Author Topic: Cretors Vertical Castings and Plans  (Read 1601 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Cretors Vertical Castings and Plans
« on: February 24, 2018, 03:04:34 PM »
So as not to further hijack tinkerer's thread on the Cretors vertical, I am adding this separately. Had a closer look at the casting and plans this morning so just a few comments.

The plans are on two large sheets with parts shown full size and seem to be ok at first glance though there is no drawing for the base plate in the plans though there is nothing critical about it really. The engine frame bolts to the top of it in two places and those holes will both fall on a common diameter line, so its up to the builder to decide the offset from center so as to make the entire engine as centered as possible on the base. Not a real problem.

I have noted a couple of differences from the picture shown on the Myer's website though (photo 1). In the picture it shows a circular crank disk, whereas on the plans (and in the casting provided, (see photo 2) this is an elongated crank arm. I may use a disk rather than the casting as I think it just looks better and could be decorated a bit as shown in the photo. Even the elongated arm was originally specified as a bras casting (photo 2 again) but aluminum is supplied. The rod end (photo 3) is also different on the plans vs. the photo. Will have to decide which way to go there eventually.

Looking at the castings themselves the parting lines are aligned and not bad at all. Most seem to be of generous enough size to allow for machining with the exception of the cylinder casting. The diameter of both ends is already at or just a few thousandths below the 1.75" diameter called for. The other thing noted was that there is a good bit of porosity on one side of this casting vs. the other as shown in photos 4 & 5. No way to machine this out given the already on size diameter of the casting but since it will likely be painted a little filling with JB Weld should cover this cosmetic defect. 

The website picture seems to show brass cylinder caps, again rather than the aluminum supplied. While the castings are generous enough in size to machine, one might opt to replace these with brass or bronze cylinder heads and leave them unpainted to contrast with the painted cylinder.

All in all, I am happy with the castings and plans. Like tinkerer said, a cast brass flywheel would be a nice addition for weight and appearance but the aluminum one will do just as it did on the 1/4 scale Rider Ericsson model.

I am looking forward to tinkerer starting on his build as I don't intend to start this one immediately, but maybe these comments will help others considering the model.

The last picture is the same as I posted last night on his thread just to show the casting as supplied.

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Cretors Vertical Castings and Plans
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 04:43:44 AM »
Looks like you've got another fun project lined up, Bill.
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 01:04:21 PM »
I've got too many projects lined up Kim  :embarassed:  Even though this one isn't a direct copy of the original Cretors vertical (nor is the horizontal for that matter), I have found the history or them and the company fascinating. I would love to have a restored popcorn wagon to display at our annual old engine festival, but that is out of the question  :o

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 01:52:17 PM »
I've got too many projects lined up Kim  :embarassed:

:headscratch:

There is no such thing as too many  :hellno: Careful saying such things you will begin to sound like my ex  :lolb:

Bill you need enough casting sets to last your life time: So far I only have 23 years worth of casting sets for model engines :disappointed: But I suppose there may be other things in life than making model engines  :noidea:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal