Author Topic: Captain Jerry's new shop  (Read 6129 times)

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
Captain Jerry's new shop
« on: January 25, 2016, 03:53:15 AM »
The following is a log of the creation of my new shop. 

Pretty nice, huh? No not the little shack.  That is the chicken coop.  The pile of sand.  That will be the sub base of the concrete slab upon which I will build my shop.

A very skillful boxblade operator spread the sand to a level that I would not have thought possible.  Just watching gave me a stiff neck.

Before he left for the day forms were laid and reinforcing mesh was installed.

And the following day,  the slab was poured and finished.  The area of the slab is 64' x 36' and while that sounds like a great big shop,  It will also house 4 horse stalls, a dog suite, a tack storage room, hay and feed storage, a general maintenance area, and maintenance equipment and tool storage.  That still leaves a generous 12' x 16' room for my shop.

Some of you may have some engineering and construction experience and will be wondering about the lack footers and the relatively light reinforcing in the slab.   This is Florida and this is not your normal construction.  This will be a pole barn.  The slab plays no part in the support of the structure.  The roof (metal) will be supported by 28 square post (8" x 8") set 4' in the ground  in 16" diameter holes and filled with concrete that is independent of the slab.

Why?  Because this is a horse farm with agricultural exemptions, and because this structure replaces a cow barn in the same location (even though the cow barn was demolished about 6 years ago), and because the structure is not intended for human residency,  It requires no building permit.  Which means no engineering design cost.  All that is required by the county is a general description and statement of intended use.

More to follow,

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline larry1

Re: Captain Jerry's new shop
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 03:59:11 AM »
Captain Jerry,  REALLY A GREAT LOOKING START.  LARRY
larry, southeastern kansas

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 10:36:09 AM »
That looks great Jerry, I hope it goes up quickly, and without any hitches. How's the dog? Cheers, Hugh.

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 12:47:53 AM »
Thanks Hugh,

The dogs are doing great.  Today was doggy visiting day at the farm.  In addition to the three full time residence, my great granddaughter was visiting with her  dog and my granddaughter and her friend were out of town for the weekend and so the dropped off her two dogs.  They are all great friends and get along with no problems.  Five pit bull mixed and a little Jack Russel terrier with plenty of running room and the dog play is continuous.

The shop is nearing completion but of course there have been delays.  The pictures above were taken last spring.  I just thought you guys would like to see it from the start.

After the slab had cured and aged for a month or more, the poles went up.  Lined up and plumbed and braced with diagonals, each post got about a dozen bags of Sackcrete, poured dry and watered in place.  Then more time passed as the concrete set up.  This barn sits on the highest point of the property with good drainage and the soil here is sandy so no water problems are expected.

And then the rafters and ridge pole are added.

More to follow.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 03:33:46 AM »
The metal roof went on quickly and I didn't get any pictures of the process.  This was a major step.  It marked the end of outside contractors.  From here on, with the exception of the electricians, It will be just me and my son-inlaw unless an unsuspecting friend or relative stops by.

Framing begins with the important parts, my shop and the adjacent general maintenance shop and storage.  These area will occupy the north end of the slab and the roof extends an additional 16' to the north providing a 16' x 36' covered storage for equipment as well as a weather protected entry to the shops.  The framed partitions sit on the slab and are 118" high which will give me a 9' ceiling height.  The frames support 2x8 joist covered by 3/4" plywood sheet.  Stairs from inside the barn will give access to this area for light household storage like Christmas decorations and other seasonal stuff.  Six inches of insulation in the overhead and four inches in the walls will help with the temperature control.  Shops will be heated and air conditioned.

The exterior walls are sheathed with OSB and sided with HardyBoard.  My shop has two windows on the west side and the door on the north side will have a nine panel glass window.

South wall looking through to tack storage room and beyond.

East wall, looking through to maintenance storage.

North wall looking through the door.  That metal shed is where my machines are stored and will go away when this is completed.

West wall, looking through the windows to the garage and driveway.  The electricians have come and roughed in the wiring.  All of the shop outlets are 48" from the floor to be above bench height.

I decided to install drywall or gypsum board on the walls and ceiling which will be painted white, semi-gloss.  My son-in-law wanted me to use a plywood bead board or vertical T-1-11 because he doesn't like doing the mud but I wanted the sound qualities of drywall so I have done all of the finishing.

He insists on plywood for the maintenence shop so he will do all of the sealing and painting of that area.

This brings the project nearly up to date.  The shop floor is about 1/3 installed but that is about all that these 77 year old knees can take on cold concrete in one day.  There will be no pictures  of the floor until it is complete.  I know that still pictures don't have a sound track but I am afraid that the foul language which is a necessary part of the flooring process might somehow seep through.

More to come,

Jerry

NOTARY SOJAK

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 01:24:04 AM »
At last!  The floor  is in.  I had looked at as many of the epoxy products as I could and the one thing that they all have in common is a great emphasis on the necessity of extensive and labor intensive  preparation and after they are applied, they look great but are as hard as a rock and just as comfortable.  I couldn't justify spending a lot of time, energy and money and still have to spend more on mats. 

I am not afraid of epoxy.  I ave refinished the hull of a sailboat and the inside of a swimming pool with good results but for my shop, I wanted something a little more comfortable.  My final choice was a low priced laminate floating on a 2 mm thick foam pad installed without glue or nails.  Installed cost (my labor is free but the cost of Tylenol is added in) about $1.50 a square foot .  The first half of the job was a real bear over a three day period and then I got the hang of it.  The second half of it took about four hours.  I got the vinyl baseboard down in a few more hours.

Laminate floating on a high density foam pad may not be the first thin you would think of for a machine shop my machines are small, bench top machines and a 9x20 lathe.  I have no plans to buy anything bigger.  Too late to change course now.  Its done.  But if anyone can foresee a problem, speak up.  There may be a way to head it off.

First machine moved in today.  My very small HF Micro Mill is the only thing I can carry by myself and there was no help available today.  I also have a slightly larger HF Mini Mill but I can't carry it.  That will have to wait for my grandson of the big muscles tomorrow.  The lathe will come too. 

My second son-in-law is a mechanic/teacher.  For the last several years he has been a senior instructor at the BMW training center in Orlando has offered to give me some of his excess mechanics tool chests which I am going to pick up tomorrow.  I am not at all sure just what I will get but he told me to bring the big truck so there will be more than one.

Here is what it looks like now.  More pictures when I get it all in.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 01:49:48 AM »
Nice!

I did the same kind of floor in my shop, has held up well overall, moving chair around with swarf present chews up the finish gloss, but its a SHOP, not a living room. Very comfy to stand on, easy on tools when dropped. May not be enough for a three thousand pound commercial lathe, but fine for home stuff.

Oh, and which corner will my bench be in...  :Jester:

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 02:28:20 AM »
Thanks Crueby.  Funny you should ask about your bench.  There will be a visitors corner, complete with two upholstered bench seats, a table for two, a coffee pot, and cookies.  It will occupy the corner that I am standing in when I took the above picture.  Visitors are always welcome as long as they like dogs and the dogs like them.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 03:02:41 AM »
Thanks Crueby.  Funny you should ask about your bench.  There will be a visitors corner, complete with two upholstered bench seats, a table for two, a coffee pot, and cookies.  It will occupy the corner that I am standing in when I took the above picture.  Visitors are always welcome as long as they like dogs and the dogs like them.

Jerry

Also makes a nice place to sit and admire your day's work too! Great setup.

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 05:05:06 AM »
Wow !! That will be a amazing shop and more !
  Well done...looking forward to see the filled shop.
Never assume the implied task has been completed !!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2016, 08:08:12 AM »
Looking good  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I've used that type of flooring in industrial control rooms and it stands up to the abuse very well.
Best regards

Roger

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 02:29:01 PM »
I used a laminate flooring, Mohawk brand, on my office/library floor. After  less than a year it started to open some of the seams. Now after nearly 10 years its a mess of open seam. I have talked to several flooring people and I think the problem is that on three sides of the room we have very heavy, loaded bookcases and a big desk. These heavy objects prevent the floor from floating as it should and it results in open seams in the center.

It may partly be because the Mohawk brand was poor quality.

The floor now looks awful and we are going to have to replace it, if I can ever face the job of moving many hundred books- both my wife and I are avid book collectors. We each have more that 100 running feet of solid packed books.

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 01:37:38 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Ron.  I guess the floor just can't float under that load of books.  Was that floor laid on a concrete slab or over a wood sub-floor?  I have said to myself that if this doesn't work out, it will be easy to tear up. I don't have that many books and my machines are relatively small.

Here are the tool boxes given to me by my son-in-law.  On the left is actually a bench.  The top of the bench measures 27" x 52" and is 1.8" thick made from 19 layer plywood.  The base is heavy gauge welded steel.  BMW brought it from Germany and he got it when their shops in Orlando were renovated a few years ago.  The rolling cart is a later vintage Craftsman unit.  Nice stuff that I am glad to have.

My grandson came by and helped me move the rest of my machines in.  The 9x20 lathe is the one job that I really needed his help with. I probably could have handled the mill by myself with a lot of planning but he picked it up in the storage shed and walked the 100 feet to rhw shop and said "Where do yo want it?"  The lathe made the 100 foot trip in the bed of a truck.

This is the initial arrangement.  It may change slightly with use.  All of the bench tops are 29" high and I do all that I can while sitting on my rolling chair.  Any thing that requires standing such as soldering will be done on the 35" high BMW bench.

Most of my tooling is still boxed up in the shed.  Before I can do anything productive, each of the machines will have to be stripped, inspected and adjusted.  I see a little rust on some of the surfaces.  Oh! And there is no power yet except for a long extension cord run from the garage.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 02:19:55 AM »
That looks really good, Jerry :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

I suspect you will find it a real pleasure to work in such a nice environment.

Cheers, Joe

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 01:42:12 AM »
My last shop was a little 5'x12' in one end of an aluminum shed with bare stud walls and roof.  A disorganized jumble with a good place for nothing but I could be productive because I new where everything was.  Then I boxed it up in a hurry, with more thought to protecting it than to organizing it.

Now I have a shop with room for everything but everything is in a jumble of boxes and tubs.  It is going to take longer than I thought it would.  Part of the problem is that I didn't take the opportunity to get rid of a lot of unnecessary crap and now I have to go through it again.  Oh well, it will get done.  Slowly.

Some of it is enjoyable.  I have rediscovered some projects that were put aside for some reason, and that now I might be able to revive. I have a lot of choices.  I never did get the Encabulator running as well as I thought it should.

Jerry
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 02:37:51 AM by Captain Jerry »
NOTARY SOJAK

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal