Author Topic: A small cochran boiler  (Read 47647 times)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: A small cochran boiler
« Reply #165 on: November 02, 2017, 01:54:53 AM »
Just an incredible job on this Florian!

I love the picture of the simulated coals you have in there. That is a stunning picture!
Is that the kind of rock that you'd find in a gas grill?

Kim

Those last two pictures were actually running on coal, not simulated! Very nicely done!

Sure enough! Now that I re-read Florian's post, he says exactly that!   I just remembered the "test run on gas" part and completely missed the "first test using real coal" part!  That's even more amazing  :ThumbsUp:
Kim

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #166 on: November 02, 2017, 07:36:42 PM »
Wow.   :o

Great work, Florian!  Your boiler could easily be on display in a museum.  :praise2: :NotWorthy:

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #167 on: November 02, 2017, 08:11:02 PM »
Thanks guys! I am definitely flattered by your praises! But you will have to reduce your expectation a bit for the next project, because this boiler was also meant to be a piece of art!
What I am talking about is that you will not have to expect any bad workmanship in the future but that I will probably keep things a bit simpler or will go a bit less into details like I did with this boiler. My next projects are more about tools and equipment (like a knurl milling tool for the lathe) and about completing a milling attachment for my lathe.
But first you will get some video footage of my cochran boiler! And I need to build a few wooden boxes - one will be for storing and transporting this boiler !

Regards Florian

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #168 on: November 02, 2017, 08:46:08 PM »
Hi Florian, a truly beautiful piece of art, and a demonstration of incredible craftsmanship.  It deserves a beautiful wooden case.  And great to see it completed after following closely the build process.

Of course, being me, I have been wondering if you allowed room for insulation around some of those fittings, but even I have to admit it would be a pity to cover it up.  And I am looking forward to seeing what engine you will choose to drive with it.

Also looking forward to those future projects, I am sure they will still be a master class for me.  So do keep up the excellent documentation.

Thank you

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #169 on: November 02, 2017, 11:57:20 PM »
Hi Florian,

A piece of art it surely is! Pity to have it sitting on a shelf, but all the same a pity to get it all covered in coal dust & water droplets.

On the knurling front must post up my new set

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #170 on: November 03, 2017, 01:29:44 AM »
Yes Florian....

Words fail to describe your work.......this is a snap of your image below....is this water that has condensed from the atmosphere on the  valve handle & flange during the steam up?

Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #171 on: November 03, 2017, 06:18:36 AM »
Hi Derek

No, that water came from the exhaust steam. The Hose I used to connect the steam engine to the exhaust blower was not very tight and spit out this water from the steam engine.
The small size of the boiler delievers pretty wet steam and thats What you can See there.

Florian

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2018, 06:23:24 AM »
Florian -

your skill and attention to detail in this project have resulted in a truly beautiful piece of engineering.

Congratulations!  :cheers:

Did you ever make the video though? I have searched but can't find it anywhere.

All the Best,

gary

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2018, 08:11:31 PM »
Hi Gary

Thank you! It was a pretty long journey and I even wasn't happy with some things I did at the beginning of the build later on. But I guess this is something you have to deal with if you are building over a longer period of time.
The video hasn't been made yet though. The reason is that I never really heated it up for a longer session since then. I'll need to do this as soon as i can - but at the moment i am way too distracted by the good wheather  ;)

Florian

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2018, 08:19:12 PM »
Hi Florian,

It's a great boiler that you built and something to be proud of  :)

How well does it run on coal?  I have a vertical fire tube boiler of a similar size but find mine struggles on coal  :( 

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #175 on: July 19, 2018, 09:06:17 PM »
Hey Peter

Well it runs pretty good actually. What I experienced up to now is that you have to focus on all details and react fast because the small amount of water results in a pretty quick reacting boiler. That may also come because I am using anthracite to fire it which is anything but easy to handle.
But once you get to know it good enough, you can ceep the pressure pretty good and constant.

Florian

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #176 on: July 19, 2018, 09:34:00 PM »

The video hasn't been made yet though. The reason is that I never really heated it up for a longer session since then. I'll need to do this as soon as i can - but at the moment i am way too distracted by the good wheather  ;)

Florian
Well, I look forward to seeing it in due course, but for now you are quite right - enjoy the sun!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal