Author Topic: RLE questions!  (Read 30162 times)

Offline Manorfarmdenton

• Fearnley Contract Services
Re: RLE questions!
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2018, 10:07:28 AM »
I just posted a cry for help in the 'machines' section of 'help' asking for advice on buying a better mill.  Jason, I know a lot my problem is ability, but I'm sure the rest is down to having crap machinery - isn't it?  I'll NEVER be capable of making tiny parts to the standard that you turn them out!  Do you spend ages filing and sanding (in which case my problem is patience!) or do the parts look so perfect from the word go? 

Oh well, back to this morning's challenge - trying to get 1mm split pins to look vaguely central in the 2.5 mm governor weight retaining pins on the RLE, using the mill in the photo.  It dosn't help that the quill has at least a 2.5mm wobble..........
John Fearnley

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2018, 01:17:15 PM »
Well some on here would have you believe that the far eastern machines that I use are also Crap :noidea:

Apart from a bit of emery wrapped around a file to take the odd machine marks out of flat surfaces off the mill the rest is just as it comes off the machines.

If you can find an ex industrial machine that is in good condition then I'm sure they may well work for you but it's that sorting through all the crap ones that takes the time.

Offline Manorfarmdenton

« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2018, 02:29:31 PM »
So do you think its better to buy a new far eastern mill - I've looked at Warco - rather than a secondhand one like a Bridgeport providing obviously I could find one that wasn't too badly worn?

I was tempted by the Excel ETM 2VS manual turret mill a couple of years ago, but its now £8Kish for a new one, which is more than I want to give for what is essentially a hobby machine.   

I feel a bit guilty about whingeing about my old mill - it developed a horrible wobble when I broke the long endmill the other day, but this morning before drilling the 1mm holes in the 2.5mm pins I knocked the collet chuck down and retightened it with the pull stud and got rid of nearly all the wobble.  The holes went exactly through the centre of the pins with no major dramas, although using a 1mm drill bit is a bit stressful.  The other day I was drilling 2" holes in a bit of 1" flat and it was a lot less hassle!

John.
John Fearnley

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2018, 04:20:35 PM »
Well some on here would have you believe that the far eastern machines that I use are also Crap :noidea:

You get what you pay for don't expect industrial quality at a knock down price  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Manorfarmdenton

« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2018, 07:48:13 PM »
I'd be very happy to produce items with the accuracy that Jason achieves if his photos are anything to go by!

I suppose I should admit I'm a bodger and stick to agricultural stuff, but I like to keep trying.  I have built a lot of things in the workshop - the biggest muck spreader bodies in the world at the time, self-propelled sprayers and spreaders, a 6x4 truck with tipping body for our son, etc - but only recently have turned my hand (with varying success) to tiny things.

John.

John Fearnley

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #125 on: February 18, 2018, 08:53:19 AM »
I'd be very happy to produce items with the accuracy that Jason achieves if his photos are anything to go by!

A bad workman blames his tools, a experienced person can normally achieve a task even with bad tools. 

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Manorfarmdenton

« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2018, 05:06:08 PM »
<<A bad workman blames his tools, a experienced person can normally achieve a task even with bad tools.>>

And there's me thinking I'd done quite well to get 1mm holes through the middle of 2.5mm pins using a 74 year-old mill with a wobbly spindle!  Wash my mouth out!

John.
John Fearnley

Online Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2018, 02:08:47 PM »
Hello All.

It's Alan's funeral tomorrow afternoon, the family have been looking through the photos to celebrate his colourful life.

Typically some of mine surfaced, engines, engines and yet more engines.... I found this one quite pertinent to the recent carburettor discussion....

In the foreground is number 103, quite distinct is the high mounted lubricator and the equally high mounted carburettor and " Baccy tin " fuel tank. To the rear, probably a contract?? But showing the evolution.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Manorfarmdenton

« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2018, 08:17:33 PM »
Graham - I have just been looking at the drawings I have of your carb, and the A4 one entitled 'Carb & Components 300 series' dated 29:9:88 shows the one in question.  The drawing doesn't show a dip pipe though.  Is there one extending from the non-return valve to near the bottom of the tank, or isn't it necessary?

John.
John Fearnley

Online Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2018, 11:42:49 AM »
Good morning John.

No, not really.

For most builders who may well run their engines occasionally as long as there’s fuel over the valve assembly it’ll work.

When I was doing the rally circuits my engines ran all day, water boiled hopper/tanks were topped up as necessary. My Gardner was on its third set of piston rings before I switched to Viton!

One thing I found was that my engines doing so many hours running those with “ Brasses “ for bearings actually wore down the crankshaft journals. I put it down to insufficient lubrication. Those that ran directly into the cast Iron never wore at all.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Manorfarmdenton

« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2018, 05:39:18 PM »
Hello Graham,

Thanks for that.  I know you said once before that bronze bushes in the mains weren't necessary, and I don't doubt that for a moment.  I just included them for cosmetic reasons, and probably won't run the engine for long periods.  My long-suffering Red Wings get started umpteen times to show people, but seldom run for more than a few minutes at a time.  They have never been taken to rallies or any public event like yours do.

Thinking about the carb while I've been doing other things, I've wondered whether the jet block assembly could be made a little longer so it utilised a little more of the fuel in the tank?  I suppose actually a short dip pipe would have the same effect, and when the fuel level dropped below the point the engine wanted to suck it from, it would just stop running anyway.  As drawn the jet block extends about 1" into the tank, give or take the thickness of the lid, does it not?  I suppose a bit of 100mm copper tube, which is what I'm thinking of making the tank from, would actually contain around 188ml of fuel in the top inch!  That ought to be enough to show off quite a lot!  :)

John.
John Fearnley

Offline Manorfarmdenton

« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2018, 11:04:22 PM »
Now I'm really going to show my ignorance!  In the drawing of the non-return valve at the bottom of the carb the ball is labelled a 1/8" d. P.B. Ball.  What's a P.B.Ball?  Just an ordinary stainless ball?  Google says its a peanut butter ball, but I think that's a bit soft for this application.  :)

John.
John Fearnley

Offline rick41

« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2018, 01:19:59 AM »
Perhaps Phosphor Bronze?  Just a guess!
Rick

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2018, 07:35:22 AM »
Yes it is a bronze ball but stainless will do I have used them on several fuel non return valves

Offline Manorfarmdenton

« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2018, 09:23:05 AM »
Of course its phosphor bronze!  Stupid of me, although I didn't know such a thing existed.  Tractor king pins sometimes have a ring of individual normal ones to act as a thrust bearing so I've got bigger stainless ones in stock.

I've probably got small stainless ones too but I wonder whether PB would be lighter - presumably that's why they are specified.  It would obviously seal as well and might let the fuel through with less suction.  I'll see if Google knows about the relative densities.  Not worth a lot of trouble though if Jason says stainless is fine.

John.
John Fearnley

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal