Author Topic: Retlas  (Read 89875 times)

Offline AOG

Re: Retlas
« Reply #240 on: February 15, 2017, 05:41:52 PM »
While not specifically a water pump how about the Stuart oil pump jack?

http://www.stuartmodels.com/item/53/oil-field-pump-unmachined

Tony

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2017, 06:34:44 PM »
You might have a word with Maury on here

http://www.lonestarengineworks.com/aeromotor_engine.html

I also have most of the drawings for a really nice one that does not need castings, give me a couple of hours and I'll post photos.

I too will need to make one to go with my small Monitor VJ engine.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #242 on: February 15, 2017, 07:48:13 PM »
Could you be tempted by a Myers 3" pump :naughty:

Uses fast n loose pullys

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #243 on: February 16, 2017, 12:33:39 AM »
Tom Alexander (Iowa Miniature Engines) used to sell a pump jack kit as well as Joe Tochtrop but I think both of them may be out of business though. According to The Davis Model engine suppliers page Joe is out of business. Not sure about Tom. I will ask around. As indicated Maury might know is someone out there is selling pump jack kits. I will ask Max where he got the castings for his pump; I'm thinking that it was from Tom Alexander.

http://www.antiquengines.com/Davis_Model_Suppliers_List_.htm

Nice looking pump Jason! One other option is there was a Fuller Johnson pump jack and engine that was all fabricated featured in Strictly IC magazine; I will have to do some digging to find which issues it was in.

Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #244 on: February 16, 2017, 07:39:15 AM »
The Fuller Pump is in SIC mag-page: 20-21, 22-11, 23-11, 24-26, 25-5.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #245 on: February 16, 2017, 09:38:33 AM »
Hello Andy.

Lovely!!

I noticed in the video that the gas valve sometimes gets pecked at more than once, is the lever catching the spring collet? You might need to move it up a little?

Regarding water treatment that's something I have never really worried about. The only engine that clogged up was the Akroyd, in fact not the engine but the Steel plumbing! An alternative might be to try
" Cathodic protection " using a piece of pure Zinc suspended in the water tank. This was used in marine applications as the saltwater eroded the metal and plated the inner surfaces, might take a lot more time in ordinary water though.

I would suggest a Dynamo for the Retlas as they provide a constant load condition. Vincent designed one,
a " Manchester " style, using the armature from a Lucas 12 volt car dynamo. Hmmm, that's going to be a rare beast, I don't remember selling many kits, I haven't even got a photo of one.

I'm looking forward to seeing the engine painted.

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #246 on: February 16, 2017, 10:25:07 AM »
Morning Graham, good to hear from you. When I travelled to Wrexham and collected my Alyn Foundry RLE castings my friend who accompanied me that day bought dynamo castings off you. I don't know what happened to the castings, he passed away years ago so I expect they were wasted. I have often thought about using an old Lucas dynamo to have a go at recreating that 'Manchester Style' dynamo. The foundry I told you about would do the castings if I made up the patterns.
Yes the lever does catch the collet occasionally so I need to make some adjustment.

Andy
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 10:25:41 AM by Chipmaster »

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #247 on: February 16, 2017, 10:59:54 AM »
Hi Tony thanks for suggesting the Stuart oil well pump which I had forgotten, can't recall seeing one other than in pictures. It would probably look great with this particular engine if it was in a larger scale. When I'm ready I might get one to go with my Alyn Foundry RLE engine.

Andy

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #248 on: February 16, 2017, 12:26:39 PM »
Morning Graham, good to hear from you. When I travelled to Wrexham and collected my Alyn Foundry RLE castings my friend who accompanied that day me bought dynamo castings off you. I don't know what happened to the castings, he passed away hears ago so I expect they were wasted. I have often thought about using an old Lucas dynamo to have a go at recreating that 'Manchester Style' dynamo. The foundry I told you about would do the castings if I made up the patterns.
Yes the lever does catch the collet occasionally so I need to make some adjustment.

Andy

Hi Andy.

Well...... I have the " Amended " patterns here, I re did the main bearing ones into split form.

The only problem I see is that the armature we used would now be at a premium price as they were being phased out in the late " 60's " classic car premium!

An idea might be to use an armature from a washing machine, some models were fitted with a permanent magnet stator, large vacuum cleaner motor? The output voltage would be a lot higher obviously but what the actual value might be is unknown.

Food for thought.

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #249 on: February 16, 2017, 08:52:00 PM »
Hi Graham, yes please.
Reckon it's worth having a go with one of these armatures being offered on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130824-12-VOLT-12V-22-AMP-LUCAS-C40-DYNAMO-ARMATURE-UW100-UWB102-227271-26212754-/281815295225?hash=item419d8024f9:g:-GYAAOSwj85YL0Hf
These folk in Solihull have a range of armatures for C40 dynamos, can you recall whether a specific armature was required?

I only saw the 'Manchester' dynamo castings when my late friend Ted bought a set when we called at Tuttle Street in Wrexham to buy my RLE castings from you. That may be 20 years ago, I vaguely remember a rectangular base, perhaps two bearing caps and I think there were plans.

This afternoon I remembered that I made up a dynamo using the heater motor from a Ford Sierra and 3 aluminium castings bought at a model engineering show in Wembley. The Sierra motor is quite capable of producing over twelve volts when driven by a cordless drill. I had intended to drive it with my model Gardner 0 type but the engine didn't take to it.
I attach some pictures of it, Naturally  I did get a much higher voltage driving the dynamo belted up to the flywheel but it made the engine difficult to start.

P1060168 by Andy, on Flickr

P1060167 by Andy, on Flickr

P1060163 by Andy, on Flickr

Here's a video of my Gardner 0 Type driving the dynamo at a very low speed..
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yO7v-WRNCg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yO7v-WRNCg</a>

Andy

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #250 on: February 27, 2017, 06:58:09 PM »
Hi Andy and All.

Some interesting photos arrived today....   ;)

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #251 on: February 27, 2017, 07:52:41 PM »
Thanks very much for adding those pictures Graham, I'll study the Retlas picture carefully.

I've been running my Retlas for lengthy periods to bed it in, it was so noisy that I had to finish machining an Alyn Foundry cast iron exhaust pot and connect it. The result is terrific, reduced the exhaust to a quiet chuffing sound.
My engine is rather sensitive to the incoming gas pressure so I tried it out with a little demand valve that I made to J E Howell's design. The demand valve has transformed the engine making it easy to start every time and it runs for at least an hour without missing a beat.
Running my Retlas for an hour throws a fair amount of oil about because I've been generous with setting the drip feed oilers at this stage. Because of the mess I started work making a sump for it this afternoon.
Andy
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 08:45:50 PM by Chipmaster »

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #252 on: February 28, 2017, 02:21:41 PM »
Hi Andy.

That Retlas kit was sold and built within the last 10 years, as was the Black Retlas dynamo.

The Green one was photographed some time ago, builder/owner unknown.

It reads like you have " tamed the beast " I'm looking forward to seeing it in the " flesh " so to speak.

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #253 on: February 28, 2017, 05:24:46 PM »
Very nice dynamos ...  :ThumbsUp:   Reminiscent of a Mather & Platt  I once knew.

Are they 3-brush? Can't quite see.

Dave

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #254 on: February 28, 2017, 06:00:20 PM »
OK Graham I'll have to bring it up to show you when it has been painted and properly set up.
Mike C called in this afternoon to see the Retlas  running and to try out his Garretson demand valve on my engine - it ran just the same as with my home made valve. However, the Hall Effect sensor of my Minimag ignition system packed up, rather annoying as it has only lasted for about ten hours use. I was able to substitute a sensor from old RHC system that has different coloured wires but after some trial and error wiring set ups I got the engine running again.

I like the compact Minimag system but they charge £15 for a replacement Hall Effect Sensor kit, perhaps I was unlucky but I'm now looking for a cheaper source in case that happens again. The blown sensor is marked  451S OGL. As the Minimag system operates on two AA batteries I assume I need a sensor that is rated for a range starting at around 3V.

Looking on-line I see RS sell a Honeywell SS460S Sensor 'switching current 20 mA supply voltage 3 → 24 V dc' for £0.65
and another Honeywell SS49E-F 'current 1.5 mA supply voltage 2.7 → 6.5 V dc' for £2.48.

Can anybody interpret what make and model the defective sensor marked 451s OGL is and suggest a source (preferably UK) or advise me whether the choice of sensor is critical?

Thanks

Andy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal