Author Topic: 5C collet chuck  (Read 3505 times)

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
5C collet chuck
« on: February 07, 2016, 10:16:38 AM »
Hi everybody, a bit late, I know, but I would like to to show what Santa Claus has thrown though the chimney.
It is the Chinese clone of the German Deckel S0 tool and cutter grinder, purchased at an Dutch supplier. (That´s global, isnt it ?)
I have purchased a set, together with a metric 5C collet set from 1 to 30 mm, 30 pieces.
During my membership here in this forum, I have seen a lot of the other members, working on the lathe with a 5C collet chuck.
The free view to the work piece and the cutting tools, was an issue what makes me thinking "I do need this too".
So the set of collets been in house, I bought a Chinese 5C collet chuck for nearly EUR 150,00, made a flange and checked the run out.
The product information said max 0,015 mm run out.
Mounted at my self made flange and measured at the tapper, we have a bit more than 0,01 mm run out.
Together with a collet and measured at a clamped 10 mm cutter as a work piece, I can see 0,025 mm as a max run out.
I can live with this, it is all low cost Chinese hobby equipment and no industrial stuff like a Bison or Röhm chuck.
In the meantime, some more little bits for the Snow engine are made and I am very happy with the new equipment.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
Re: 5C collet chuck
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 11:33:24 AM »
Nice. Two new toys.

Vince

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 12:52:07 PM »
Congrats!

I've been interested in a collet chuck too. Someday.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 01:10:39 PM »
Nice acquisitions  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: So I will have to pop over to Munich to get my cutters sharpened now  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 02:22:50 PM »
Nice acquisitions  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: So I will have to pop over to Munich to get my cutters sharpened now  :)

Roger, I will have an appointment next week with somebody who knows how to use it. So hopefully I will learn something.
So strongly recommend to wait some time, otherwise your cutters are grind up to the bar end but now sharp flutes visible.
I think it will be a longer way to understand all these cutter secrets.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 02:33:47 PM »
Great acquisitions Achim!  :ThumbsUp:
A collet chuck is one of those model engineers shop essentials. For all those fiddly bits...  :Lol:
I think we all are very interested in the tool and cutter grinder. So hopefully, when you gain some experience with it, we hope to hear some more about it.

Online kvom

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 02:45:11 PM »
Not only is a collet chuck a great addition to a lathe, but collet blocks increase the flexibility of the same collets.  I found by Sjogren chuck at a garage sale of all places. 

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 03:47:01 PM »
Congratulations Achim!  Those are some nice tools :)

I love my 5C collet chuck.  That's what's on my lathe 90% of the time.

I look forward to hearing how you like the Deckel.  I'm sure as you learn to use it you'll get a lot of use out of it.
Kim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 04:37:16 PM »
Congrats Achim on you acquisitions, you will enjoy them. The cutter grinder is identical to mine just the color is different. I have a stone on mine but I see a cup that looks to be diamond coated on yours. You will like it for sharpinging your tools.
Oh by the way you may have to calibrate the dials, well I had to on mine so check the degree scales.

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 04:51:16 PM »
Santa did well by your this year Achim!!  Some very nice additions to your shop for sure.

Bill

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 06:42:21 PM »
Vince, Carl, Roger, Yogi, Kvom, Kim, Don and Bill thanks for checking in.
As soon as  I will get some experience with the tool and cutter grinder I will let you all know.
Kind Regards
Achim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal