Author Topic: 4"Burrell single crank compound traction engine  (Read 64085 times)

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
Re: 4"Burrell single crank compound traction engine
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 04:12:51 PM »
Just to be different I've re-designed my front wheels to have the spokes on alternate sides of the T-ring as per the SCC engine in the Burrell museum. If nothing else it means all the spokes have the same bend angles and bend lines.

Andrew

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 05:01:16 PM »
Hi Andrew,      You know me by now.........bog standard, just following the drawings. (within reason)   besides, we have a full size scc Devonshire at work plus a Gold Medal, both have their spokes on the insides,   Vive le difference!     Best Wishes     Terry

Offline loggerhogger

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 05:45:13 PM »
Very nice work. Keep us posted on your progress.

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 08:33:23 PM »
Hi Andrew,      You know me by now.........bog standard, just following the drawings. (within reason)   besides, we have a full size scc Devonshire at work plus a Gold Medal, both have their spokes on the insides,

May be it's the engine at the Burrell museum that is the odd one out.

Of course I'd be further ahead if I was working more closely to the drawings.  :ThumbsUp: But I'd be producing even more scrap than normal, as there seem to be a considerable number of errors and omissions. Ultimately it's the engineering and the design theory behind it that interests me and not the engines per se. As an example that is why I spent ages designing and making hollow cast iron pistons rather than just use solid aluminium.  :facepalm:

Andrew

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 04:48:44 PM »
Hi Andrew,     I'm wrong again :embarassed: walking past our Gold Medal tractor today I noticed the front wheel spoke palms are on BOTH sides of the tee ring!!!    more apologies.....Terry

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2016, 11:05:11 AM »
Terry: I'm being a bit slow here - an obvious question is where do you work that you have a couple of full size traction engines lying about?

I've attached a 3D PDF of my front wheel assembly. Note that the hub cap is shown as gunmetal colour. I've been b*****ked on another forum for that, as being non-prototypical.  :'( So I'm going to bin the original castings and have bought some cast iron bar to make new ones instead.

Andrew

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 11:35:31 AM »
Hi Andrew,   Our scc has cast iron hubcaps.  The gold medals are brass, but incorrectly retained by brass slotted screws.  Your wheel assy loooks spot on.

I will email you...........Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2016, 09:46:13 PM »
Been making the big end tonight.    Usual procedure.... cut the block in half, mill faces and soft solder together. then square up to size. My next move will be to bore the hole for the crank pin. No DRO, etc  just an old fashioned mark out then "split the pops"

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2016, 08:46:22 PM »
Hello again,  I'm afraid that this thread is going to be almost in two parallel parts......current progress alongside the older pics taken over the years that I have now sorted :ShakeHead: Soon after I started with the front axle and wheels I moved onto the smokebox and perch bracket. All basic stuff again as you can see in the photos. The old Colchester handled this ok. This was followed by the smokebox door and name rings, etc. I have since added a  baffle to the inside of the door, mainly to protect the paint as on full size.     Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2016, 09:07:35 PM »
To continue........next was mark out, cut and drill the hornplates.  These were bought guilitined to size then all cut-outs chain drilled and jigsawed then filed to size. I have included a photo of my Colchester, I was told that it was WW1 vintage. I drove it by flat belt from a 2hp 1ph motor slung underneath on a piece of scaffold tube! It was aquired from a scrapyard. Very worn I did not keep it long, not having the skill, funds or sense to restore it. :shrug:    The shop was very cluttered in those days.             Terry

Offline mal webber

• Wales UK
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2016, 09:43:26 PM »
Hi Terry
 Very nice work there, how far along is the engine to date Terry.

Mal.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2016, 10:02:40 PM »
Thanks Mal,    Lets just say it's progressing....you will have to be patient. I've got most of the old pics sorted and will post them soon.       I'm currently working on the con rod. I milled the angled slot for the cotter using the cotter to set the angle on the big end bearing. Then a drill and a small endmill to tickle out the slot in the strap and then filed to size. I was a bit concerned about drilling the rod end for the fitted bolts....you can see the cobbled up set up I finished up with :lolb:      fingers crossed!              Terry

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2016, 12:06:49 AM »
Most impressive Terry not to mention HUGE as well. I have to ask, will you be building a cart to sit on and ride behind it when under steam?

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 12:50:50 AM »
No kidding!  This thing is huge!  What's the thickness of those horn plates?  is it 1/4"?  They look massive.  And heavy!  Mighty impressive, is all I can say...
Kim

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2016, 09:00:51 PM »
Hi Bill, the usual set up on a big 4inch is to hang a seat on the back of the tender with footrest dropped from the towing bracket.  My  great grandson just fits on the footplate at present.

Yes Kim the hornplates are 1/4".  As I get older I find it harder to lift a lot of the bits.  As I've mentioned before I shouldn't really be building a 4" scale with my equipment.

Terry

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal