Author Topic: anybody use Arduino?  (Read 10069 times)

Offline mikemill

Re: anybody use Arduino?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 12:02:23 PM »
Zee

Thanks for your advice, but as you know all things are easy when you understand them,
For instance I am familiar with CNC and GCode and can write lines for the controller, but as your recent posts regarding choice of mill and CNC you are confused because you don’t understand it.
Now the roles are reversed, I look at a tutorial site and the first line they quote
# gcc –o < output name>  < your-source.c>
but what does it mean? I am not asking you to teach me programming just to make the point that you have to understand before you can do anything.

Mike

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 12:18:23 PM »
I don't use Arduino, did have a bit of a nibble ages ago but found the IDE pretty abstruse and clumsy .. so, slung it.

Years ago I started on pics with 16F84's and the EPE [?] Toolkit2, using Assembler, did OK but no on-board ADC on 16F84 ...

Eventually via Picaxe [ too many limits  :thinking: ] went back to pics with Microchip HTC.

Now on MikroC 'cos I got a free Dongle given to me.  [ The trial download is full-fat but limited to 2k compiled words which seems a lot but doesn't go far with floating point etc.] Dongle unlocks Compiler & costs about £120 IIRC  RS ???

Download for MikroC PIC compiler:

http://www.mikroe.com/mikroc/pic/

MikroC has a free book here:

http://www.mikroe.com/products/view/285/book-pic-microcontrollers-programming-in-c/

Which won't help you much for Arduino ...  :stir:

Dave

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 12:46:41 PM by Bluechip »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 01:13:04 PM »
but as you know all things are easy when you understand them,

Quite right. One of my favorite phrases is "you forget what you didn't know".

As I was advised on my cnc thread (and as Paul mentioned)...you have to jump in.
Slow and frustrating at first...but soon you'll be saying the same phrase  ;D
No doubt you had the same experience with g-code.

P.S. the '#gcc' isn't programming. It's calling a tool (a compiler) to convert source code into object code. Said object code would then be linked (by another tool) to create a program. (I know you didn't ask for that.  ;D )
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 07:00:19 PM »
It would be difficult for me to recommend a tutorial because I already know all the basics of C and most of the more advanced stuff. The link I provided on the history of C is actually part of a tutorial, so you might start there.

An Arduino board with a prototyping "shield" is inexpensive, and perhaps a good place to start. But you can also get a simulator for the Arduino that allows you to create "virtual circuits" and then you can run simple code that blinks an LED or responds to a switch. Here is a list of what's available and pros and cons of each. I haven't used any of them so you're on your own there, but some are free downloads and others seem reasonably priced:
http://www.smashingrobotics.com/arduino-simulators-lineup-start-developing-without-real-board/

As you can see, there is a simple "sketch" that is mostly just comments, and the code consists of only a few basic commands. The screen shot above is for one of the more advanced simulators, but it has a free download for the basic version that should get you started. Feel free to ask any questions, especially as you are first "learning the ropes". There may be some concepts that might seem difficult to grasp, but once you get past those hurdles, your learning and proficiency should proceed quickly.

Good luck, and have fun!

Offline Andy

• Hitchin, Herts, Uk
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 09:43:37 PM »
Hi Kev
Not sure if you have looked at the youtube videos by Jeremy Blum.
He starts off with a getting to know the arduino and progresses to bigger sketches.
Probably worth a watch.
 <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCxzA9_kg6s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCxzA9_kg6s</a>

Offline Holt

• Denmark
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 09:49:50 PM »
Regarding Chinese clones, I got this starter kit, http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEWEST-RFID-Starter-Kit-for-Arduino-UNO-R3-Upgraded-version-Learning-Suite-With-Retail-Box/32240688714.html haven't used it much, but so far, it have done everything I asked it to do.

Holt

Offline kev

• Portsmouth UK
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 10:22:06 PM »
Have been looking at a few sites, all seems pretty easy. I downloaded the "compiler" and the examples say it all really as a starting point. I have ended up buying these :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301775891662?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=600591877568&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and three of these nanos for embeded aplications

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141709475640?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Coupled with a hand full of solinoids and some hall effect devices im ready to start playing :)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2016, 10:45:27 PM »
kev - If I can be of any help, my email is listed in my profile.

Holt - I took a look at your link. Hm...a remote control included. What are you doing with the kit?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline kev

• Portsmouth UK
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 11:07:54 PM »
Many thanks Carl but its looking more and more straight forward now im getting further into it all.

Offline mikemill

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2016, 10:09:43 AM »
Paul

Thanks for your recommendations and input, it must be over 18 months since I gave up on the Arduino there seems to be a lot more beginner help on the web now.
I have just started a new project a Gauge 1 4-6-0 Loco, when I have completed the  engine will have another attempt at programming?

Mike

Offline Holt

• Denmark
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2016, 02:24:01 PM »
Holt - I took a look at your link. Hm...a remote control included. What are you doing with the kit?

I'm not doing much, I bought the kit to see if it could interest my youngest kid, we made some of the test setups shown on a website, can't remember wich. I might use it for a dividing head setup at a later point.

Holt

PS: I got the Texas Instruments MSP430 for my touchdro setup

Offline rythmnbls

• Weatherly, PA, US via Sydney NSW
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2016, 04:18:56 PM »
would love some advice, torn between a clone with all the bells and whistles starter pack or for a little more an original board only.

Might seem an odd subject but thinking of using one as an engine controller for timing and speed control with pulse width and frequency control of timing and dwell.

Hi Kev,

I used a UNO as a tachometer, temp guage and a PWM controller on an old gas turbine project.  I posted details on it on another forum... http://jetandturbineowners.proboards.com/thread/731/general-purpose-tachometer-temp-guage

Initially I used the UNO "as is" but then bought a dedicated ATmega328 chip and build the circuit shown in the link.

Hopefully it will give you some ideas.

Regards,

Steve.

Offline kev

• Portsmouth UK
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2016, 04:59:40 PM »
Many thanks Steve, as it happens I have just been reading up on the interupt functions and the timing functions :)

Offline michelko

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2017, 08:10:00 PM »
Hi,
Using an arduino mega with speeduino extension as ignition controler for my bugatti  engine.
Will use use it for injection in the future also

Regards michael

Offline Barneydog

• Just outside Leicester, United KIngdom
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2017, 08:53:19 AM »
Hi,
I have only bought one genuine Arduino board. All my others have been genuine Chinese clones! I have only had one board fail to programmed. The computer could see it but failed to programmed it every time it tried. This board now serves a better purpose as I use it to hold the pins square while they are soldered onto my homemade shields. I have had problems with the last four i bought when I used my laptop to program them and they failed. I tried them on my office computer and they work just fine. I have had no issues whatsoever with the Arduino IDE.

Julian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal