Supporting > Boilers

A small cochran boiler

<< < (2/36) > >>

Roger B:
Hi Florian, glad to see you back in the workshop  :ThumbsUp: I'll be following along  :wine1:

10KPete:
A most interesting boiler design. I'd not seen it before your post so had to go 'look it up'.

Keep it coming, I will be right here following along! 

:cheers:

Pete

Florian Eberhard:
Hello Again

Thanks for the comments, the special design of that  boiler is what made it that interesting for me!
Back to boilermaking:
The next part was that ring I suppose Kerrin means whith "Ogee" Ring. It starts as a copper sheet disk as shown on the first picture. The round piece of brass is just used to clamp it as close to the edge as possible. On the second picture, you can see it while annealing it. It looks almost finished but the progress is always getting smaller.
After I finished forming, I did cut a hole into the ring to fit it onto a piece of tube. That tube is going to be part of the firebox.
Then the test if it still fits the boiler shell.
After that, I started cutting the openings into the boiler shell where the firetube plates are going to be located. As I was just using hand tools to work on the shell, I started by drilling lots of small holes. Then I made two cuts with the hacksaw to remove that piece of the shell. To get that opening into its shape, I used some files and again the hacksaw to complete it.
The top of the firebox will be a spherical copper dome that I found at an austrian onlineshop.

Cheers Florian

zeeprogrammer:
Following along Florian.
This is very interesting.

b.lindsey:
Very different and interesting design Florian. I am watching with interest. Nice work thus far on it too!

Bill

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version