Author Topic: Retirement Lathe  (Read 24853 times)

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
Retirement Lathe
« on: January 17, 2016, 07:49:27 PM »
I am considering moving to a retirement apartment and consolidating my shop. The SouthBend and the Derbyshire lathes would go.
The F2 would go leaving the F1 for tiny milling operations.
The 10" SouthBend is too large, though it is in perfect condition and fully kitted with accessories. The dearly loved high precision Derbyshire doesn't do everything I want. Do I make a power traversing feed for it? They exist but are not to be found.

So, what is there in lathes?
Benchtop in size, probably 4" swing, power traverse, quickchange gear box. High precision.
I think Sherline is out because of it's aluminum wiggly construction.
What about Cowells? Are they sold in the US? Will they do the job?
Mosey   :noidea:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Retirement Lathe
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 08:03:29 PM »
Mosey, as long as you aren't trying to make heavy hogging cuts and can live with the size, don't count the Sherline out. You can order a Cowells and they can wire it for US voltage as well, but the leadscrews are metric and no option there that I know of. Depending on exchange rates you are looking at $4,000 or so and not that well kitted out.

Bill

Offline kuhncw

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 08:59:26 PM »
Mosey, I second what Bill said about Sherline.

There is nothing wiggly about a Sherline lathe as it has all the rigidity it needs to use all the power it has available.

Please let us know how you set up your new shop.  A lot of us have that in our future.

Chuck

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester UK (where the lathes were made)
    • Bill's website
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 09:02:13 PM »

Online gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 02:53:41 AM »
I have a Taig lathe. With milling attachment. I thread using pattern/follower or with a die.

With a DC 110v motor there is more than enough torque to mill .1 wide x .1 deep in steel using a .375 milling cutter.

As Rudy Kouhoupt found out with his Unimat DB, there is a lot that can be done with a small lathe, and without a change gear box.

Lots of examples of the Taig in action:
http://hobbies.psgv.ca/machining/taig-my-new-lathe/
http://cartertools.blogspot.ca/, look in particular for posts by Monty Remon, his threading solution is simple and effective.
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

I am now in a house with lots of space, but still happy with my Taig.
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline Hans

• Commonwealth of Kentucky, USA
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 02:36:40 PM »
Mosey,

Another option would be the Hobbymat MD65/Prazi SD300 5"X12" lathe. Those in the US were made in Germany. (Some sold in Europe are made in the Czech Republic) It does not have a quick change gearbox, but it does have a permanent gear box with replaceable change gears for threading. It also has power feed.

You would have to find a used one. I assume that the US distributor went out of business as users have reported that they do not respond to inquiries. Parts and accessories are equally challenging, though as with just about everything...it has a dedicated following and Yahoo user group where parts can be found...and there are sources in the UK.

~Hans

Offline Hans

• Commonwealth of Kentucky, USA
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 02:46:03 PM »
Haighton Cadet?

wktodd.webspace.virginmedia.com/cadet/page14.html

:-)

Bill,

What a lovely little full-featured lathe. I would snap that up if I lived in the UK. Finding lathes here in the US like the Adept, Flexispeed, Perris etc is nigh unto impossible.

~Hans

Offline Mosey

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 08:21:00 PM »
I think I know why no one suggested a Schaublin or Habegger. I'm thinking. I know that the handwheels on my Sherline rotary table are pure junk.
I have lots of time, so am considering all of these ideas carefully.
Mosey

Offline ICEpeter

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 08:45:38 PM »
Mosey,
Would you also consider a Myford Super 7 lathe in your evaluation?

Peter J.

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 07:09:04 AM »
I would consider one of the Little Machine Shop HiTorque mini-lathes, such as this for $1250:
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=5200&category=

Or their 8.5"x20" for $1800:
http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3540&category=

You might be able to have them bring one to next year's Cabin Fever and you can save shipping and maybe get a discount as well. They were passing out cards for 15% off for exhibitors, but good only on Sunday. They seem like good people and probably will stand by their products in terms of warranty and service.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 07:40:21 AM »
What is wrong with the Derbyshire?

You won't find power cross feed or a quick change gearbox on a small lathe. Unless you find a one off lathe that a toolmaker has made for themselves.

Jo
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 07:44:55 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Mosey

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 12:52:01 PM »
The Derbyshire is fine except for the lack of gearbox and power feeds. I could make that, as they did exist in some instances, but too much work. It does have the precision and feel I appreciate, and accepts both 3C and WW collets, of which I have a full set. Has a new motor with VFR. I can order new feed screw nuts from the factory. Hmmmm? It's a cute little bugger.
Better give it some thought.

The Little Machine Shop Mini and others like it might be OK, I'd have to visit one and play to see how it feels.
Mosey

Offline Nerdz

• CT, USA
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 01:54:04 AM »
I would personally go with a Grizzly G4000 If you have the space. Its also 250 Lbs, but its only $1000 and comes with a ton of stuff. I personally have A Micromark 7x16 Lathe. Its OK for what it does as long as you dont take cuts that are too deep and you keep the saddle screws tight. I would have gone with a Grizzly had I known about them at the time (ie G0765 or G0768).
-Chris

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 02:08:59 AM »
Gee wiz Mosey, I thought you were going to build you a shop. Are you serious about this buddy and truly down sizing everything? Good luck in what ever you do my friend and I hope you find what you want.

Don

Offline Mosey

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 02:37:54 AM »
Don,
I am serious about moving to a retirement apartment with a small shop area. I still will have machines but tiny ones are all I think I can manage. Might set up a shop for all of the the retirement community guys. Anyhow, I expect to have a small lathe, maybe 4". Looking into making the Derbyshire do the job, as it's abeauty. Otherwise, maybe one of the Siegs, Sherlines, etc.that all have full kits of goodies, threading, feeds, etc. Looking into a screwcutting feed for the Derby. It comes to all of us with age, even you, lol.
Mosey

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal