Author Topic: A small cochran boiler  (Read 48548 times)

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
Re: A small cochran boiler
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2016, 07:43:42 AM »
Hi Florian, great work as always. What kind of fixture is used there to keep the grate in the four jaw chuck ? I have seen it already in an earlier picture on your bench, but could not understand the function.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2016, 08:40:28 PM »
So. Let me try if it works this evening:

Achim, that fixture you mention is simply a faced piece of aluminium, with some small grooves added.
The workpieces are held by superglue.

This kind of clamping fixture is very handy for thin and flat parts that are not easy to clamp.
Some advantages of it are:
- you can machine thin parts without any chattering
- its possible to machine the full length of a workpiece with no clamping possibility from the inside
- you can machine away the fixture - as it is just a piece of aluminium, it won't bother you. All you have to do is face turn it again for the next use (if at all)

The only thing to keep in mind is that you face turn the fixture when it has been out of the chuck.

Florian (to be continued with some progress on my cochran build)

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2016, 09:10:16 PM »
It does work - thats fine.

I had the whole report written and already pushed the "post" button. Then I immediatley thought I might better copy all the stuff I had written as the website was not responding immediately. 
All fine until then.
But the mistake after that was that I copied something somwhere else and when I noticed the server was definitely not responding, I had only a small passage of a text I had written for somwhere else.  :Mad: Half an hour just gone for nothing  :facepalm:

Well - I hope I do it better tonight:
After quite a long break(7 weeks) , I started again with the cochran boiler. The firedoor will have a flange around the fire door that carries the hinge and the latch. To find out what shape I had "created" when making the fire hole tube, I first made a paper ring to see if the dimensions were in about right.
The easiest way would have been do machine that ring out from a piece of brass tube with a wall thickness of 4mm. But I did not have any brass tube like that.
So what - I decided to bend it from a piece of flat stock.
If you want to bend 4mm thick flat material, you need some kind of a fixture because just using the hammer wouldn't really work like it does with 1mm brass sheet.
I decided to make a die, you can see how I machined the hollow part of it (Using my new clamps!)
The convex part of the die is a round piece of aluminium machined to 60mm. Then I annealed the piece of brass and pre-bent it cold. Naturally there was quite some springback and I will have to bend again. For the second step of bending, I decided to bend the brass when it is hot. So I heated it up to cherry red and put it in the die. This turned out well, you can see that the vise has been released again and the die is still closed
I used the convex part of the die clamped in the vise as a superglue chuck to machine the ring. The ring shape is by the way generated by different radii. That makes it possible to machine that shape on the rotary table.
Then I positioned the vise to the right place on the rotary table, using the bore in the center of the part to relocate the center of the ring (and also to move the workpiece so the radius center was right on the center of the rotary table). The X-direction could be made by moving the part in the vise, the y direction was realised by moving the vise along the 124 blocks.
Then the outline is completed, the opening just startet with one radius done.
Not long and it looked like what you can see on the left picture at the bottom.
I am really happy with the result, which is by the way the second attempt. The first one went wrong on the second radius which I somehow machined too small. I have now Idea how exactly that could happen, but I was really pissed off - especially because I though that I would have to remake the convex die too. Luckily it was not so and then I acutally was quite the second time.
The ring only required very few sanding with a small dremel sanding drum to fit it to the boiler. I really like how it turned out (though it is not finished yet...).

Cheers Florian
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 06:13:21 PM by Florian Eberhard »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2016, 10:14:11 PM »
Very nice part Florian.

And thanks for posting your process. Educational.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2016, 12:15:56 AM »
Great to see an update Florian. Beautiful work as always.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2016, 01:08:11 AM »
Florian that is some beautiful work and well thought out......... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2016, 11:07:31 AM »
Hello Everybody

Yeah i know, once more it has been a while since my last post. And the reason is not that there was no progress. I was simply too lazy to write something in here!  :embarassed:

So at the moment, I guess you can be happy that there is a moment when I am NOT too lazy to write  ;D:

After i finished the shape of the firehole ring, I started with the door. I first copied the inside shape of the ring onto an already bent piece of 1mm brass.
I then marked an offset of 5mm (I think) and roughly cut out the door using a cutting disk.
The outline was shaped using a file and comparing it to the shape of the ring. Then I immediately had the Idea that the ring was too strong and kind of looked not like it should. I then decided to machine off 1mm of the ring by using the fixture which already helped machining the ring. Once more, I used instant glue to fix the ring to the piece of aluminium.
Then I machined the ring on the lathe using the powerfeed on the lowest feed rate available (in order to keep cutting forces low). Now that is much better than before.
The fixed part of the firedoor hinge will be made from two pieces. The ohter art of the hinge is also soldered together and then cut into stripes. Those stripes got their riveting holes drilled on the milling machine. After that, they were copied to the door.
The latch itself is a one-piece part machined from  square brass. The mounting flange was made using my boring head.
Then I machined the rest of its shape in different settings (but only by tilting the part in the vice)

To be continued right away..:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 06:25:07 PM by Florian Eberhard »

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2016, 11:27:08 AM »
On the first picture, you can see the latch put together with the rest of the firedoor.
A lever had to be designed and made. I first machined the outside using a small piece of aluminium and two M2 allen screws for the setup.
After milling part of the shape, I filed the rest and I got a lever. But - actually I wasn't really pleased by how the lever had turned out. In the meantime, I also made a hub for the lever (which is also going to carry the heat shield of the door). So I could test the lever for the first tme and I had to find out that it was too short. Well this lead to the decision to make another one
Same setup as for the first one but with a different Idea of how to make it. And it is looking much better. The shape is also a lot more pleasant looking (in my opinion at least)
I also made a heat shield from a piece of 1mm stainless steel sheet to keep the door cool (still to be proven that it works though  ;D )
The door also needs a **thing** (I don't know how to call this in english - its that piece of bent sheet metal which is around the door lever and limits its way as well as holds it close to the door).
I decided to try out something and made a die and a punch to form the **thing**
Finally, the firedoor is complete. I made a small wooden handle out of boxwood and riveted the **thing** to the firedoor
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 06:37:12 PM by Florian Eberhard »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2016, 11:49:42 AM »
Thank looks the part  :)

The door also needs a ***** (I don't know how to call this in english - its that piece of bent sheet metal which is around the door lever and limits its way as well as holds it close to the door).
I decided to try out something and made a die and a punch to form the *****.

"Baffle plate "

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2016, 12:45:59 PM »
Hey Jo
Thanks so far - but I am somehow bemused by the name,

That thing I marked red is actually called baffle plate? (when searching for pictures of a "baffle plate" with google, then it shows everything else than this...)

Florian

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2016, 01:05:54 PM »
I'd call that a "staple".  The baffle is your stainless steel plate on the inside of the door that has an air gap between it and the door and acts as a radiation shield.  Lovely work by the way.

Cheers,

Rod

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2016, 03:18:06 PM »
Hi Florian, a really lovely work, as mentioned by Rod already.
Kind Regards
Achim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2016, 03:45:44 PM »
I agree with Achim and Rod; lovely work!
You put so much time and care into those small door pieces.  The door being curved in two dimensions makes all of the parts very difficult to machine. But you came up with ways to do it all.  Thanks for sharing your process. Very fascinating.
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2016, 04:31:10 PM »
Beautiful Florian...glad to see an update on this one!!

Bill

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2016, 05:02:03 PM »
Hi Florian,

I've got to agree with the others, it's an impressive piece of work and something to be proud of.

Any idea when it will be fully completed ?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal