Author Topic: anybody use Arduino?  (Read 10075 times)

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
Re: anybody use Arduino?
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2017, 02:09:44 PM »
Some of the clones use either a non-Uno bootloader or a CH340 serial chip.
The Uno bootloader allows larger programs, otherwise the program fails to load if too large.
The CH340 is known for buffer overflows when pushed hard.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline dajt

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2017, 08:59:24 PM »
# gcc –o < output name>  < your-source.c>
but what does it mean? I am not asking you to teach me programming just to make the point that you have to understand before you can do anything.

Late to the party, I know.

If you can write gcode then you have a start with programming. I don't know gcode yet but I've seen enough to know it is a simple programming language. I'm pretty sure it even has loops so you can repeat things, and subroutines so you can do the same thing from different places.

Anyway, the above command is using a common convention for showing example commands where the things you choose are surrounded by <>. It seems to be assuming you're working on a linux system where the C compiler is already installed and ready to go. If you're using Windows you have to find and install a C compiler.

So <output name> is the name you want to give the executable file the compiler writes out and <your-source.c> is the source code file where you have saved your C code.

gcc -o myprogram myprogram.c would read the file myprogram.c and write the resulting executable program out to myprogram. You could then run your program by just typing myprogram.

All this is why I think it was so much easier to learn programming back in the days of the 8 bit home micros. You switched them on and 0.5 seconds later you had a BASIC interpreter waiting for you to type in a program.  :old:

Regards, David.

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2017, 04:55:25 AM »
If you are using a USB to serial converter to program the Arduino, it could be a fake FTDI chip:

http://hackaday.com/2014/10/22/watch-that-windows-update-ftdi-drivers-are-killing-fake-chips/

Now that Atmel has been bought by Microchip, you can get development tools for AVR devices there, and many of them are GNU open source:

http://www.atmel.com/tools/atmelavrtoolchainforwindows.aspx

However, the full Arduino IDE (Integrated Development Environment) is easier to use and has more extensive user support.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal