Author Topic: Retirement Lathe  (Read 25180 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Retirement Lathe
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2016, 03:36:35 AM »
I have the long bed sherline. Makes it much easier for drilling and reaming operations. Add up length of chuck, part being machined, drill bit or reasmer, jacobs chuck, and tailstock. It adds up fast.

Available with metric dials.

No thread dial, threading adapter does not use motor but a hand crank connected to headstock and geared to feedscrew.

Sherline has all thierr instructions online for all parts, well worth checking out ahead of time.

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2016, 12:15:44 PM »
Mine is the long bed (24") as well. It is good for"parking" stuff and also as has been said, for drilling and reaming. I added a cheapie dro that works just fine for my purposes.

I got mine as the "C" package that includes the threading adapter and compound and some other goodies.

I do have to say that although I consider the package a tad over priced, it surprises me with it's accuracy every time I use it and I would buy another one. Something like a Cowells is likely superior, but finding one in Canada would be like looking for an honest politition.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2016, 12:36:57 PM »
I have the short bed, but if I buy another one I would go with the long bed too. More tail room for drills, reamers, etc. as noted.

Bill

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2016, 01:27:40 PM »
Since this thread seems to have gravitated to the Sherline, I do have a question. Does anyone that uses this machine use the riser blocks? I only ask 'cause in using the 4 jaw chuck, I have found that the outer ends of the jaws can very quickly contact the bed. A wee bit more room in this area would be good.

Cheers

Tom

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2016, 01:53:53 PM »
Since this thread seems to have gravitated to the Sherline, I do have a question. Does anyone that uses this machine use the riser blocks? I only ask 'cause in using the 4 jaw chuck, I have found that the outer ends of the jaws can very quickly contact the bed. A wee bit more room in this area would be good.

Cheers

Tom

Same opinion here - too bad that they did not design it with a gap bed. Reversing the jaws give reach for larger stock, but then there is just that short step to grab the stock with.  I do use the riser blocks when needed, have the riser for the head and tailstocks, plus needed taller toolpost. The riser block also comes in handy on the mill, giving longer reach out from the column. Never had any issues with that, riser block very solid, keys in for alignment.

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2016, 03:40:39 PM »
Thanks Crueby, exactly what I wanted to know.

Tom

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2016, 05:52:25 PM »
I purchased a used Sherline "machine shop" last summer. The main reason was to obtain the lathe for CNC conversion. It's working but still need to add threading. Haven't used it enough to give definitive opinion but it seems useful. Small and requires light cuts, but useful.

After converting the lathe I no longer need the threading attachment or compound. If anyone is thinking of getting, or has, a Sherline lathe I will be selling these attachments. Please let me know if you are interested.

Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2016, 06:09:15 PM »
I purchased a used Sherline "machine shop" last summer. The main reason was to obtain the lathe for CNC conversion. It's working but still need to add threading. Haven't used it enough to give definitive opinion but it seems useful. Small and requires light cuts, but useful.

After converting the lathe I no longer need the threading attachment or compound. If anyone is thinking of getting, or has, a Sherline lathe I will be selling these attachments. Please let me know if you are interested.

Thanks.

Hugh

PM Sent
Dave

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2016, 12:53:43 AM »
I was in the shop this afternoon. Pulled the three jaw off my big lathe and set it on the new tool cart/Sherline bench. It was such a contrast I had to take a picture and share.

The three jaw is an 8". They weigh about the same though the 3 jaw may have the edge.

Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2016, 01:11:12 AM »
I do not have the riser block for my lathe but should get one, it would substantially increase the diameter capabilities. Need to look into that. The mill could use the newer extended column as well for more headroom. Just have to get a bit creative at times.

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2016, 01:20:17 AM »
I do not have the riser block for my lathe but should get one, it would substantially increase the diameter capabilities. Need to look into that. The mill could use the newer extended column as well for more headroom. Just have to get a bit creative at times.

Bill
The riser block is also handy on the mill, gives longer reach over bigger parts on the table. The extended column is a huge difference when using rotary table and chuck for drilling. Standard column runs out of hieght way too quick.

Offline smithdoor

• https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/southbendlathe9/info
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2016, 04:09:39 PM »
if your married look in a roll top desk or computer desk for the 80's both will hide the lathe when not in use.
Size the lathe to fit the desk and put casters on the desk so no one can see the casters
You may need a drill or mill too fit in desk note:
IF you need draws try this simple build
http://www.rockler.com/floor-mounted-drawer-slides-with-metal-sides
look you need tooling from your tools be selling  your tooling hard to come later

Good luck 
Dave

I am considering moving to a retirement apartment and consolidating my shop. The SouthBend and the Derbyshire lathes would go.
The F2 would go leaving the F1 for tiny milling operations.
The 10" SouthBend is too large, though it is in perfect condition and fully kitted with accessories. The dearly loved high precision Derbyshire doesn't do everything I want. Do I make a power traversing feed for it? They exist but are not to be found.

So, what is there in lathes?
Benchtop in size, probably 4" swing, power traverse, quickchange gear box. High precision.
I think Sherline is out because of it's aluminum wiggly construction.
What about Cowells? Are they sold in the US? Will they do the job?
Mosey   :noidea:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 04:16:45 PM by smithdoor »

Offline tlpriebe

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2016, 04:51:45 PM »
Have you considered the Proxxon PD 400?  Excellent quality, built in Germany, and priced around
$3300.00.  I bought mine about a year ago and have been very happy with it.  A bit larger than the
Sherline (which I also have), but higher quality than the Chinese machines.  One negative, you do need a transformer,
but that is a minimal expense.

Here's a link if interested:
http://www.hardwaresales.com/proxxon-24400-pd-400-220-volt-micromat-system-mini-engine-lathe.html

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2016, 06:30:24 PM »
I know this is an old thread...but I just found it and thought of this machine, it would be about perfect I think:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/tos/index.html

One sold on US ebay a while back

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2016, 06:53:00 AM »
I just read back through this thread. Lots of great info.

So anyway, Mosey, did you ever move into that retirement home and set up a small shop?  It's got to be hard to go down in size after having some nice larger equipment. I would think a person would have to come to a whole different mindset.

The funny thing is............I think I'd have to make some adjustments in how I do things if I went to larger equipment from my Sherlines!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal