interest to others. Shows drawings and photos of a steam engine and its cane mill in Puerto Rico. Plenty of other photos on the net of it in its restored state. Just look at those columns and entablature! 

https://www.loc.gov/item/pr0016/

Steve

Offline mikemill

Re: Steam Engine/Cane Mill Drawings
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 05:23:18 PM »
That information and excellent drawings would make a wonderful model, who is going to take it on?

Steve thanks for sharing.

Mike

Online sco

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 05:28:43 PM »
I vote Willy!

Steve that is a mighty interesting set of pictures - thanks for sharing.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline steve-de24

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 08:14:16 PM »
Mike,
I agree, I would love to see a model of it - I just wish I had the skill.

The Library of Congress is a wonderful resource that I haven't seen referred to on our side of the pond although I suspect our USA friends know about it.

Here's a good point to start browsing.

https://www.loc.gov/search/?in=&q=sugar+mill+steam+engine&new=true&st=

Some of these engines have lovely features, for instance how about this for a fancy cast conrod and an interesting conrod/beam bearing.

Steve

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 08:49:46 PM »
Thanks for the link to the drawings Steve.  I like to collect drawings like these which I consider works of art

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 03:50:51 PM »
This thread was moved at the request of the original poster.

Bill

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 05:14:00 PM »
A lovely engine ..quite difficult to make a model though with all those decorative castings ,even if your name was Grinling Gibbons !!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 07:16:19 PM »
A lovely engine ..quite difficult to make a model though with all those decorative castings ,even if your name was Grinling Gibbons !!

Oh, come on Willy, thats just your sort of fancy design!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 01:52:36 AM »

Yes ,indeed ,trouble is these engines are rather a long way away ,especially this one.......

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 02:20:02 AM »

Yes ,indeed ,trouble is these engines are rather a long way away ,especially this one.......

Would make a wonderful model though. Be an interesting excercise to figure out how to do those stacked columns from bar stock.

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 09:48:39 AM »
I think it would be easier to do it in stone.

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 12:59:47 PM »
Steve

Thanks for the link that gives access to this whole series of cane mill engines.  I stayed up too late enjoying the whole array of great picture.  As usual, if you spend enough time with these things you may spot something new.  Take a look at the small beam engine in this link:

https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.pr0031.photos/?sp=2

It is a nice small engine with a feature that I have never seen on this type of engine.  The valve control rod from the eccentric to the valve crank appears to be able to be able to be lifted off of the pin.  This was a common feature of many if not most of the later Corliss engines but I have never seen this on a beam engine.  Was this type of hook rod common at the time of this engine.

By the way, if you are into gear cutting,  this could be a very buildable model.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 01:29:43 PM »
I think you will find the lift off valve rod on Jo's S&P beam engine and common on all types of stationary steam engine.

I did post the same link for the first engine about a month ago on one of the stuart beam threads where it was discussed a bit.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,5531.msg108377.html#msg108377

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 04:23:52 PM »
Jason

Thanks for the response.  I am always amazed at my lack of knowledge but that is what keeps me interested.  Then again, it is possible that I did know that but have forgotten.  I am not sure that the engine that you showed is the same one, even though it does have a big reduction gear, as it is a winding engine and the one that I was pointing to is a cane mill engine.  Another thing that I notice on the cane mill engine is that even though it is a beam engine, it does not have the Watts parallel linkage.  It uses a crosshead guide for piston rod control.  In looking through the cane mill engines in the Library of Congress link provide above by Steve, I see several beam engines with crosshead guides.  These engines seem to be from the late 1800s.  I always thought that the Watts linkage was a big part of the beam engine but that may be because it is more interesting to model.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal