Author Topic: 4"Burrell single crank compound traction engine  (Read 64053 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: 4"Burrell single crank compound traction engine
« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2017, 01:07:18 AM »
That's beautiful Terry you have to be pleased how it is coming together.

Dave                 

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #121 on: January 09, 2017, 03:17:54 AM »
Yes its Beautiful!!!!!!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #122 on: January 09, 2017, 03:20:07 AM »
Very impressive Terry. Just an amazing piece of equipment!!

Bill

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2017, 10:47:02 AM »
Looking really good Terry.  :ThumbsUp:

I keep getting an itch to start machining my cylinder blocks, but I won't be able to finish them until I've re-designed the valve gear, and hence the steam ports. However, I'm not looking forward at all to drilling any holes in the boiler.

How did you ensure alignment of the drill/tap? And what sort of drill, some people recommend a mag drill but they're "HOW MUCH" expensive!

Have you thought about the governor yet? I'm about to machine the bevel gears for same. According to my CAD model the governor pulley and mating crankshaft pulley are 3/16" out of alignment. I'm not sure whether to start hacking bits off the governor casting, or just live with it and use a crossed belt, as apparently the pulleys are out of alignment on the full size engine.  ::)

Andrew

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2017, 02:05:23 PM »
Looking really good Terry.  :ThumbsUp:

I keep getting an itch to start machining my cylinder blocks, but I won't be able to finish them until I've re-designed the valve gear, and hence the steam ports. However, I'm not looking forward at all to drilling any holes in the boiler.

How did you ensure alignment of the drill/tap? And what sort of drill, some people recommend a mag drill but they're "HOW MUCH" expensive!

Have you thought about the governor yet? I'm about to machine the bevel gears for same. According to my CAD model the governor pulley and mating crankshaft pulley are 3/16" out of alignment. I'm not sure whether to start hacking bits off the governor casting, or just live with it and use a crossed belt, as apparently the pulleys are out of alignment on the full size engine.  ::)

Andrew

At least on this side of the pond....you can rent mag base drills.....just sayin.   
Damned ijjit!

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #125 on: January 09, 2017, 09:12:01 PM »
Cheers Gents,

Dave,    the problem seems to be  with the hp valve rod so I will investigate further.

Andrew,    As this is a road loco I am not fitting a governor, that is reserved for my agricultural version which is no where near as advanced.
I have to admit the holes where drilled by eye !!!    I welded an extension bar to a tapping size drill and spotted thro. using a bush in the cylinder base holes. Standing on the bench I set the drill as near perpendicular as I could and braced my arms against owt that was near :facepalm2: Tapping was done with a 12" long chuck type tap wrench which was easy to hold in position with my left hand (braced again) and spin the tap with my right. The result is pretty good. There are a couple of pics. but they are on the laptop which is mis-behaving at present.

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2017, 11:46:46 AM »
Thanks Terry, useful to know it can be done by hand. The cheapest mag drill hire I could find was £125 for a week. I'm a slooooooow worker so I'd be looking at a monthly rate.  :(

Andrew

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2017, 02:07:50 PM »
Thanks Terry, useful to know it can be done by hand. The cheapest mag drill hire I could find was £125 for a week. I'm a slooooooow worker so I'd be looking at a monthly rate.  :(

Andrew

I can understand Andrew....$150 a week isn't cheap..they cost 10X that...!    ask about a 1 month rate..?     Never know till you ask.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2017, 02:45:33 PM »
Those pics off the laptop.............

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2017, 09:24:26 PM »
I've been busy recently but managed to get in the shed for a few "intensive" sessions.  The main activity being valve timing / setting. To make things easier I made a transparent valve so I could see all the ports. I set the forward eccentric but had to shim the reverse rod in order to set the reverse eccentric. With the expansion link as the drawing there was too much die slip. I made a longer one which sorted that out. I marked the eccentrics and removed them with the crank to cut the keyways, not wanting to rely on grub screws.
Next problem was that as yet the budget did not allow for a press for my keyway broaches. I had some wood though and cobbled one together.(see pic 2) It worked so well I am only going to replace the lower bit with some steel.
Some more bits were made and fitted. The reach rod had to be made in two bits due to limited space, but I could imagine it running soon :whoohoo:      I was so engrossed in progress that I totally forgot to use the camera enough.......apologies

Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2017, 08:11:31 PM »
Hello again, I've been continuing to progress of late and managed to get it to run on air...almost killed my small compressor!   It did about six revolutions but it was enough to confirm the valve setting. I have now set up for a  hydraulic test, so need to borrow the pump from work. After some head scratching I found a route for the drain cock control, so made and fitted that. The next bit will be fitting the blower assembly. I have also made a start on the motion covers but forgot to photograph them today. Will post next time.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2017, 09:12:58 PM »
Very nice looking Terry!

Sorry if this is a silly question, but what's the ratchet thingy that shows up in that last picture?
Kim

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #132 on: March 06, 2017, 10:23:41 PM »
Hi  Kim,     It's only silly if you DON'T ask!....... It's the oil pump. The ratchet wheel moves around a couple of clicks every time the valve rod moves back and forth and puts a bit of steam oil into the steam chest and hence into the cylinders.     Regards.....Terry

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #133 on: March 06, 2017, 11:26:02 PM »
Wow - simply beautiful work!

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2017, 09:47:31 PM »
One advantage of modelling in large scale is that on the odd occasion you can go "freestyle" ::)  I have decided to fit my road Burrell with a full canopy.  No drawings, just an awareness of construction and form in full size, then make it up as you go along....if it looks right, etc. I can hear the groans but it is nice to have a change from chasing thous. I can see the finished article in my mind ;) In the meantime I attach a few pics of progress on some fittings. The size of things allows me to stick weld.
The last picture is the set up I used to "adjust" the safety valve.                Terry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal