Author Topic: RLE questions!  (Read 30178 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: RLE questions!
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2016, 07:59:40 AM »
Nice engines Andy

John, Thinking back to using Oilite bearings just be aware of the fact they are designed to be pressed into a suitable hole so as they come are slightly larger in both OD and ID with the intention that the pressing in will bring them down to size. IF you are using separate bearing caps and PGMS you may have slight play, I think the engines that I have used them on all had turned cranks.

On the ignition, if you do use flanged oilite ones you could let the one opposite the timing gears extend beyond the bearing housing say 6mm which would give you a spigot to mount an easily adjustable bracket for the hall sensor so you can advance & retard the timing then a simple disc to carry the magnet can go on the crank retained by a grubscrew. My Hoglet and the fabricated engien I showed earlier use this sort of arrangement.

J

PS I may know where there is a Gardener for sale, PM me if interested.

You can see the clamp that carried the hall sensor on teh front of teh hoglet

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2016, 08:02:39 AM »
 :headscratch: Another unfinished Hoglet. Or is it the same one  :lolb:

I think it should join my orphanage  :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2016, 09:14:02 AM »

I think it should join my orphanage  :)
Jo

It might feel a bit outnumbered with all those engines you have started and not completed let alone the orphans :LittleDevil:

Offline Manorfarmdenton

• Fearnley Contract Services
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2016, 10:06:41 AM »
Andy, your RLE runs sweetly and it has a real 'snap' to it.  I don't think having higher compression is a bad thing at all?  I think its important, like yours, to fire every time the exhaust valve closes, as both my Red Wings do.  It just doesn't sound right to me when there are two or three gasps then a bang after the periods of free-wheeling!

Jason, the reason I'm considering oilite bushes is because the Red Wings - my only other model IC engine experience - have them.  In the Red Wing the caps are bolted down and the holes reamed to nominal size then the bushes are sat in place and the caps squeezed back down, holding them tight.  Possible this reduces the bore a touch?  I seem to remember having to ream the bores with a 1/22 reamer after fitting, and there isn't any noticeable play using a 1/2 silver steel built-up crank.  Excellent suggestion re. the timing arrangement - thanks.  As usual I'm more than impressed with the workmanship in your Hoglet!  How many engines have you built?  I'll never achieve that sort of standard, but muddling along with my bits and pieces keeps me out of mischief.  :)

Kind regards, John.
John Fearnley

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2016, 10:37:21 AM »
How many engines have you built?

The real question should be how many engines do you still have and didn't have to give back to their owners :mischief:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2016, 11:58:47 AM »
Hello John.

Many thanks for your photos, good progress.

Re, " Oilite " bushes.

May I add some comments based upon my own experience? We used the services of HPC Gears for a couple of our kits, the little book was a mine of information they also carried a huge range of bushes.
To save time I bought some for making the small end bearings, back then I also offered fully built option.

I discovered, quite quickly that they didn't last very long, particularly as our engines were being run 8 hours a day at the many engine rallies we attended during the summer months. They didn't like the constant pounding and seemed to spread themselves open. I also tried them as big end shells, same problem.

Much later on I made a set of Zinc alloy bearings ( mains and big end ) for my Gardner they have really lasted. And look in keeping, as Gardner's started using " Babbit " in the early 19 0 period.

Oh, don't forget that the Anson are selling the Gardner kit!

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline Mathew28

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2016, 01:28:27 PM »
How many engines have you made Graham?
Nil Carborundum illegitimi

Offline Manorfarmdenton

• Fearnley Contract Services
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2016, 02:08:42 PM »
Graham,  I have to agree that oilite bushes aren't very heavy duty.   I wasn't considering using them in the con rod because of the hammering they would get, but thought they would be ok as mains.  Zinc alloy shells would be a lot more in keeping though - is bar stock available to a novice like me?  I'll look at my usual source for bits and pieces - ebay.

As built my Red Wings start well and run beautifully for short periods, but wouldn't stand up to running 8 hours a day for long because the ignition pick-up would wear out!  I really do need to alter them to magnetic switch.  Can I or can I not use the Hall sensor to switch the trembler coil already fitted?

I didn't realise the Gardner kit was available.  Thanks for the information - I'll look there too.

John.
John Fearnley

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2016, 02:39:20 PM »
How many engines have you made Graham?

Hello Mathew.

Welcome to MEM.

To be honest I've lost count! However I'm fairly confident it's over 50, was into double figures with the Gardner alone!!

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2016, 02:54:47 PM »
Hello John.

Die casting......

Using Zinc alloy it's almost a kitchen gas hob affair. ;)

Attached is a photo of, top, I F Allman governor yoke mould. Bottom left Mk 2 Gardner big end half, with chucking stub and a failed casting due to ejection pin being inserted too far. Bottom right Mk 1 big end half, showing that you need to think of how you're going to hold the pair after making the die!! ;)   The die was made as just one half so two castings are required and then it's a simple matter of lathe work to finish.

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2016, 04:27:52 PM »
John if you look back through Dave Otto's Pacific Vapour Engine build he did a very good write up on white metalling the main bearings.

Graham, talking of IF Almman, any progress?

List to follow

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2016, 04:49:01 PM »
So what have I made

Stuart 10V
Stuart Beam
Anthony Mount Rectiliner - abandoned due to too many sand inclusions in the castings
Minnie 1" traction engine
That fabricated hit & miss I posted earlier based on the "06" design
2" Fowler A7 traction engine, still needs a bit of plumbing and painting.
1.5x Benson Vertical
Hoglet almost done
1/5th IHC Famous vertical screen cooled
1/2 scale Domestic Stovepipe
2x Easton and Anderson grasshopper beam
1/3rd scale Galloway 5hp with scratch built hand cart
Firefly 0.46cu.in glow engine
1/3rd scale Baker Ball hopper Monitor
2x Cameron Steam pump
Nemett NE15OT opposed twin 4 stroke based on Nemett cylinder/head design
1/2 scale Gade
Two 5cc glow & diesel engines
2/3rd scale Tidman organ engine from my own drawings
30% larger Jowitt popet valve engine (current project finished this weekend with luck)

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2016, 06:28:36 PM »
Hello John.

I have just been re reading through the posts and noticed your trembler coil question.

My working career was in the EE area with a fairly good education in basic electronics. The mechanical/foundry side was for the most part self taught but with some great mentoring, I had the privilege of some education from B. Terry Aspin the author of the Backyard Foundry and Foundry work for the amateur and a wonderful man named Alex Rouse who had been a toolmaker at Rolls Royce aero engine before starting his own precision engineering business in Wrexham.

You wont be able to directly drive your trembler coil from a hall sensor but I may have a very simple solution to your burning your contact maker. Try a 0.1 microfarad @ 400 V capacitor across the maker points it will help absorb the BEMF ( Back Electro Motive Force )  spike, a bit like the capacitor or old fashioned term condenser in an old school car ignition system.
Are you using a proper trembler box?  Like the early Ford model " T " ?  If you are, you might also be using far too many volts to drive it.... 12 V perhaps ?   ;)

I can fully explain, if anyone is interested!!

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2016, 06:46:47 PM »
I'd be interested.

I use a 6v sealed battery for buzz coils

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtte8UXowUo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtte8UXowUo</a>

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2016, 07:26:15 PM »
Thanks Jason!!   ;)

The Trembler coil was used on the early Ford model " T " it was electrically driven by..... not a battery but another set of induction coils ( four ) that were set around the four cylinder engine flywheel. The flywheel carried a permanent magnet that induced a current in the respective pickup coil that was in series with the trembler coil for the correct cylinder. By rotating the pickup coil assembly a crude but effective ignition advance/retard was achieved.

This systems voltage was dependant on the engines RPM but was not that high. The original trembler boxes should work on voltages as low as 2 V DC ( from a single cell Lead acid battery ) or accumulator as they were known. The HT comes from a secondary coil of many turns that overlaps the low voltage primary winding. In fact they were more a current dependant system than a voltage but you can't push current without volts they go hand in hand.

We made many a trembler box from redundant flywheel magneto coils but I'm not sure if the modern electronic ones will work.

As I'm wrapping this up I suddenly realised we're full circle, most modern Petrol/Gasoline car engines use four coils and a pickup system just like the model " T " !!  But....... nowhere as easy to fix if they go wrong!!   ;)

Kind regards, Graham.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal