Author Topic: Gearing up  (Read 12112 times)

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
Re: Gearing up
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2012, 09:26:41 PM »
 :Lol: Yeah Steve, apart from wanting to do one I figure a stand alone machine for the purpose is better than tying up the lathe - and it's not all that simple to get down to the 0.002 feed for the secondary wire with the 8tpi Myford lead screw. Lots of  :zap: to come!
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2012, 08:40:01 AM »
when I did my apprenticeship we had to do a year or so armature and stator winding

all we used for coils/transformers  was a dc motor with right angle gearbox fitter with a mechanical rev counter and controlled with a foot switch

we wound from very small to dc coils that were 70 pounds finished ( we did not count the turns on those but wound until we had used 70 pound of wire )

for the interleave insulation we uses Bronco toilet paper nice and thin very shiny  :facepalm:  with shellac for the varnish

small armatures were hand wound although we did have a machine for them it took longer to set up for a one off ( government job ) than to do it by hand

good luck Tel hope you can control the wire tension with your machine

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline tel

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2012, 09:03:32 AM »
Thanks Stuart, yeah, I think I have the wire tensioning under control (when I get that far) I've built a number of slow lathes for doing the bindings on fishing rods, a not dissimilar operation, only a lot less coils, and the tension on the binding thread was a bit critical with those as well.

I am (very) loosely basing this machine on Bob Shore's 'Sidewinder' only with a full, Myford style, change wheel set up - very much a matter of cut and try  but it all should work out OK.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2012, 03:43:03 PM »
OK ....so when are we seeing the rest of it?...... :thewhip:

:LittleDevil:
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline tel

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2012, 10:04:59 PM »
Early days yet Dave - another FBF here this morning (-8?C) so there will be no getting to the workshop until lunchtime, at least. Makes for very short days and frustrating lack of progress.  :old:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2012, 11:01:05 PM »
Tel I will be following you on this built. I have Bob Shores book and was contemplating on making one to wound ignition coils. I will be following with interest.

Don

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2012, 12:26:36 AM »
I have a friend who is a keen fisherman and makes his own rods etc.

He  asked me about a winder for rod bindings

After a bit of thought, I obtained a second hand sewing machine and with the removal of the unwanted bits I got it to the point where a 3 jaw chuck was fitted to the head. A  long piece of water pipe with adjustable steadies was added to support the rod.

The foot control gave him fully variable speed for winding and both hands free for controlling the bindings.

He is very happy with the result

I have never wound an electric motor so I don't know if this idea has any merit in that environment.

Just maybe food for thought.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline tel

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2012, 02:53:10 AM »
I based mine on windscreen wiper motors Bob, with an additional external gear reduction - with the two speeds on these things I think, from memory, the output was 35 and 25 rpm - plenty slow enough for good hand control. I've still got one here - I'll have to find it out and dust it off ....

Thanks Don - don't plan on blow by blow coverage of this - just the occasional update as I get the various bits done.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal