Author Topic: 4"Burrell single crank compound traction engine  (Read 64077 times)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
Re: 4"Burrell single crank compound traction engine
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2016, 09:11:23 PM »
More on the connecting rod.......the cobbled set up did not work (you all knew it wouldn't :ROFL:    When assembled the rod was not square to the crank. I arranged a more secure set-up and drilled for oversize fitted bolts.....made some new bolts and all is well again :ThumbsUp:     Terry

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2016, 09:19:26 PM »
I have been remiss :slap:

All of our other traction engine builds are in the Vehicles and Models directory. (Like my BB1  :Love: one ) I feared this would get lost amongst the other engine types so I have moved it into its correct location so interested people can find it ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2016, 09:33:52 PM »
Cheers Jo.
Some more old photos......As the Colchester was on it's last legs I bought this little Clark for the numerous small pins, etc.  I made most of the gear blanks and that was as far as I got with my agricultural engine. I had bought the boiler and most of the castings when fate intervened ::)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2016, 09:51:52 PM »
A much loved uncle passed away and kindly left me a little bit of money. Within a couple of days I saw an advert from someone selling a boiler, some castings, wheel components and a finished crank....I bought it :ShakeHead:  The boiler is a  1992 one made by Harry Holt and I decided to build this one first as a "road loco". The smokebox and perch bracket that I had already made were fitted along with slightly different hornplates. I machined another set of hubs and rivetted another set of wheels which were then sent away for rubbering.    The Colchester had gone, replaced by  the Atlas pictured in my garden workshop thread. This gave me a little more room. Not many pics were taken during this but I will put on a few.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2016, 08:48:06 AM »
And I thought I was a silly fool for doing three Stuart Triples at the same time  ;D

Jo

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2016, 10:35:29 AM »
Hi Jo,      "Jadge" on this forum is also  building TWO Burrells, but he is clever enough to make a pair concurrently.  I am hoping to make all my cock ups on the first one and hopefully do the second one properly. My two are different models, I'm not sure that I could cope with three all very similar. I watch your thread with interest.                        Terry

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2016, 12:02:04 PM »
I did start on two 4" ploughing engines in my youth but I'm only building one 2" one this time around  ;) I have two 5" Gauge locomotive that I should get back to one day :paranoia:

Jo

P.S. I was about to give up on posting the triples as there didn't seem to be a lot of interest and it is just the same thing time, and time, and time again, that will take forever  :noidea:.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2016, 12:29:16 PM »
It would be a shame to stop posting on the triples,  I'm sure that there will always somebody following and getting  inspired...I certainly am. It is good to see something being made that is completely different to one's own project and find ways of doing things that you can adapt/ apply.  :LickLips:  Please keep on with your nine cylinders!!                   Terry

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2016, 02:11:28 PM »
Please keep on with your nine cylinders!!

:facepalm2: Nine cylinders, 9 double eccentrics (3 split  :(), 18 eccentric rods......... What have I done :paranoia:

Oh for a nice simple single cylinder engine  :Love:

Jo

Online AOG

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2016, 04:56:37 PM »
Jo it sounds like your starting to get burned out on the triplets. Take a break and go do something else. When was the last time you did a nice little barstock engine?  Go do an Elmer's or one of the small Liney engines. With your tools and skills you should be able to bang one out in a weekend or 2. That will give you some "me time" away from your triple harem.

Tony

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2016, 09:15:34 PM »
Back to the early part of my build.....before and after pics of one of the back wheels. I decided not to bother with strakes so rubber straight to the rims. Then the usual routine of making the crankshaft bearings.     I'm afraid I haven't worked out how to place text between photos yet :headscratch:             Terry

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2016, 10:23:32 PM »
Hm..thought I'd posted on your thread Terry.
Sorry about that.
I've been watching and enjoying. Nice work!

I don't think you can put text in between attachments. Only if you paste pictures/links in the reply.
If that's not true...then I'd like to know how too.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2016, 12:37:26 PM »
Thank you Zee,      Belly tank testing today........two of my granddaughters on leak spotting duties.......very slight from just two rivets....success I reckon :whoohoo:          I could not believe how heavy it was when full.                Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2016, 04:30:31 PM »
  I had a few spare moments today so I decided it was time to bring this rather chaotic thread up to date by posting most of the "old" photos.  They are all obvious / boring to all you precision people so I include minimum descriptions.  First up I made bits of gearchange, then went on to the eccentric bits.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2016, 04:38:57 PM »
This was followed by making the upper gear guard / reversing lever quadrant and I then started on the tender.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal