Author Topic: 4"Burrell single crank compound traction engine  (Read 64059 times)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
Re: 4"Burrell single crank compound traction engine
« Reply #165 on: June 18, 2017, 09:29:20 PM »
Hi All,         Well the boiler inspector came, did the cold inspection followed by the hydraulic,  all good.  He then went on another job in the area while I put things back together and lit a fire.  He was due back at 1pm......2pm fire roaring, good head of steam....no inspector :Mad: Apparently there was a hold up at the other job (as often happens) ....By 3-15pm I had run out of coal :facepalm2: and was having problems with BOTH boiler clacks. As a result I dropped the fire to stay safe. Cue for inspector to arrive :ShakeHead:  I need to fix another date for steam test.
 In the meantime I shall take it cold and unfinished to the Isaac Ball reunion at  Fylde Vintage and Farm show this weekend. It can sit alongside the real one that has occupied my time at work these last couple of years.

Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #166 on: July 24, 2017, 09:33:22 AM »
The last few jobs on the engine were "rushed" to meet the date for the Isaac Ball reunion. As a result we never got round to the final steam test and it was exhibited "cold". (see 1st pic, it's alongside ETHEL, the 12 ton Burrell I've been putting together these last couple of years.)
I have now fetched it back home, had another fight to get in the shed and back on the bench to finish it properly.
I am going to increase the pipe size connecting front and back tanks, also the injector feed. I was dissapointed to discover that when the drawing is followed the bottom of the water gauge is 13/16ths BELOW the firebox crown!! That also will be corrected.   Still having fun though :LickLips:    Terry

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #167 on: July 24, 2017, 10:15:06 AM »
Beautiful pictures.
Thomas

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #168 on: July 24, 2017, 01:16:04 PM »
Good to see it whitout any damaging back on the bench.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #169 on: August 23, 2017, 09:03:33 PM »
A little more progress.   Re-painted the belly tank as it was off the engine and made bigger connecting pipe for both tanks. Also enlarged the injector supply from the back tank. Boiler inspector didn't like malleable fittings on the steam take off so made new ones from solid.  I am now in the process of some traditional wood lagging. Boiler tins next.
Off to Grindley Brook Wharf this weekend with the caravan, so will spend Sunday at Onslow park Steam rally near Shrewsbury to visit some friends.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #170 on: August 24, 2017, 12:01:53 AM »
The paint looks very nice, Terry, as does the lagging.  It never ceases to amaze me, just how BIG this is!
Kim

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #171 on: September 01, 2017, 10:47:24 PM »
Hi,  Just on the off chance that there is someone out there who likes steam rollers I attach a photo that my boss took today. Me and the 12inch scale Burrell that I have been putting together for some time. It was our last steaming together.........it has been sold :'(           Terry

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #172 on: September 01, 2017, 11:35:57 PM »
Hi Terry

I like steam rollers.........as a child I was brought up in the coal bunker of an Aveling & Porter roller called "Billy Boy" which my dad restored back in the 60's
I bet you are gutted the Burrell has been sold, it looks superb.

Phil

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #173 on: September 02, 2017, 01:35:09 AM »
Hi,  Just on the off chance that there is someone out there who likes steam rollers I attach a photo that my boss took today. Me and the 12inch scale Burrell that I have been putting together for some time. It was our last steaming together.........it has been sold :'(           Terry

Absolutely beautiful!

Thomas
Thomas

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #174 on: September 02, 2017, 01:39:56 PM »
Cheers Guys,    Phil...it's going to a good home and will be rallied :)         Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #175 on: September 11, 2017, 05:39:18 PM »
Back to the 4 inch!  Not my favorite task...making the boiler lagging tins.  Off to visit a friend this week and borrow his rolls.(actually he has a BMW) ;)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #176 on: September 11, 2017, 09:09:54 PM »
Hi Terry,
Your sheet metal parts look good.  How did you cut them all?
Kim

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #177 on: September 11, 2017, 09:25:53 PM »
Hi Kim,       Scribed lines from paper patterns, then carefully jigsawed with a fine tooth blade. Cleaned up edges with a long file with tin clamped between two lengths of angle. Most edges are covered with brass banding anyway.

How soon will you be steaming?..................Terry

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #178 on: September 11, 2017, 10:33:09 PM »
Thanks for the detailed answer Terry.  Makes sense.
That's basically the way I'm doing it, but it looks so easy in your picture!  So I wanted to know if you had any secrets.  Other than lots of experience and practice!  :Lol:

How soon will you be steaming?
Oh, it'll be a long time for me.  I still have to make a boiler.  And since I've never done that before, it'll be yet anther learning curve for me.  But oh, what fun!  Right? :)
Kim

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #179 on: September 30, 2017, 10:33:15 AM »
Yes Kim, a lot of fun.....what a great hobby we have :agree:

Been busy so have only just rolled my boiler tins. Camera battery was flat :facepalm2: so no pics.  Next job is fitting them and then as good a paint job as I can manage.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal