Author Topic: Retirement Lathe  (Read 25201 times)

Online sco

Re: Retirement Lathe
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2017, 01:25:45 PM »
I just re-read this thread. Much of it rings true to the thoughts I'm having. I'll start a thread on that soon.

But no-one mentioned the Wabeco lathe. It looks like a nice small lathe and, judging by the price, should be exceptionally nice. Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks.

Hugh

I have the Wabeco D2000 - it arrives setup and ready for use with no clean-up necessary and has a 5 year warranty.  Mechanically they are good - slides all smooth and precise, but they have cut corners electrically - I am on my third motor and have a Wabeco mill where I'm on my second motor - all replaced under warranty but still annoying.

Simon,
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 01:42:30 PM by sco »
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #76 on: June 25, 2017, 08:29:47 PM »
Paul, this is in reply to your request for a comparison. At the outset let me say that I am not sure a side by side comparison is really that meaningful. These are two different machines. As I had said earlier in this thread, the Sherline lathe is a small workhorse as long as you work within its size capabilities. Mine is going on 20 years of service and still going strong. I have replaced the 3 jaw chuck and upgraded the tailstock, but other than that it is all original. The Sherline has electronic variable speed, the Cowell's does not. Screw cutting on the Sherline is a rather convoluted arrangement whereas on the Cowells it is already there via the change gear set, but only in metric pitches. The Cowells does have auto traverse in the long axis and this is variable also via change gears....the Sherline does not have this other than the one speed (and non reversible) add on accessory that I rarely use.  Sherline is available in both metric and imperial versions, Cowells is metric only. I would say the power of each is comparable.

Bottom line, the Sherline is a solid mass produced machine with LOTS of available accessories and more reasonably priced. The Cowells is a handmade and beautifully made machine and a joy to use, though I continue to use the Sherline as well. Keep in mind also that for the price of a Cowells 90ME lathe with necessary but minimal options, you can fit out a Sherline with every accessory you are likely to ever need.

Now that I have added the DRO to the Cowells, I will be using it more and more, but not exclusively. The Sherline is quick to set up, still accurate, and if it goes kaput I would order another one in a skinny minute. Either machine is more than capable of doing what we as modelers ask of them.

Bill

Offline paul gough

• Tropical Queensland, Australia
« Reply #77 on: June 25, 2017, 11:54:19 PM »
Thanks Bill for your remarks on the two lathes, the physical differences and pricing is clear enough. A users report was a point I was very interested in and noted your remark about the Sherline being "...quick to set up". I was thinking along the lines that for chucking the Sherline would be fine and the Cowells for collet work, not exclusively perhaps but as a most of the time arrangement. My work will mostly involve the small components of Gauge 1 locos and comparable things. As my medicos have warned me off high speed rotating equipment, i.e. machine tools, I thought I would compromise and settle on micro machines as they are not likely to rip parts off ones anatomy though I accept that they could inflict a nasty cut or two. To live one must take a little risk. One thing that maybe you could clarify is how compatible are the lathes accessories, I understand that the nose thread is different, but had heard that the morse taper in the tailstock were dimensioned differently. Any further comments by you, or anyone, would be appreciated. Regards Paul Gough.

Offline paul gough

« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2017, 12:20:53 AM »
Hugh, I had investigated these fairly thoroughly, and came to the conclusion that the 2000 was best for my purposes, light accurate work. But having tracked down a number of Wabeco owners who said the electrics in Wabecos were definitely a major failing, see also SCOs comments. There is a bit of discussion regarding the failings of the 4000 on the Model engineer forum, <http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=115245>. I read that the American importer had been looking for an alternative for the 1.4kw motor but was unable to source one small enough to fit the lathe. I have no information relating to the bigger lathe or its 2kw motor. It seems German engineering is not what it once was. To have to think about alternative drives after paying a reasonably high premium price seems a bit much, the only other possibility in this size/quality/price might be the Ceriani lathe and mill, but I know nothing of them. Like Wabeco, there is no back up for Ceriani here in Australia, the Wabeco importer is nothing more than a website as far as I can ascertain. At least you can handle both at Pro Machine Tools in the U.K. Regards Paul Gough.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2017, 01:16:53 AM »
Paul, although both the Cowells and Sherline state that their tailstock taper is  #0 Morse, the tailstock accessories are NOT interchangeable. The Sherline live center and tailstock drill chuck for example are to large to fit into the tailstock of the Cowells. The same fittings from Cowells are too small to fit into the Sherline tailstock. If I recall, Jo said something about this a good while back...something to the effect that Cowells uses the small end of the Morse 0 taper spec. while Sherline uses the larger end.

Bill

Offline John Hill

• Playing in my shed at Ashburton, New Zealand.
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2017, 01:23:15 AM »
I have a Sherline here which I almost never use but I notice a previous owner has made a selection of tailstock quills,  one with integral centre, another with a drill chuck and a third as yet not machined to do anything.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2017, 02:24:20 AM »
Paul, although both the Cowells and Sherline state that their tailstock taper is  #0 Morse, the tailstock accessories are NOT interchangeable. The Sherline live center and tailstock drill chuck for example are to large to fit into the tailstock of the Cowells. The same fittings from Cowells are too small to fit into the Sherline tailstock. If I recall, Jo said something about this a good while back...something to the effect that Cowells uses the small end of the Morse 0 taper spec. while Sherline uses the larger end.

Bill
Yes - I have bought some Morse-0 accessories elsewhere, and had to saw off the small end of the taper, since Sherline only uses the large end. Tougher to add the small end on to a Sherline part for the Cowells though!

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2017, 04:54:01 AM »
Paul & Simon:

Thanks for the feedback. It would not seem right to pay that much for a lathe and have trouble with the motor, or any other part. Just can't get good stuff anymore.

Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline paul gough

« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2017, 06:26:24 AM »
Thanks Bill, John, Chris for the comments and information, your help  will lead to a rather considered approach to the  selection of accessories and so try to avoid unnecessary and costly  duplications. Regards, Paul Gough.

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2017, 05:27:53 PM »
Mosey,
I might be interested in the F1 or 2.

Any pricing on this stuff?

Paul

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal